VOGONS

First post, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looking to pass audio from Retro City Rampage 486 through a sound card (instead of just using the PC speaker or patching into the PC speaker line directly), and I was wondering what ISA sound cards have the ability to either intercept the data via the ISA bus or can use a wire to the speaker header on the motherboard? I've got a nice selection of cards to pick from and I think my PAS-16 should work fine for this, but I would not want to overlook others that I may have or should look into if you guys might know of other cards. To be honest, my PAS-16 is a little on the noisy side and the bass seems a bit off (and yes its getting a good clean -5v). I think its time to recap it, and a whole host of other vintage hardware I have. I just look at it and see pile of WORK and cant make myself get to it during this hot summer (as my new storage building/workshop is currently uncooled). So any other cards to consider until I get to reworking this card in the fall or winter?

Reply 1 of 4, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My SB Pro 2 and SB 16 cards have a PC SPK header.

PAS 16 does it through the ISA bus AFAIK.

SB Pro 2 routes the PC SPK through without having to be initialized, so you get that POST beep through the speakers as well 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 4, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kodai wrote:

Danke! I will use my SB Pro 2 then. BTW, looking forward to seeing your review of the DreamBlaster X1.

Me too! I've done lots of testing and we've discovered two bugs, but they all have been solved 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 4, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, the SB Pro 2 works very nicely. We've used it for the capture of 8088 MPH at the party place.
There's a special PC speaker channel in the mixer, so you can control the level relative to the SBP outputs. And of course the volume wheel at the back is a master volume which attenuates everything, including the PC speaker signal.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/