Vintage Hardware Wallpapers

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Vintage Hardware Wallpapers

Postby SquallStrife » 2014-7-26 @ 03:05

I stumbled on to this image while hunting through my decade-old "My Documents" folder:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w148 ... fe/386.jpg

Which got me thinking that surely we have some awesome vintage hardware themed wallpapers in our archives.

So what are you waiting for? Share them!! :D
VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread
[retro swim] | Link | Release Thread
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RetroSwimAU
SquallStrife
l33t

Re: Vintage Hardware Wallpapers

Postby leileilol » 2014-7-26 @ 03:17

An image ripped off the PowerVR site circa 1998 used to serve as a wallpaper. Note that Archive.org did not save this image at all - had to dig this up off a backup.

Consists of the PowerVR triangle, some circles and a zoomed in picture of a volcano erupting
Attachments
powervr.jpg
(22.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet
leileilol
l33t++

Postby JayCeeBee64 » 2014-7-26 @ 04:27

Here's one that should be familiar to all Voodoo 2 owners :-D

I can't remember where I found this one, but it still looks pretty good IMO :cool:

And now for something completely different :wink:

It's dangerous to go SPAALONE! Take Babuguus

"SPAALONEBABUGUUSCOOTIES!"
JayCeeBee64
Oldbie

Postby Mau1wurf1977 » 2014-7-26 @ 04:31

JayCeeBee64 wrote:Here's one that should be familiar to all Voodoo 2 owners :-D

Classic :happy:
Mau1wurf1977
l33t++

Postby leileilol » 2014-7-26 @ 04:55

well technically that's just 3 monitors with several Photoshop windows open :)
leileilol
l33t++

Postby JayCeeBee64 » 2014-7-26 @ 17:29

leileilol wrote:well technically that's just 3 monitors with several Photoshop windows open :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: (someone.....help.........can't.......stop.......... :lol: )

Ahem (manages to recover somehow). Nice one leileilol :happy:

Here are a few more I found while raiding my old 80GB Seagate hard drive. Enjoy :happy:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

JayCeeBee64
Oldbie

Postby jwt27 » 2014-7-26 @ 18:19

Radeon 9100: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img853/1755/eh0e.jpg (boring chip but the lighting makes it look cool)
Had a picture of the Vogons logo on a CRT too, but the motherfuckers at imageshack decided to hide the full size link behind a paywall. And I don't remember where I posted it earlier or where it is on my harddrive. Please excuse my language but these kind of jokes really piss me off.
WANTED - Manuals/drivers for:
  • Tecmar Graphics Master
  • Paradise Autoswitch EGA 350 (EGA1A)
jwt27
Oldbie

Postby Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman » 2014-7-26 @ 19:52

Does original photograph count? ;)

Well at least it's my wallpaper on the B460 laptop. :blush:
Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Say no to online installer.
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
l33t

Postby obobskivich » 2014-7-26 @ 20:05

Found a few that I've snagged over the years...

JayCeeBee64: know anything about the case(s) in that triple-monitor picture?
obobskivich
l33t

Postby JayCeeBee64 » 2014-7-26 @ 21:03

Sorry obobskivich, I don't. That pic was a chance find on Usenet back in 2005 - was browsing through alt.binaries.boneless when I saw a bunch of images posted, and the triple-monitor one was simply among them. No details or info were given (even the filenames were generic).

JayCeeBee64
Oldbie

Postby Stiletto » 2014-7-27 @ 17:31

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto
Stiletto
l33t

Postby obobskivich » 2014-7-27 @ 18:32

Stiletto wrote:Skillz :D
http://nagomiko.net/html/a.htm

To pay the bills and then some... :lol:

I think it looks more like modular shelving that was just "hacked" to hold the hardware than a specific case upon further looking as well. Interesting. :blush:
obobskivich
l33t

Postby JayCeeBee64 » 2014-7-27 @ 20:20

Impressive. You really have mad Google Skillz Stiletto (and it's obvious that mine are too ordinary to even compare - I've had that pic for close to 10 years and never even found out where it came from :sweatdrop: ). I humbly bow down to show my gratitude and respect.

JayCeeBee64
Oldbie

Postby Stiletto » 2014-7-27 @ 21:56

JayCeeBee64 wrote:

Impressive. You really have mad Google Skillz Stiletto (and it's obvious that mine are too ordinary to even compare - I've had that pic for close to 10 years and never even found out where it came from :sweatdrop: ). I humbly bow down to show my gratitude and respect.

