VOGONS

First post, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What's everyone's opinion on selecting an OEM motherboard vs. a third party manufacturer motherboard for a build? I need a new socket 478 board. The OEM boards are cheaper, but I obviously lose overclocking ability. Are the OEM boards better quality in any way?

I'm looking at a couple of Dell boards with good pricing. One is new old stock. An Asus or Abit board would be the alternative, but they are typically 30% more expensive from what I'm seeing.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 1 of 3, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You really only lose overclocking abilities by going OEM. Just ignore anything out of a Dell optiplex for 478. Those tended to be riddled with bad caps in my experience. The board used in the Dimension 4600 is a great matx one that can be found cheap.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 3, by Dropcik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dell boards are pretty solid and I have never had any problem with them as long as they have good caps. Later 800 fsb dell boards are a lot better in my opinion, good caps 9 times out of 10. It was always the 400 fsb boards that were always bad for me or I've just had crap luck. I only have 1 3rd party socket 478 board and its a late asrock p4i945gc. I can't overclock my p4 3.0 ht past 3.3ghz, probably because the voltage control is joke. It does have pcie which is a nice. So If you want to go down the overclocking path, find a good asus board with good voltage control and a stable vrm. Or dell board is as basic as it gets and it does what its made for, no problems with the ones I have.

Ayy LMAO

Reply 3 of 3, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks. I think I'm going to go with the Dell board. I could get my P4 3.0E up to 3.5 very easily on my Abit board, but to be honest I didn't notice much difference in performance. This system is definitely a period piece and intended to stay within its limits as far as games go anyway.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator