VOGONS

First post, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys, I understand, that this is "slightly extreme", but maybe I can find someone who "was there before" and could give me some info, as to witch graphic card I should be using on Socket 7 (that means Pentium 1, no MMX) mainboard with PCI slots.
For example GF 2 MX400 refuse to even post...

I use S3 Trio64 (v1), yet the display is trashed a lot:

7_15_x_1_5_P90_superlow_clock.png

The reason is simple - it is running at 3.57MHz PCI bus clock. And I'm not kidding. Asus TXP4-X mainboard use ICS 9169 PLL chip. That chip can be tricked to FSB clock reference / 2. Reference clock being 14.31818MHz, witch give 7.14MHz FSB. This is not that big problem for some CPU's (AMD K5 PR75 refuse to post, BTW), however the PCI clock is, in this case, reference / 4 = 3,579545MHz.

I wish I was kidding, but I'm not:
ICS_9169_PCI_bus_lock_possible.jpg
http://web.archive.org/web/20000919074447/htt … df/9169c-27.pdf

So I would like to have a graphic card, that can work w/o the trashing of the display, as shown above, in 1024x768 resolution and at least 256 colors, so the background is "visible."

It does work just fine in VGA mode, but WinXP have a support for S3 Trio64 build-in and enforce me to 800x600 with 16bit and that it is. No way to change resolution or even depth of the display (only v1 Trio64 + 1MB ram installed only).

So, can someone suggest a graphic card, capable of showing nicer graphics at 3.57MHz PCI bus clock? 😖 I know that this is kinda extreme, but any help could come handy 😖

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong. Voltaire
I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts... Hemingway

Reply 2 of 17, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't need to find a graphics card that works at such low speeds. As long as it work in VGA mode you can always create another entry in "boot.ini" with the "/basevideo" parameter, which will force it to use the generic VGA driver.

Reply 3 of 17, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

j^aws -

I'd suggest an ISA card and dual boot between PCI and ISA.

I'm affraid of ISA graphic cards and as I look there: Eliandas ISA VGA card roundup
...the nice Tseng ET4000AX gfx card is kinda overpriced today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fruhe-original-Tseng- … =item43e186be2a

But the major problem is this - how do you know, that at the 7.14MHz FSB setting it will work at all? What if the ISA bus is just as slow, as the PCI?

alexanrs -

Don't need to find a graphics card that works at such low speeds. As long as it work in VGA mode you can always create another entry in "boot.ini" with the "/basevideo" parameter, which will force it to use the generic VGA driver.

That is good idea. Hopefully I can manage 800x600 in 16 colors too... or is there any way to get 256 colors?

And the boot.ini looks this way:

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Where I should be adding the /basevideo ...? After the /fastdetect?

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong. Voltaire
I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts... Hemingway

Reply 4 of 17, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (VGA mode)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /basevideo

I believe you can use the above and have two boot entries: one using the regular driver (for normal+OCed operation), and a second entry that enables VGA only. I'm not sure it can do anything other than 640x480, but since you are just a reboot away from using the fully fledged driver, this shouldn't but much of an issue.

Reply 5 of 17, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm affraid of ISA graphic cards and as I look there: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=41662
...the nice Tseng ET4000AX gfx card is kinda overpriced today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fruhe-original- ... 43e186be2a

But the major problem is this - how do you know, that at the 7.14MHz FSB setting it will work at all? What if the ISA bus is just as slow, as the PCI?

I can't imagine an ISA card would be any worse than a severely underclocked PCI card. I don't know if the ISA would be underclocked too.
Even if it were, I bet ISA cards are more tolerant to it. I would try almost any ISA card you CAN get your hands on

Reply 6 of 17, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The issue might be that in many motherboards the ISA bus run at a speed that depends on the PCI bus. Stuff like PCI/4 or PCI/3 are common enough. Running a vídeo card under 1MHz might be pushing your luck a bit too much.

Reply 7 of 17, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
trodas wrote:

I've ran ISA VGA at ridiculously slow speeds:

XT-LM2.jpg
Filename
XT-LM2.jpg
File size
412.67 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

As mentioned by alexanrs, ISA clock can be a fraction of the PCI clock, but sometimes boards let you fix it at 7.14MHz - check your BIOS settings. As mentioned by smeezekitty, try any ISA card for testing - doesn't need to be anything fancy. Sometimes, it's a matter of trial and error until something works...

Reply 8 of 17, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd stay away from ISA cards with that build though. You have mentioned that you also wanna run it with the bus OCed to 83MHz, and honestly you'd just waste the processor with a card slower than the S3 Trio 64 in DOS games. Unless running Windows at higher resolutions when the PC in that "super de-turbo mode" is a must, I'd just stick to running Windows in VGA mode in those ocasions. Even if you do get an ISA card working at higher resolutions, I'd not run the desktop at anything higher than VGA anyway, just to allow the PC to be a little less sluggish.

Reply 10 of 17, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good news! I get from friend a ATI Rage XL PCI card. A old, 8MB videoram suxxka, but even in VGA mode it offer 1024x768...! So now I can try, if I will have accelerated graphics at 10.7MHz...! Looks good, is not it?

10_7_MHz_by_various_programs.jpg 10_78_MHz_CPU_Z_2.jpg 10_78_MHz_CPU_Z_4.jpg

So the problem is solved - ATI Rage XL does the job for me. Tough I"m very curious, as why/how S3 Trio64 make the board works fine at 83MHz FSB (41.7MHz PCI clock), but when using ATI Rage XL I have to downclock to 75MHz FSB. But that give me a reason to perform the BSEL = 0 mod to get the card working at 83MHz FSB for SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEED 😀

Last edited by trodas on 2015-09-26, 15:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 17, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I tried, but no help. Can you suggest the "relevant" ones? I tried:

- increasing PCI latency to 96 (default it 32, but with the overclock, I need for SuperPi 32M stability go to 42 🙁 But I get best P90 result ever: http://hwbot.org/submission/2978646_ ) - no change

- increasing the error waits to retry from 1 on the PCI bus to 4 (max) - no help either

- disabling all the other 3 PCI slots - no change in behaviour

So I quess a hardware mod is the best way. I hope I get the Rage XL working on 83MHz and perhaps I can even lower the PCI latency? We see... Maybe things will be different with the PATA to CF reduction?

Reply 13 of 17, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
trodas wrote:

Well, I tried, but no help. Can you suggest the "relevant" ones?

Others to try:

- Passive Release
- Delayed Transaction
- Memory timings
- Video ROM shadowing
- Video BIOS Cacheable

trodas wrote:

Maybe things will be different with the PATA to CF reduction?

Also, could try:

- PCI IDE DMA modes
- Off-board IDE/ SCSI controllers

Sometimes, with trial-and-error and a bit of luck, a certain combination of the above may work.

Reply 14 of 17, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can you suggest the "relevant" ones?

- Passive Release

Tried, no luck.

- Delayed Transaction

Tried, no luck.

- Memory timings

Not tried, doubtfull that it made any difference...

- Video ROM shadowing

Tried, no luck.

- Video BIOS Cacheable

Tried, no luck.

- PCI IDE DMA modes

Not tried, intresting, but useless in the end. I want overclock for speed, not to lack the speed...

- Off-board IDE/ SCSI controllers

Did not have one, cannot try then. And I believe it could be much easier to just to the board BSEL = 0 mod to lock the PCI bus frequency. Don't you agree???

Reply 17 of 17, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

^^ Sure, BSEL = 0 looks trivial. But with any hardware mods, always be prepared to sacrifice the board if it doesn't go according to plan...!

True. I never lost board because of mod, but it indeed can happen. Still, if overclocking the bus to 41.5MHz poses no problemo for the ATi Rage XL - AND - the CF card running on the cenversion, then there is a little reason for it.
The only one problem is the missing ability to set the card as fixed device. W/O that, no second partition will be visible... not to mention the impossibility to install WinXP on removable device...

I use radeon 7000's in all my old computers. I haven't really found a board that it doesn't work in.

Rage XL PCI does this trick for me 😀 Radeon 7000 seems to new for me anyway. It will be probably hard to get drivers for WinNT on it, right? 😀 But for my ATI Rage XL it is not a problem:
http://depositfiles.com/files/h5sl7hffg
http://www.mediafire.com/?rnddw5lcbtr7uj1
https://mega.co.nz/#!XEMAQBhK!q5hwMlRm0EETsCp … d10adQJBOI7Fk8k

Beat that! 😀