VOGONS

First post, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have two IDE ribbon cables. One is some unknown manufacturer and the other one is Asus. From the pictures can be seen that one wire is not connected in the ribbon cable. It also looks like the Asus IDE cable would not have some specific wire connected. Why is the wire not connected on the first picture and is the same thing also with the Asus cable?

2dw8fa8.jpg

314v51j.jpg

Reply 1 of 5, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's for the "Cable Select" feature.
The cable sets the device on grey connector as slave, and the black as master. Blue is for the motherboard.
The IDE devices have to be jumpered for "Cable Select" before the cable can set it.

Reply 2 of 5, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To be short - all 3 80-pin cable connectors are different.
The blue connector (motherboard) has 1 pin (#34, wire #68) grounded and the wire not connected/cut between blue and gray connectors. So motherboards can detect 80-pin cables. Gray and black connectors have the pin #34 connected. If you use this cable "topdown" - it will be detected as a 40-pin one and will work as a 40-pin one.
There are cables with the un-cutted wire #68 (so it can work topdown as an 80-pin cable) but IIRC the ATA stardard wants wire #68 cutted.
The pin #28 (the wire #56) is used for the cable select option. The slave connector (the middle one, gray) isn't connected to this wire. Blue and black (master) connectors are connected.
And the pin #20 is physically omitted in all 3 connectors.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 3 of 5, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the answers. One more question.

I noticed that the Asus ribbon cable connector is a bit narrower than the other ones I have usually seen but the pin holes are at same locations. I have not usually been using any Asus cables, so are there any problems using Asus IDE ribbons cables on other brand motherboards?

Reply 5 of 5, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The size of this connector is standard (3M 3417-7000 datasheet IIRC) so I doubt someone can do something too wrong...
And about ASUS... They have bad habits with cables. Like using plugs w/o the rectangular key ledge (floppy drives connecting, yes... *censored* ASUS) and plugs on both cable sides. But an IDE cable is too simple, it's very hard to make it wrongly.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).