VOGONS

First post, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Asus TXP4-X have old Award bios. I use the Asus TX97-XE in it anyway, but both bioses cannot be opened using normal Modbin version that I use for all these Award bioses, claiming that "bios is not version 6.0":

Modbin_bios_version_not_6_0.png

Now... witch version of Modbin is possible to use there? I need to look, if there can be unlocked TRP (precharge) settings to lower value that too slow 3... Because I don't know any MemSet equivalent that let me change the Intel 430TX ram settings 🙁

Anyone can suggest application that can open this bios?

Attachments

• Filename
    Asus TX97-XE bios.zip
    File size
    103.77 KiB
    Downloads
    138 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong. Voltaire
I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts... Hemingway

Reply 1 of 9, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently went through the same issue with an old 4.50G bios in my Lucky star motherboard.
Try the version I have attached.

EDIT. I just tried it with Your bios, works fine. Unless You are a serious bios hacker there doesn't appear to be
too much You can adjust.

Attachments

• Filename
    modbin63.zip
    File size
    58.09 KiB
    Downloads
    452 downloads
    File license

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 2 of 9, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That version of Modbin does not work under WinXP, right? Because it did not start for me, while all the v2.02+ versions can be used under WinXP... And you say that there is no way to set / unlock the TRP to 2? That is very very sad...

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong. Voltaire
I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts... Hemingway

Reply 3 of 9, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used Winxp 32bit and it worked fine. If You are using 64bit then it won't work. Download Hiren's boot cd and boot
off of Mini Winxp if You need 32bit, then run the software from Your hdd.

Hit F2 in modbin for more options, I only just discovered that.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 4 of 9, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What do you do that it works for you? For me, even when I start it from the shell, it just silently exit and that it is. It says "cannot execute":

Modbin_cannot_execute.png

And I run on 32bit WinXP (old P4 used) ... so I did not understand, why it cannot start.

F2 gives more options? Sounds good. Mine Modbin v2.01.02 only (after F2) save the bios and all the modules from it to rootdir anc exited...

Reply 5 of 9, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The version I posted above works fine on my home computer and my work computer which runs a Virtual Winxp32. No idea why it doesn't work for You.

Attachments

• modbin.jpg
    Filename
    modbin.jpg
    File size
    61.06 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 9, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, emulated WinXP! No wonder I won't run for me then on real WinXP...

Reply 8 of 9, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
trodas wrote:

Ah, emulated WinXP! No wonder I won't run for me then on real WinXP...

You misunderstood. My Home XP is real XP32, works fine on that. Just try Dos as has been suggested.

Reply 9 of 9, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I still remember how pissed I was with Award with their bios upgrade software, It just failed to upgrade a damn bios in the mid and then you lost the computer use...
I was in a game, add the working bios on computer, turn on, remove it when booted and insert the corrupted bios, now I tried with a third party software to upgrade the bios and tadah, no problem...