VOGONS

First post, by Tomelloso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a very good base plate for a retro 98 pc pentium processor 4-2400 MHz and the AGP slot is only 4 x, which was the most powerful 4x agp graphics ???

Reply 1 of 5, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can usually just use 8x cards... But that would be boring.

I think the Radeon 7500 was AGP 4x and it was an awesome card. Some of the earlier GeForce 4 Ti cards were AGP 4x I believe. Which is faster is debatable and always has been, depends what you try to run but generally they will fare fine in period correct applications and have their own different pros and cons.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 2 of 5, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any 1.5V AGP card should work on that motherboard. Voodoo3 will not, as it needs an older 3.3V AGP slot (and unless you're using something like a SiS chipset, yours is probably 1.5V only).
The most powerful, and with decent Win98 compatibility, should be something like a GeForce 6800. Unless you, for some reason, want Pixel Shader 2/3 compatibility and good performance, though, you can settle for a higher end GeForce FX.

Also, people mentioned before that ATi had more problematic support for WIn9x with their later cards, so do some research beforehand. If it is a Windows XP system, though, you can just use whatever fits the slot.

Reply 3 of 5, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had an geforce 4400 back in the day, the 4xxx series was AGP 4x in earlier revisions and then the later models went to 8x.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4 of 5, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 8x cards work in 4x slots, just at a "reduced" speed.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5 of 5, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

is there a windows 3.11 driver for radeon 7500?

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP