VOGONS

First post, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Using the optimized WindowsXP for overclocking (SuperPi) cause that I'm running my S3 Trio64 card in VGA mode, 640x480 16colors. That suxx.

VGA_mode_suxx_bad.png

And I cannot find a driver for Windows XP and S3 Trio64. No matter how hard I try. Only for WinNT, where the drivers are good, giving the needed 1024x768. Yes, there is the files:
s3legacy.dll
s3legacy.sys
...in WinXP install. However just copy them alone into the system32 and system32/drivers for the sys file did not do anything. I need the inf file for them and I can find only a inf file for S3Trio3D in Windows XP install, but not for the legacy S3Trio64 card. That suxx 🙁

I would also like to have better driver, that one, that can allow me 1024x768 in 256colors, as on WinNT...

So, anyone having any ideas?

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong. Voltaire
I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts... Hemingway

Reply 1 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows XP should have a S3 Trio64 driver in its driver package already. I think even Windows 7 still has a Trio64 driver.

It's probably stripped from your "special overclock optimise xp" install.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 6, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, those are in the DRIVERS.CAB on my XP CD. The INFs are there somewhere in the I386 directory. I've found only the ones for Savage and Trio3D, neither of which use s3legacy.*.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 3 of 6, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Windows XP should have a S3 Trio64 driver in its driver package already. I think even Windows 7 still has a Trio64 driver.
It's probably stripped from your "special overclock optimise xp" install.

Yes to both statments, but that does not help me in any way, when the driver just "is not there" and it is not clear, how to construct the legacy S3 driver to be standalone package...

The INFs are there somewhere in the I386 directory. I've found only the ones for Savage and Trio3D, neither of which use s3legacy.*.

Exactly. So even it works with normal WinXP, the need inf files are just missing... 🙁

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong. Voltaire
I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts... Hemingway

Reply 4 of 6, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had a quick look at my INF folder on a XP virtual machine... or rather ran 'FIND /I "Trio64" *.inf | more' on the inf folder... Drivers for S3 Trio64, together with a bunch of legacy display drivers from ATi, Cirrus Logic, SGI, Tseng, Trident, WD, etc., are bundled together on the DISPLAY.INF file which should be in the INF folder of a normal XP installation. You should be able to extract that from the CD as well.

Reply 5 of 6, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried and failed... You move 😀

Reply 6 of 6, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It should be in the default driver list, otherwise you should be able to point Device Manager to DISPLAY.INF together with the s3legacy.* files.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98