VOGONS

First post, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a Maxtor D540X-4K 20GB drive sitting in front of me, and I just can't wrap my head around the jumper settings:

3715751167557516651.jpg
Filename
3715751167557516651.jpg
File size
22.74 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My brain just can't translate what's printed on the drive to the jumper block. It doesn't make a bit of sense to me. I'm going for a slave configuration.

I found this page, but it seems to suggest no jumper at all for slave. I suppose I could just use trial and error, but I'd REALLY like to finally understand the stupid hieroglyphics on the drive. These old Maxtors make such a wonderful retro sound, I'd still keep it plugged in, even if it didn't work at all 🤣

The back of the drive looks like this:

ibm-19k1581-600gb-35-ide-hard-drive-maxtor-d540x-4k-265.jpg
Filename
ibm-19k1581-600gb-35-ide-hard-drive-maxtor-d540x-4k-265.jpg
File size
184.09 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Thanks

Reply 1 of 3, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The drive is currently in "Cable Select" position. Move the jumper one pair of pins to the right (away from the floppy connector - closer to the molex one) for Slave. See that lone pin between the jumper block and the floppy connector? That is the "key". Turn the drive upside down and it will match the table.

Reply 2 of 3, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

The drive is currently in "Cable Select" position. Move the jumper one pair of pins to the right (away from the floppy connector - closer to the molex one) for Slave. See that lone pin between the jumper block and the floppy connector? That is the "key". Turn the drive upside down and it will match the table.

Ohh, I see it now, makes way more sense upside down. Huh, can't believe that threw me off for so long. Thanks!

Reply 3 of 3, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And, of course, removing the jumper cap does set the drive to Slave. The documented position is for parking the cap, unconnected pins.

My big-red-switch 486