VOGONS

First post, by Marquzz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just put together a Windows 98SE gaming rig around a 775i65G (6500K@3,6, 6800 Ultra, 60GB SSD, 512MB ram, SB Live 5.1) but I have som problems.

The first problem is that the IDE-controllers doesn't get installed correctly, it does seem to find the drivers from Intel, but they remain with a yellow exclamation mark in the device manager and my DVD drive is not discovered. The SSD which is connected to SATA works fine. I installed Windows from the DVD drive, and it was in the end, after the second to last restart, the drive "disappeared" and the installation program ask for a bunch of files it couldn't find on the CD. I had to skip those to be able to continue.

The next problem is that the driver installation program from Creative does not find my sound card. I don't really understand why, because Windows finds it and are asking for drivers.

Third problem is USB; I can install USB-drivers and generic drivers for the thumb drive and it works, but it creates to drives in the explorer, one D: and one F: (E: is the second partition on the SSD). D and F seem mirrors of each other. When I remove the thumb drive, F disappears from explorer, but D: remains. How can I remove D?

Fourth problem is the 3D performance, it seems very low. I ran 3DMark2k1 and got just over 20k, when I should be getting around 30k and over. I'm using 81.98 from nvidia.

In general Windows seems a bit flimsy, when installing drivers and DX8.1 they often didn't "took" the first time and I had to install them a second time. And a couple of times scandisk started after installing something and "reset" Windows (icons, default programs).

Here it is anyway 😀

15ez56q.jpg

Reply 1 of 9, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had similar problems installing win98 on fast hardware. Go for the oldest drivers you can find - for everything. I'd also get rid of the SSD. It offers almost no performance boost in 98.

Make sure you install the intel chipset driver first, then the sata driver. Also make sure that system resources are set to auto in bios, and PnP OS is also enabled in BIOS. These should normally be disabled on old machines for compatibility with ISA and legacy devices, but your machine requires them to be on to work correctly. Go for an older nvidia driver as well. Oh and always install DX before installing the video card and sound card driver.

What sound card are you using? If it's a creative CT4810 or similar (Sound blaster PCI128) get the oldest driver from the creative website. That's how I got it to work on my A64 voodoo 2 sli rig.

Reply 2 of 9, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm amazed You can install Win98 on that. First of all I would suggest going into the bios and turning off anything that You are not using, com ports, parallel port, onboard sound, Network, etc.
The problem with Win98 on a more modern motherboard is the lack of IRQ's vs Winxp, 15 against 23 or 24.
The later Nvidia Win98 drivers give terrible performance in games, they didn't care about optimisation at that point.

I assume You have installed the Intel Chipset INF? For the sblive I would suggest aiming the windows driver update at the cdrom folders rather than running it from the cd.

If You are going to get rubbish performance You may as well just put winxp on it, but it would still be a very powerful Win98 gaming rig if You can get it sorted.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 3 of 9, by Marquzz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've turned off everything I don't use in bios. I'm thinking about skipping IDE alltogether and go with a S-ATA DVD instead if that works, and just disable IDE.

I will try to find older drivers for graphics card and sound card.

The idea was to create the most powerful Win98se machine possible, without doing "hacks". In theory the above setup should work since everything has official Win98 drivers. I already have the most powerful WinXP machine possible 😀

Reply 4 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've used an Asrock board in this build: 10 Reasons for a Pentium 4 Windows 98 DOS Retro Gaming PC :)

Your drivers are here:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/775i65G/?cat=Download&os=98

I loaded INF and USB drivers. Didn't use Ethernet, had it disabled in BIOS, as well as the sound card.

While I was able to use SATA HDD and IDE optical drive fine, all you need to do is copy the Windows 98 SE installation folder onto the hard drive (I always put it in C:\W98), then run setup from there.

Can you take screens of the BIOS options, specifically for the SATA / IDE controller?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 9, by Marquzz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used enhanced mode first time around, but maybe it was that which made everthing feel buggy.

I installed Win98 from the HDD last night, but it was even more buggy and wouldn't finish the installation until a booted in safe mode and installed Intel inf in between restarts and after that it kind of finished the installation, but it's extremly unstable now and won't start every time. The DVD is still not visable even though it's on S-ATA now. Unfortunatly I installed using enhance mode so I will try another installation tonight with compatible mode from the beginning.

To be continued...

Reply 7 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, I also had issues with SSD. Try a standard platter drive. It has to be under 120 GB ideally.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9 of 9, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm building this exact machine now - ASRock 775i65GV (G/A 1.05) with a GeForce Ti4600. In BIOS you'll want to go to Advanced -> IDE Operate Mode -> Compatible Mode. In my case I had only a DVD reader on Pri slave and SATA 0 so I disabled the IDE channel.

Worked OK, I had some issues with VXD files loading after, but I think that may have been a runaway "next" click for a driver location.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!