Duplicate Hardware in Your Collection

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 77, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:

Oi! Which QDI Platinix 2? I think there were at least 3 or 4 versions. FWIW I'm putting parts together right now for a socket423 build based on a QDI Platinix 4X. I've become very interested in QDI motherboards lately.

The first version, just called Platinix 2 without any adittional letter

qdi.jpg

Here a pic of the model, although i seem to have multiple revisions of the same model, only differing on the 6 pin connector (one of the mobos doesn't have that connector) and/or the northbridge heatsnik (most has the same heatsnik as the picture, but i have some with a different/black heatsnik).

Unlike all newer Platinix 2 versions, the original Platinix 2 used the SDRAM based Intel 845 chipset and used a green PCB (Only the original Platinix 2 and the Platinix 2-AL used the older green PCB). Later Platinix 2 variants used a blue PCB and DDR Memory, also gained support for FSB 533.

Fun fact:

Almost every Platinix 2 mobotherboard i got came mainly with a 1.5 ghz Pentium 4 (3 of 5 came with that P4, but one came with an 1.7 ghz P4 and other with an 1.7 ghz Celeron) and i got all these mobos for free

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 61 of 77, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
candle_86 wrote:

I have 31 FX 5200 128mb 64bit cards. Don't ask 🤣 and a pair of PNY 7900GTX's and a pair of Dell 7800GTX's

I don't know why, but could you be persuaded to post a pic of your FX 5200 128MB 64-bit collection for all of us to see? 😁

no, they are in a box in a storage building, I didn't want them to begin with, and after 6 months of none selling I gave up and put them in a box in a storage building. I bought a box on ebay that just said 35 video cards, price was $100 dollars. I got 31 FX 5200, and 4 Radeon 7500. I felt highly annoyed 🤣. But if I ever drag that box out then yes you can has pictures.

Reply 62 of 77, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting thread... lets see what duplicates I have here. 😀

Plenty of various ISA Tridents, PCI S3, early Matrox, TNT2 M64, GF2 MX and other mostly useless stuff, which I lost count of. Still better to have them here, than let them get scrapped. 😈

Now something I have in my hardware list:

GPU:
13x Voodoo - various brands, two of them are Diamond Monster 3D
5x Rush - various brands
20x Voodoo2 - 4x Skywell, 3x Diamond, 3x Quantum3D, 2x A-Trend, 2x Creative, 2x PowerColor, and some others
11x Banshee - 3x Creative
4x Velocity
22x Voodoo3 - of which 8 are 2000, 9 are 3000 and 4x 3500
7x Voodoo4 - 2x PCI, 2x AGP PowerColor, 3x AGP 3dfx (one of them is modded to 64MB)
3x Voodoo5 - 1x PCI, 2x AGP (one of them defective)

5+ Rage 128
5+ Radeon 7000
5+ Radeon 7200
5x Radeon 8500 (regular and LE)
5+ Radeon 9000/9200
2x Radeon X700 Pro
2x Radeon X850 Pro AGP
2x Radeon X1600 XT
2x Radeon X1900 XTX
3x Radeon HD 2900 XT
2x Radeon HD 3850 256MB
2x Radeon HD 4830

4x GF 256 - one DDR and rest SDR
4x GF2 GTS - one 64MB, rest 32MB
3x GF4 MX 460
9x GF4 Ti - 4x Ti 4200, 3x Ti 4600 and some others
2x GF 6800 GS
2x GF 7600 GT
2x GF 7900 GS
3x GF 8800 GTX - all needs reflow before use
2x GF 8800 GT
2x GF 9800 GT

MB:
4x MSI MS-6168 with onboard Voodoo3... love these things 😀
2x Epox EP-7KXA - new, never used
2x MSI K8T Master2-FAR7
2x MSI K8N Master2-FAR - socket 940 stuff is just great

CPU:
blah, just too many to write down. 🤣 Mostly those which support SMP I have 2 or more pieces.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 63 of 77, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Carlos S. M. wrote:
The first version, just called Platinix 2 without any adittional letter […]
Show full quote
stamasd wrote:

Oi! Which QDI Platinix 2? I think there were at least 3 or 4 versions. FWIW I'm putting parts together right now for a socket423 build based on a QDI Platinix 4X. I've become very interested in QDI motherboards lately.

