Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

trodas -

there is no exception for competition in lowest CPU clock challenge

Marquzz -

Yes, but there are an exception and that is when the competion is about SuperPi on 486. Since Win2k or XP doesn't work with 486, then you have to use WinNT (SuperPi 1.5 doesn't work in 98).

But I did not compete in SuperPi on 486 challenge, I challenge the lowest CPU-Z *validated* clock and for that, you must have latest CPU-Z. That means WIndows 2000 or Windows XP and there is no DOS before them, so what is necessary is to change the AMD K6 multplier INTO Windows NT enviroment.

gerwin -

GRUB4DOS can do the same. Used it once to init a soundcard in pure DOS, then boot to win2k without losing the effects of that action.

That is interesting idea worth exploring. I never using something like that... how does it work - exactly? Where I can put the files that I can execute during the DOS section and then how can I start WinXP?

But a pure WinXP-compatible Setmul will be *MUCH* better 😉 Any progress on this, please?

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong. Voltaire
I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts... Hemingway

Reply 21 of 23, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Slight bump for explaination, how can I use GRUB4DOS to execute SetMul before going into WinXP ... because I have no idea how to start WinXP from DOS - this is IMHO not even possible.

So... how?

When looked at the GRUB4DOS (and WINGRUB) it seems that it should be able to boot into DOS from one small partition (there will be SetMul executed) and then wo/o restart just continue to WinXP boot from another partition.

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong. Voltaire
I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts... Hemingway

Reply 22 of 23, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a system with a C: partition with both DOS 7 and Windows 2000 on there. I can go to DOS 7 (and W2K) through the F8 boot menu. Seemingly I still have C:\DOSAPP\GRUB4DOS there with my bat file containing the following command:
GRUB.EXE --config-file="root (hd0,0);chainloader +1"
When executed, the F8 boot menu appears again without a full reboot. It is possible 😎

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 23 of 23, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the tip. Another idea seems to have partition in image file... and another could be 3 partitions: GRUB + DOS (SetMul) in one, WinXP in another and data / Win backups in third 😀

However the TXP4-X can set 2x multi for AMD K6-III+ w/o SetMul, just with the jumpers. Contrary to manual, x2 settings is x6 ( http://valid.x86.fr/ljdyc2 ), but x2.5 settings goes for x2 multi in reality. So lowest I can get it 50x2 ... x3.5 multi works too: http://valid.x86.fr/nhhdtc

But what is bad is, that the 7.14MHz FSB settings does not post with AMD K6-III+, witch is heartbreaker. That was the whole point...

So ATM is only a question if:
1 - my P90 is a miracle CPU that work at such slow clocks (hard to believe that, when I saw 8MHz and even 2MHz CPU's)
2 - AMD CPU's take this clock as testing and do not react on it, while Intel just does not care - that could be a BIOS question then...