VOGONS

First post, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys, I would like to ask, if anyone have any experience with mixing old mainboards (like mine Socket 7 Asus TXP4-X) with modern graphic cards, such as AMD Radeon X 1300 PCI?

ATI_Radeon_X1300_PCI.jpg

For fun and LULZ I thinking about this combo, however since even my PCI GeForce 2 MX400 fail to work (yes, there are the AGP to PCI conversion chips installed...) in the TXP4-X mobo, then I'm a bit curious about the experiences of others.

Anyone can suggest something...?

As backup I thinking about Radeon 9200 PCI... Anyone know?

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong. Voltaire
I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts... Hemingway

Reply 1 of 12, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think there is a voltage difference in the PCI versions and the bandwidths are different as well. I may be wrong as this is off the top of my head and not looked up online, yet.

Just a guy with a bad tinkering habit.
i5 6600k Main Rig
too many to list old school rigs

Reply 2 of 12, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think there is a thread around here that details attempts to get modern PCI graphics cards working on old 486 mobos...

EDIT: Found it! Modern graphics on a 486 Again, it's for 486 boards. There's probably a thread or two talking about getting modern PCI graphics cards working on socket 7 boards like yours as well.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 3 of 12, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bullmecha wrote:

I think there is a voltage difference in the PCI versions and the bandwidths are different as well. I may be wrong as this is off the top of my head and not looked up online, yet.

The two notches on the pictured card indicate that it is able to run at either voltage (5V or 3.3) - is that what you meant or was there *another* voltage change in the spec?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 4 of 12, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As for the voltage, the PCI card should be universal, as 3 notches (in AGP too, for example) always indicate. But maybe it will not like 33MHz PCI bus instead of 66...?

Sutekh94 - thanks for the thread, but there are discussing cards from the TNT era. I talking about X1300 Radeon, witch is years away from such oldschool stuff 😀 That is the reall challenge. I seen on back of Radeon 9250 the similar chips, that are on my GF 2 MX400 and that card refuse to work... 🙁

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong. Voltaire
I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts... Hemingway

Reply 5 of 12, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There was a guy using a pci Geforce 8400gs on a Socket 370 motherboard a while back if I remember correctly.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6 of 12, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 3.3v/5v issue and bus speed shouldn't be a problem. 5V 33MHz PCI slots were always standard for consumer motherboards. 3.3v slots and those that supported 66MHz and faster were never common. A card like this was targeting basic P4 machines with nothing but PCI slots in them, and those would have been 5v 33MHz slots.
I don't know the details of the changes in the PCI spec, but that's certainly a concern. The card probably officially asks for a later PCI revision than an old motherboard would comply with.
The only change I know about is an extra voltage line that was optional in older PCI slots but became mandatory later. I have no idea if it's relevant here. I don't remember if it was a standby voltage, or an aux/extra power supply line.

I have run into some compatibility issues with wireless network cards and USB 2.0 cards on old machines, but in both cases working cards did exist.
I haven't tried any late video cards on a socket-7. If there are some that are electrically compatible, they might also have driver problems. The drivers might require later instructions like SSE. But I haven't tried it. You've got me curious now. 😀

Reply 7 of 12, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, if this is about adding voltage on the PCI slot, then that mod is possible 😀

As for drivers - hopefully they manage with MMX and 3DNow(+) my K6-III+ offer: http://hwbot.org/submission/2991586_

But certainly I wonder, what could be possible there. I see a guy with AMD K6-III+ and GeForce 2ti. To beat him, a better GFX card is need in the PCI slots 😀

Reply 8 of 12, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just beware the driver overhead. Even if the card itself is way more powerful than a Geforce2, the driver's CPU overhead might make it stutter and get worse FPS. GeForce FX cards are usually a good bet, being both decently compatible with older stuff and offering decent DX7/8 performance.

Reply 9 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually I remember Feipoa posting about running some tests on one of his slower machines and the FX series had more overhead than older GeForce cards. The only reason I would consider a non-contemporary card for a Pentium system would be for a DVI port. GF4MX is typically suggested.

Reply 10 of 12, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd ditch that motherboard and go with an AGP one. Opens up so many more options. K6-III+ with GeForce4? No problem if that's what you're after.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 11 of 12, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks Swaaye; I had forgotten about that [recent] work already. In short, the graphics card performance depended on the resolution, game, driver revision, and OS.

The FX5500 outperformed the GF2MX400 in 3DMark2000 at higher resolutions (1152x864), but not at lower resolutions (800x600). In Final Reality (DX5), the FX5500 was horifically slow. In GLQuake, the GF2MX400 had the same performance as the FX5500 (at higher and lower resolutions). The FX5500 was a tad slower than GF2MX400 in Quake II. In Quake III, the FX5500 was a fair amount faster than the GF2MX400. The charts can be located here: Topic 35051

These results are somewhat inconclusive as to how much additional CPU overhead was needed by the FX5500 compared to the GF2. There was a lot of speed variance depending on which driver version was utilised.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 12 of 12, by GuillermoXT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently got my Nvidia FX5500 256MB 128Bit Made by AXLE - it has two notches for 3.3 & 5V but it dosent even do POST. The Fan of the card is running when i turn the PC on so what is the problem? I don´t get it 😒

My Retrosystems:
PIII on GA-6BA running Win98SE
AMD K6 233 on GA-586HX with Win95
Tandon 286-8MHZ Running DOS 6.22 on XTIDE-CF
M326 486DLC + 4c87dlc (Dos+Win3.11)
ECS UM4980 AMD DX2 80 5V (Dos & Win3.11)