VOGONS

First post, by pojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
Trying to flash a new BIOS to my motherboard, Abit BE6. The AwardBIOS Flash Utility says:

Flash ROM is Write-Protected
Please make sure wether lockout jumpers are set to correct or not.

The thing is, I don't see any references to "lockout jumpers" in the manual. I have also disabled virus check in BIOS. Any hints?

AWDFLASH is version 8.99

Reply 2 of 5, by DragonSlayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@pojo: Thank you very much for your solution!

I just had the same exact problem with an ABIT BH6 board. I got the same exact error message and everything when using AWDFLASH version 8.99.

Like you, I also read through the entire manual looking for the solution to find no answers at all.

I just downloaded and used the older AWDFLASH version 8.23 and everything went as smooth as butter!

The funny thing is that this 1 post was the only result that came up on a Google search out of the entire internet. Now if anyone in the future has this problem with an ABIT BH6 board, they will know that this solution will work for that board as well. 😀

"There are only 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Reply 4 of 5, by DragonSlayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

Try Uniflash next time. I use it on most boards, from 486 machines to socket A stuff.

Thanks for the tip. I've never used Uniflash before. I'll have to look into it.

It seems every time I try to get one of these old motherboards up and running, it requires many hours of painstaking research and many more hours just trying to track down manuals, drivers and the latest BIOS. Then after all of that you have to scour the message boards just to learn how to deal with all of the bugs and little quirks of that particular motherboard.

The worst thing is that after you do all of that you are lucky if you don't get hung up needing some small piece of software that is impossible to find anywhere on the entire internet (including The Internet Archive) or some small piece of hardware that is made out of unobtanium and that you would need a time machine in order to retrieve, but it sure is fun when it all finally comes together and you get one of these great old vintage motherboards working 100%. 😀

"There are only 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Reply 5 of 5, by Blmlozz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Registered after finding this with the exact same problem, spent 2+hours trying to figure out BIOS settings and all other crazy methods to try to figure it out. Finished flashing in 20 seconds after using 8.23. thank you guys!