The first version, just called Platinix 2 without any adittional letter

Here a pic of the model, although i seem to have multiple revisions of the same model, only differing on the 6 pin connector (one of the mobos doesn't have that connector) and/or the northbridge heatsnik (most has the same heatsnik as the picture, but i have some with a different/black heatsnik).

Unlike all newer Platinix 2 versions, the original Platinix 2 used the SDRAM based Intel 845 chipset and used a green PCB (Only the original Platinix 2 and the Platinix 2-AL used the older green PCB). Later Platinix 2 variants used a blue PCB and DDR Memory, also gained support for FSB 533.

Fun fact:

Almost every Platinix 2 mobotherboard i got came mainly with a 1.5 ghz Pentium 4 (3 of 5 came with that P4, but one came with an 1.7 ghz P4 and other with an 1.7 ghz Celeron) and i got all these mobos for free

Awesome! It has the PC/PCI connector too. I have looked at many pictures of the several versions of the Platinix series, some like your earlier models have the PC/PCI connector, and the manual actually mentions it, whereas the later models don't and there's no mention of it in the manual.

However in the few high-resolution photos I have found, it seems that all of these later versions actually do have the solder holes for the PC/PCI connector in approximately the same place where it was on the earlier revisions. I have a nagging suspicion that if someone were to solder a small 3x2 header there, and put a YMF7xx card in one of the PCI slots, and connect it to the header... it would work in DOS.

To test this suspicion I have acquired a Platinix 2E/333 motherboard which does have those solder pads, and I will test it. I think it should work.

qdi-platinix-2e.jpg

Those solder holes are right between the Winbond chip, the bios chip and the buzzer in the lower left corner.

I'll test the theory when the motherboard arrives here... It may take a while since it's shipped from Germany.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 64 of 77, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, i checked and all of my Platinix 2 boards has that connector

Reply 65 of 77, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For any system I have setup in a case, I like to keep 2 spares of each piece of hardware. When an item breaks, I don't want to pay a grip to replace it. Way too much hardware to even contemplate a list.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 66 of 77, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My little duplicate list:
2x MSI K8N Neo2
2x MSI K7T Turbo VER:3 (FSC OEM boards)
2x Sound Blaster 32 (different models, both equipped with 8MB RAM)
2x Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZE
2x Terratec ESS Solo-1 (OEM boards?)
2x Creative GeForce DDR (one with DVI)
2x XFX Radeon R9 290 (lent one to my youngest brother, other one running as a 290X in my main rig)
2x Pentium II 233
2x Pentium III 800EB slot 1 (need two CPU's in a dual rig 😀 )
2x Xeon Prescott 3GHz (dual 1U server)
2x Xeon Northwood? (dual 1U server)
Bunch of 3Com EtherLink XL cards of different versions

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 67 of 77, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Other than basic things like spare hard drives or RAM sticks, I have pretty much no duplicates of any specific hardware. I'm strapped for space as is and I want to have a collection that is as varied as possible, so having too many of one item is what I would consider a waste of space and I'd be looking into selling it off if I can. Also I find it much more fulfilling to give an item to a collector/enthusasist who wants to use it, than have it sit in the basement for years taking up space and serving no purpose other than occasionally tripping over it in the dark.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus

Reply 68 of 77, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have 3 PCI Rage XL 8MB cards, 2 Sound Blaster 16s (unfortunately they do have the hanging notes bug) , 4 GeForce 2 MX AGP cards, and 3 slotted Pentium III 600Es.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 70 of 77, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:
Awesome! It has the PC/PCI connector too. I have looked at many pictures of the several versions of the Platinix series, some li […]
Show full quote

Awesome! It has the PC/PCI connector too. I have looked at many pictures of the several versions of the Platinix series, some like your earlier models have the PC/PCI connector, and the manual actually mentions it, whereas the later models don't and there's no mention of it in the manual.

However in the few high-resolution photos I have found, it seems that all of these later versions actually do have the solder holes for the PC/PCI connector in approximately the same place where it was on the earlier revisions. I have a nagging suspicion that if someone were to solder a small 3x2 header there, and put a YMF7xx card in one of the PCI slots, and connect it to the header... it would work in DOS.

To test this suspicion I have acquired a Platinix 2E/333 motherboard which does have those solder pads, and I will test it. I think it should work.

qdi-platinix-2e.jpg

Those solder holes are right between the Winbond chip, the bios chip and the buzzer in the lower left corner.

I'll test the theory when the motherboard arrives here... It may take a while since it's shipped from Germany.

I was looking for old PC recently and i found an old partial PC with a QDI Platinix 2PE/800 which is probably one of the last boards on the Platinix 2 series, sadly the PC-PCI connector has been completely removoed and no solder holes for it. The motherboard works though

Reply 72 of 77, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Barring hard drives and sets of RAM, I have very few exact or near-exact duplicates of anything to begin with. My family thinks I keep too much computer hardware in the house as is, such that I had to send a lot of the extras off to recycling before.

The main standout is my pair of AGP Voodoo5 5500 cards, although one of 'em had a bent PCB and missing MLCCs due to sitting naked in a bin full of other graphics cards. It did work when I tested it, though!

The only other case I can think of is my pair of Celeron 533s and the Thermaltake Golden Orbs strapped to 'em; they were loaded in an Abit BP6, sold altogether with about 512 or 768 MB of PC-133 SDRAM. Alas, the BP6 isn't in active use right now, partially because I don't have a spare computer case to house it in! (And partially because the PSU I would've powered it with before just died on me trying to feed my MDD G4, argh...) I've been thinking of bringing it back online just for one of my Voodoo5s, but running Win9x on it defeats the purpose of using a dual-CPU board. Maybe I could try some flavor of BeOS or Haiku for period-appropriateness' sake...

Peripherals, though... good god, I have too many IBM Model Ms and Dell AT101Ws to count, along with two linear-sprung BTC 5339 capacitive NKRO keyboards. I snap up any old keyboard I find if it's mechanical or capacitive, even if I don't regularly use it.

There's also my pair of Thrustmaster FCS sticks, but they're not identical. One is a Mark II for typical PC gameports, the other's a Mark I ADB for old Macs - perfect for Mac flight sims once you've thrown in some gameport rudder pedals and rewired any old PC WCS throttle (I had a spare WCS Mark II I got with the PC FCS as a set), since a lot of the older ones predate InputSprocket and thus do not natively support USB joysticks. It's the only way to get analog throttle and rudder control in such cases, like with A-10 Attack!/Cuba! or Flying Nightmares.

Reply 73 of 77, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When it comes to relatives (or generally just other people who dislike your hobby, but don't want to say it to you in your face), to them there's never not too much computer hardware in the house 😵

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 75 of 77, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's what I could gather from memory on the subject. Does pre-installed hardware count?

Internal Hardware:
- 2x Intel Pentium 4 2.2 GHz CPUs (One is inside a Dell laptop, the other is in a Compaq desktop)
- 2x Sound Blaster Live! sound cards (CT4670 & CT4780)
- 2x nVidia Geforce FX 5200 AGP video cards
- 2x 3Com 3C905B-TX PCI network cards
- 2x Intel Official LGA115x Heatsinks

External Peripherals:
- 3x 17-inch Dell LCD Monitors (All have a maximum resolution of 1280x1024)
- 3x Apple DVI-I to VGA Adapters (two of which are corded)
- 2x Logitech F310 USB Gamepads
- 2x Dell PA-9 AC Adapters

Reply 76 of 77, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

When it comes to relatives (or generally just other people who dislike your hobby, but don't want to say it to you in your face), to them there's never not too much computer hardware in the house 😵

Hah, don't I know it! But I find ways to make it work out, mostly through keeping everything from looking too cluttered. I figure it might help to stack desktop towers on top of one another, so long as they aren't modern designs where the top tends to be a critical part of the overall airflow for things like water-cooling radiator placement.

Also, I just remembered that I have some other duplicate peripherals.

-two Logitech WingMan Interceptor sticks (the best stick Logitech ever made, but hobbled in today's age by a digital gameport interface with no known working USB adapters and the lack of a twist rudder, with the expectation that you'd use gameport rudder pedals)
-two Gravis GamePad Pros (they came with the TM FCS/WCS Mk. II as a bonus)
-two Virtual i-O i-glasses! VPC sets with serial head-trackers (but only ONE PC interface box between them, and for some reason both of them no longer light up the left eye display regardless of source)

Let me tell you, the i-glasses! VPC will give you some serious newfound respect for today's Rift and Vive, considering the very low FOV and massive subpixels even with that taken into account. At least the PC interface box uses standard VGA and serial ports, as opposed to the Forte VFX1's VIP card that relies on ISA and a VESA feature connector, making it usable with more modern hardware so long as you can feed the HMD nothing more than 640x480@60Hz (beyond which it won't sync).