Loving my new 486!! Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 80, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:

Nice motherboard. I have the exact one myself.
Only downside is that I still have older BIOS revision and my BIOS cannot be flashed (like newer motherboards). So, mine doesn't support the last Socket 3 CPU's (like AMD 5x86, Cyrix 5x86) but, I'm happy with the AMD 486 DX4-100 CPU in it.
Fortunately, I got mine with the PS/2 header and extension cable but, have a look on Amibay or eBay.

still to this day i never got the stupid PS/2 mouse port to work!!!! i never got a multimeter to be able to figure it out
i thought that someone on this msg board.. a bunch of us seem to have this same board as its one of the nicest VLB/ISA boards i think

if i happen to figure out the pinout for the ps/2 header ojne day ill post the info
i think i maybe got an incompatible ps/2 header port thing for it.. theres got to be a pin mismatch somehow

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 61 of 80, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any ASUS PS/2 bracket will work on this bord. Its the same header as on their later Socket 5 and 7 boards

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 62 of 80, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

Any ASUS PS/2 bracket will work on this bord. Its the same header as on their later Socket 5 and 7 boards

can u show a pic of what it looks like? so i can try to find one?

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 64 of 80, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

so whats the best cpu i can put in this board?

486SX, DX, DX2, DX4ODP, 487SX, SL 486SX, DX, DX2, DX4, Am486DX4-NV8T, DX2-NV8T
Cyrix DX(2), DX2-V, DX4, 5x86, Am486DXL2, Ti486DX2-G
i486DX4-&EW, P24D, P24T, Am486DX4-SV8B

im just lookin at this page:
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/amd5x86.htm
this page says the 5x86 133 stil runs at 33mhz so does that mean its safe re: VLB stability?
because im currently using both VLB slots, one for VGA (Cirrus logic) and one for I/O
its important to stay in 33/66/100/133 factor multiplied?

Reply 65 of 80, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, the Am5x86/133 does in fact use a 33MHz FSB, so it's perfectly fine on both VLB and PCI boards. (It's 33x4, but will also run at 33x3, being pretty much exactly equivalent to an Am486DX4 with WB cache, if the CLKMUL pin isn't set right.)

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 66 of 80, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
Looks like this […]
Show full quote

Looks like this

zm_ps2_bracket_adapter_1.jpg

I'm speaking under correction but, I think that this motherboard uses this type of connector:

Attachments

Reply 68 of 80, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The one connector has one row of pin outs.
The other one has two rows of pin outs.
Not all the holes on the latter will connect to a pin on the motherboard but, they are the similar in terms of wiring (the layout is different).

I just highlighted that the layout of some of these connectors are different.

Reply 69 of 80, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even if the connectors are the same, the pin arrangement is manufacturer and sometimes board specific.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 70 of 80, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still dont see any difference. Both have two rows. Both have cables connected to the same pins

I have this board and the PS/2 bracket I'm using is wired like on the pictures.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 71 of 80, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Apologies, I didn't look closely at your picture (was a bit unclear when I viewed it the first time).
Maybe this picture will explain better what I'm trying to highlight:

images.jpg
Filename
images.jpg
File size
15.08 KiB
Views
File comment
PS/2 Mouse connector pinouts
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This motherboard uses the one in the right.

Reply 72 of 80, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:

Nice motherboard. I have the exact one myself.
Only downside is that I still have older BIOS revision and my BIOS cannot be flashed (like newer motherboards). So, mine doesn't support the last Socket 3 CPU's (like AMD 5x86, Cyrix 5x86) but, I'm happy with the AMD 486 DX4-100 CPU in it.
Fortunately, I got mine with the PS/2 header and extension cable but, have a look on Amibay or eBay.

jesolo is there any possibility of you taking a couple close up photos of that ps/2 header + cable so we can see the pin orientation?
oops didnt see the updates to the thread 😀 🤣
looks like u are one step ahead;)

i got another ps/2 header when i got my gigabyte ga586vx board recently.. ill have to check that one and crossreference to see if its the same

Reply 73 of 80, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 still havent got the mouse to work on the ps2 port! but i did get it to work properly on the serial com1

Reply 74 of 80, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@ chrisNova777

I had the same problem. This is what I found with regards to the wiring of the StarTech cables:
red - gnd
brown - data
yellow - clock
green - +5V
I plugged the individual cables onto their respective pins on the board and it worked with my Intelli PS/2 Mouse.

Reply 75 of 80, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the stability of the I/O contoller is still an issue, why not just make do with an ISA solution?
When used to run a GA-486VS @ 50mhz fsb I simply used a an ISA based controller- and a VESA based gfx card.

Reply 76 of 80, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

Nice motherboard. I have a noname UMC-based one with a similar layout, yet no PS/2 header or SMC components.
Some questions: What CPU is installed? Where did you obtain the 16MB FPM Simms, are they 70 or 60ns?

sorry Gerwin i just noticed i never responded to your question?
i had the 16MB simms given to me from a friend who took them from some compaq machines as they have the compaq name on them
the cpu that was installed in the board is a DX2-80Mhz
im not sure if its even worth buying a DX4-100Mhz
i did want to keep it at 33mhz Bus speed for stability of the VLB graphics + VLB i/o controller

Reply 77 of 80, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BlackLinus24 wrote:
@ chrisNova777 […]
Show full quote

@ chrisNova777

I had the same problem. This is what I found with regards to the wiring of the StarTech cables:
red - gnd
brown - data
yellow - clock
green - +5V
I plugged the individual cables onto their respective pins on the board and it worked with my Intelli PS/2 Mouse.

I was excited to try this just now but that configuration did not work for me
Here you can see I applied your scheme to the orientation illustrated on jealous pic and it did not work
The mouse driver installs it detects a mouse but there’s no cursor movement

if anyone can help id love to get my ps/2 mouse port working to be able to use a semi-modern mouse

like i said my system is FREEZING badly if i run anything after installing mouse.com with the mouse connected in this configuration..
but it DOES see that there is a mouse.. and lets the driver install... if anyone has a working PS/2 MOUSE with this MOTHERBOARD
PLEASE put me out of my misery and share a decent photo of your pin out scheme????????

i just found where jesolo found that pic and it was for a pentium 133mhz computer https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23927
the pinout is NOT the same for this Asus 486 motherboard

Attachments

Reply 78 of 80, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for being away for so long. Here some pictures of my motherboard. I hope you can clearly see here which wire was attached to which pin on the PS/2 connector.

Attachments