VOGONS

First post, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Im starting to really REALLY like this motherboard.

The maximum amount of onboard memory the PC Chips M209 supports is supposed to be 4x1MB SIPP modules as the board can not use its 8 DIPP sockets at the same time to get the 5MB many other 286 boards support.

But wait a minut, what is this?

Click for a large image.

16MB_in_the_BIOS.JPG
Filename
16MB_in_the_BIOS.JPG
File size
4.24 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

That can never work? or does it?

16MB_DOS_free_mem.JPG
Filename
16MB_DOS_free_mem.JPG
File size
4.24 MiB
Views
File license

The PC Chips M209 with the memory installed

16MB_PC_Chips_M209.JPG
Filename
16MB_PC_Chips_M209.JPG
File size
4.39 MiB
Views
File license

The modules I used.

16MB_the_modules.JPG
Filename
16MB_the_modules.JPG
File size
4.25 MiB
Views
File license

The modules are 3 chip modules which makes it even harder to understand why it works but Im not complaining. These are my only 4MB 30pin modules and they are going to be installed on a couple of SB32 cards but I should soon have some more 4MB modules to play with I hope 😀. I have tested some games and the system seems stable at 20MHz with 16MB and with what I think is 0 wait states both with and without parity activated.

There is one bug though, every other soft reset (like clockwork) the system sees an additional 8MB EMS board that in reality dosnt exist, as EMS is disabled in the BIOS this isnt an issue I can just ignore that message and all 16MB will work. If I enter the BIOS during such a bugged soft reboot the BIOS sees 16MB onboard memory plus a 8MB EMS board and if I save the settings only 8MB memory will be detected the next post as 8MB will be occupied by the non existing EMS board until I enter the BIOS and save settings again during a non bugged reset or a cold boot. I can still use EMS memory if I want to by lowering the amount of XMS memory in the BIOS and and set an EMS memory value that fits under 16MB using the onboard memory. During cold boots everything works as it should every time.

The missing 384KB does not have to do with using alot of memory, this board can simply not remap the upper 384KB of the first 1MB.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 1 of 4, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the remapping was only useful for those with only 1MB RAM so that they could run Windows in standard mode. I'd much rather have the 384k used as UMB so that I load drivers there and save conventional memory.

Good job on the 16MB upgrade. I used to have an M209, but back in those days I didn't have access to spare 30 pin SIMM sockets and just had 1M SIPPs.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 4, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one 286 board with SIMMs and it also takes 16MB (4x4MB). Although it is slower with this amount of memory - memory transfer rate drops a few MB/s.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 3 of 4, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:

I have one 286 board with SIMMs and it also takes 16MB (4x4MB). Although it is slower with this amount of memory - memory transfer rate drops a few MB/s.

I did not see any performance degradation but I have only benched MIPS and Landmark so far, not really state of the art benchmarks even for a 286 😀

Sooner or later I will install Windows 3.1 only to see if a 286 with maxed out memory can run it decently. I still remember how my 386SX-16 with 4MB memory ran Windows 3.1 back in medieval times so I think I will be able to tell if the 286 with 16MB is better or worse.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 4 of 4, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Chiming in - I've found an un-corroded board with the same chipset and the same abilities and issues around detecting and setting up memory sizes.

The board layout is like this one:

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/H/HE … 86-HED-988.html

It has 4 SIPP sockets in two pairs and these could perfectly take two pairs if SIMM-30 sockets which I de-soldered from a scrapped board. Now I have 16 megs of SIMMs in it though I'm considering a downgrade to 8MB. It won't really hurt, I guess, most of the games and demos that can run on this machine are happy with 1MB (or the basic 640kB) anyway.

DOS and Windows 3.1 seems to correctly handle the 16MB though, and it's fun to say that I've maxed out the entire address space of a processor, not many platforms/boards let me do this 🤣 (I have 386SX and 486SLC with 16MB too but those are just cost cut versions of CPUs that can address 4GB).

The downside is, I can't seem to find any way to activate WS0 operation so despite having a 20-MHz Harris CPU running at 20 MHz (I've met a 286 board with an underclocked 25-MHz CPU!) it isn't faster than my other, Headland 286-16 board.

But GUS seems to work flawlessly in this board which is important to me and the other board can't do this lately (but it could earlier, I can't wrap my head around it!) and the video speed is decent (3.9MB/s in Landmark)

I think I'll keep it and look for more games and demos that run on a 286.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any idea how to switch to 0WS mode.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts