VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I have this second at power supply that always ran until now. I tested some motherboard that maybe don't run but I don't know how now the supply when powered don't run the fan and make some strange popping noise like hot oil... I tried on different mobo and same thing and it don't even boot the mobo.
Is it gone in you opinion?
Thank

Last edited by 386SX on 2015-09-17, 09:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

I have this second at power supply that always ran until now. I tested some motherboard that maybe don't run but I don't know how now the supply when powered don't run the fan and make some strange popping noise like hot oil... I tried on different mobo and same thing and it don't even boot the mobo.
Is it gone in you opinion?
Thank

I would say it is gone and I would disconnect it before smoke

Reply 3 of 9, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds like one of the filtering caps finally popped. If you love it that much you might be able to fix it by replacing all the caps and checks that the voltage regulators and diodes didn't pop with it.

If the coils in the transformer overheated and unwound/melted it's pretty much gone, but if you check with guys into arcade monitor CRT repair they could teach you how to repair them.

Reply 6 of 9, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the PSU won't even start. Then there is a short circuit on the boards. Check with multimeter the power connector pins against ground to see which line is shorted and then try to find the area. If the boards have tantulum capacitors they are know to make a short when they go bad.

What boards are you talking about? Make some photos 😉

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 7 of 9, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:

If the PSU won't even start. Then there is a short circuit on the boards. Check with multimeter the power connector pins against ground to see which line is shorted and then try to find the area. If the boards have tantulum capacitors they are know to make a short when they go bad.

What boards are you talking about? Make some photos 😉

I can't make photo immediately but the boards are Unichip 386WB 367C and 486A3GX4.
But are you saying checking with the psu on or without?

Reply 8 of 9, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Without PSU. You check for shorts between power lines and ground. With multimeter you check the continuity or resistance. Search the youtube for video tutorials how to do it.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 9 of 9, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote:

I can't make photo immediately but the boards are Unichip 386WB 367C and 486A3GX4.
But are you saying checking with the psu on or without?

Off topic, but is there any chance that you have documents/manuals for Unichip 386WB 367C ?

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000