Well... I do. :)

But in this case it's pretty easy. I'll break it down:

1. (and this is key) Google Image Search these days can take a image as input - aka "reverse image search". Open https://images.google.com in a new tab/window. Go to the page/site where your image resides. Left-click and drag the image towards the Google Image tab. Hover the cursor over the tab/window so that it re-opens. Finally, let go of the left mouse button when the mouse cursor is over the Google Image entry. It will show that it accepted your image as something to search for, then redirect to a page of results. This results page is pretty interesting. It can give you a list of every site linking to any size version of your image, list just the main sites, gives you a suspected search query, display similar images, all sorts of things.
There are other ways to do this, even other sites (http://www.tineye.com was the first I knew of, but of course Google leverages all their tricks.)

2. Gave me a small list of results, so I cherry-picked the ones likely to yield additional info. One was a British computer forum. They talked about the image, displayed others from the builder, and linked to his Japanese website. :)
"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto
Stiletto
l33t

Postby ElectricMonk » 2014-7-28 @ 03:49

JayCeeBee64 wrote:
And now for something completely different :wink:

I-Is that an SGPIO on the top left shelf?

As an aside, are these limited to vintage PC hardware, or can anybody join in with vintage hardware pics of PCBs from non-PC vendors (Cray, SGI, Sun, FM-Towns, Neo-Geo, Arcade boards, etc...) ? Or are those verboten?
ElectricMonk

Postby JayCeeBee64 » 2014-7-28 @ 04:39

Stiletto wrote:.......

Excellent, thanks for the info & tips. I just tried this on another pic I've had for a number of years and it worked! Now to separate those images I have little to no info about and find out where they came from :-D

JayCeeBee64
Oldbie

Postby ElectricMonk » 2014-7-28 @ 14:30

ElectricMonk wrote:As an aside, are these limited to vintage PC hardware, or can anybody join in with vintage hardware pics of PCBs from non-PC vendors (Cray, SGI, Sun, FM-Towns, Neo-Geo, Arcade boards, etc...) ? Or are those verboten?

Guess I got my (non) answer. I'll hang onto the pics, until somebody decides to clue me in on where the pics I have belong.

/Would still love to now what those device in the upper left corner are (they really do look like SGPIOs I've seen), but I guess that will remain a mystery for the ages. :/
ElectricMonk

Postby obobskivich » 2014-7-28 @ 16:54

ElectricMonk wrote:/Would still love to now what those device in the upper left corner are (they really do look like SGPIOs I've seen), but I guess that will remain a mystery for the ages. :/

I think the problem is that it isn't anyone here's setup, and the page it comes from acknowledges that it's something like a decade old. That's probably why you aren't getting an answer - because nobody knows that much about it. :blush:
obobskivich
l33t

Postby ElectricMonk » 2014-7-28 @ 17:06

obobskivich wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote:/Would still love to now what those device in the upper left corner are (they really do look like SGPIOs I've seen), but I guess that will remain a mystery for the ages. :/

I think the problem is that it isn't anyone here's setup, and the page it comes from acknowledges that it's something like a decade old. That's probably why you aren't getting an answer - because nobody knows that much about it. :blush:

Darn. I ran across this diagram, and the LEDs on the board above what could be HDDs reminded me of it.

Still, that's an one impressive looking setup.

The only things I've see that were more impressive were the Co-location in my old office for a small WISP I worked for, before they relocated all the gear to a Co-Lo in Suwanee GA, and when I installed Aggregators and SONET muxers (Adtran TA-5000 and OPTI-6100) in Windstream Central Offices. Those pieces of gear are amazing (not to mention ridiculously expensive. Even the Supervisor cards were $2000 each, which were cheap compared to the the 40GigE, OC-128, and other Line Cards. I think the cheapest equipment for each one were the SFP+ modules than ran $300 each.
ElectricMonk

Postby ElectricMonk » 2014-7-28 @ 18:13

So I'm guessing that's a no, on posting pics of vintage Non-PC components, huh? (Supercomputer PCBs, SGI Infinite Reality, SUN stations, Router/Switch boards, Line Cards, Console PCBs, and the like)

Just as well, I guess. :/
ElectricMonk

Next

Return to General Old Hardware