VOGONS

Reply 40 of 49, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK Mr. Junkie,
I think we have a misunderstanding. Of course we both can count, I don't really doubt it 😵
In my original post I said there is no "standard drop in replacement" for socket PGA132 which is faster than the SXL2-50. What I really wanted to say is that there is no native CPU above the SXL2-50 in this CPU line. Of course there are socket PGA168 CPUs on a converter for the PGA132 socket, and the nice SXL2-66 you showed in the thread, but I wouldn't call then native PGA132 CPUs. I hope this claifies what I intended to say. I think my term "standard drop in replacement" was a bit misleading.

Cheers,
Fabian

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 41 of 49, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It really just depends on what you want to include in your definition. This doesn't really seem like a point worth debating. If including interposers, there is also the IBM Blue Lightning BL3, which is faster than the SXL2-66. The fastest PGA-132 CPU without an interposer is either the Cyrix DRx2-66 or the TI SXL2-50.

When I read the OP title, I interpret this as why are there no PGA-168 to PGA-132 adapters to allow for use of any PGA-168 CPU on PGA-132 motherboard. For this case, there is the Transcomputer module, which seems to work pretty well.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 42 of 49, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think that's really depending on the each person's point of view.
Some chips left the factory with interposers, some got them aftwerwards.
Same with mainboards/chipsets. Some were pure (386 or 486), some were hybrids (386+486)..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 43 of 49, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote:

did a socket adapter ever exist to put a 486 maybe the lower models onto a 386 socket?

It seems now that it did...

I hope to reverse engineer and create a copy from this one... maybe even make a socket version... rather than QFP.

Attachments

• The 386 module.jpg
    Filename
    The 386 module.jpg
    File size
    348.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by 386_junkie on 2017-08-25, 18:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 44 of 49, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What the heck is this? Why would anyone want to use a 386 CPU on a 486 motherboard? Very fascinating find. Did you try this in a socket 3 motherboard?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 45 of 49, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That might make sense with respect to the slowest 486 cpus, like 486sx16 and 486sx25.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 46 of 49, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386_junkie wrote:

I hope to reverse engineer and create a copy from this one... maybe even make a socket version... rather than QFP.

Have you tested this to work? It is very interesting indeed. It seems to be a relatively simple device. But what is the deal with the two extra rows of contacts within the socket 3 pins? Was another chip supposed to be placed there?
Hope you can share the wire routing diagram at some point.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 47 of 49, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:
386_junkie wrote:

Have you tested this to work? It is very interesting indeed. It seems to be a relatively simple device. But what is the deal with the two extra rows of contacts within the socket 3 pins? Was another chip supposed to be placed there?
Hope you can share the wire routing diagram at some point.

Have created a separate thread which will get updated as I go, there you will find progress so far: -

486 to 386 CPU module

Sure, any work I do on it will be freely available to all.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 48 of 49, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

Why would anyone want to use a 386 CPU on a 486 motherboard?

Let me retort... what technology is available to a 486,.. that is not to a 386?

I'm thinking along the lines of... PCI bus, 3D cards, chipsets etc... but I guess that would only be the beginning, it opens a door.

Reply 49 of 49, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As I stated in the other thread, this was likely an adapter for certain hybrid 386/486 boards. I really doubt it would work on a PCI motherboard.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium