VOGONS

First post, by bloodbath2you

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey ! this is my first post, and right now got my Acer 486 overclocked at whopping 123 Mhz!, anyways it was kind of risky and difficult, but FUN 😁 theres not much documented info of the mobo and had to get a clue how the improvise the jumper positions without killing the mobo(i've killed two in this year 🤣) and which specific jumpers will work...i kept the voltage at 3v and seemed pretty stable

ladies and gentlemen, the specs!

PC: AcerMate 466d
MOBO : Acer A1G4
CPU : Enhanced Am486DX2-66 8KBWT
HD : Seagate ST34321 4,2 GB HD limited to 2gb because of the bios limitation. (nice and fast HD), it replaced the old slow 423mb seagate
VIDEO : Onboard Cirrus Logic CL-GD5422/24 ISA/VLB(Not sure, but its too slow to be VLB, also i tested at 50Mhz FSB and got working, strange huh?) with 512Kb VRAM(Expandable to 1MB)
NO CACHE L2 'cuz im poor 😜
RAM : 36Mb RAM (Slow 100ns or something more)
No VLB or PCI slots :'(

Telling about of the lack of vlb, pci ports and cache seems like this 486 used to be a budget machine even for 1995... but its fully overclockable, i've running it at 100Mhz 50mhz fsb for 7 moths with no problems. another cool thing its that its complete, w/ original monitor and keyboard 😀

PICS

http://imgur.com/a/lZ1cZ#ijvomlp

I really want to get full perfomance of this pc, but upgrading it will really take me time and $$$, here in chile is nearly impossible to get cache chips and dram chips, the only way is finding trashed pc's or asking at fixing stores, i asked before to a nice employee at some store and gave me some isa cards but no mobos.

ps : yea i got shitty grammar :c, thats because i speak spanish and my english mmm is so so.

Reply 1 of 5, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you running on a 60MHz bus? You'd probably be safer using the Am486DX2-66 16BGC as that one is .35micron and is basically the same as the am5x86 except for having a 2x/3x selectable multiplier instead of 3x/4x. I recommend using 3x to put less stress on the motherboard unless you are sure it can handle 60/66MHz.

Feipao has a 16BGC chip running at 2x66 at 133MHz without trouble on a Biostar PCI motherboard.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 5, by bloodbath2you

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

mmm, its very hard to explain because i just did everything using trial and error, its weird because i set the mobo to 33mhz, but i tweaked two jumpers that work together that allow to switch the mobo's speed between from 25-33mhz to 40-50mhz, and opened a jumper labeled am2/3x... weird

Reply 3 of 5, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to have one AMI 486 PCI board and one of the AM486DX2-66. The board with this particular cpu combination would allow the change of multi from 2x to 3x (jumper was actually for enabling the WB cache on WB cache supported cpus - weird right?). With FSB at 40MHz it would run at 120MHz without a problem. This was verified with benchmarks. Only this CPU could change multi. I tried with other DX2's and they stayed at 2x.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 5, by bloodbath2you

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thats interesting, also i tried something like that , but when i set directly to 40mhz fsb 3x multi weird results happen, its supposed to be 120mhz but falls down to 60mhz (?!), thats because i cannot access from 33 to 40mhz directly, i have to do a weird combination betwen two jumpers (jp19-17) to get the fsb to 40mhz then 123mhz, and sometimes just wont boot when the voltage is at 3v, i hope that wont kill the mobo because it seems stable but not fast as 100mhz with 33mhz with correct jumpers..weird

if someone is interested heres some info of the mobo : http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/acer/mb/aca1g4.htm

Reply 5 of 5, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are many different kinds of DX2s. Some of them (I'm looking at you AMD) may have slightly weird pinouts which may explain the odd results when playing with the multiplier and cache jumpers. My impression about amd DX2 chips is that all of the 3.3V models should have the 2/3X multiplier. I don't believe the 5V models do, but I have been proven wrong in the past by weird things like 5V 486s with writeback cache.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium