VOGONS

First post, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi All,

My current interest has been with the second tier budget socket 7 chips, the Cyrix 6x86, L, MX, MII and IDT Winchip, the Winchip just does not seem to be at all picky what board it goes into, even old socket 5 seems fine, it's a pretty simple chip so that makes sense. However I have read that some chipsets have optimisation for the Cyrix, Linear burst mode to be specific, anyone know what chipset supports this and does it make much difference? I have seen varying reports, from 2%-10%, either way it might be cool to give the 6x86's a boost. Also is this only for the MX/MII or also the regualar vanilla 6x86?
My current Socket 7 chipsets are two Intel TX DFi boards, one AT one ATX and a MSi ALi Aladdin 5. I do have a SiS ECS P5SD-AS Socket 7 ATX board on route, I think that is based on the SiS 5591 chipset. Anyone know if these have the linear burst mode?

On a secondary point, I have found and use the 6x86 optimiser program from http://www.helsinki.fi/~mpjohans/6x86opt/ it seems to work well but is a bit above my level or understanding to be honest, anyone care to share then correct settings I should use for a DOS based 6x86 MX200 with 2mb ViRGE 325 on the Intel TX? Or are the defaults enough?

Finally is there any optimisation software like this for the IDT Winchip? Does it prefer any special settings?

Thanks,
Chris

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 3 of 14, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FIC PA-2013 has a jumper for linear burst mode for Cyrix 6x86/MX/MII CPUs. Most VIA MVP3-based motherboards should work with Linear Burst. Intel boards will not.

All Cyrix 5x86/6x86/MX/MII chips have Linear Burst as an option. On MediaGX chips, that register is reserved, so I'm not sure if Linear Burst was omitted.

From memory, I think you want to enable WRITE ALLOCATE, NOLOCK, and LINBRST. Maybe some fast frame buffer option, or write gathering? I no longer recall.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 4 of 14, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My brother-in-law used to work for Cyrix back in the mid-90s, and I asked if I could buy a CPU/motherboard combo directly from the company. I'm not sure if it came from the company store or not, but I'm almost positive that he brought back an M-Tech Mustang R534 motherboard with the 6x86 MX installed. Sadly, I don't recall where the motherboard and CPU are now, but I still have the box and heatsink/fan combo.

If you want the motherboard that Cyrix endorsed for the 6x86 MX, you should seek out the M-Tech R534.

P1110743.jpg

Reply 6 of 14, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like the fan sticker.

I have a Cyrix 6x86MX processor banner in my exercise room which looks like your box.

Attachments

• Cyrix_Banner.jpg
    Filename
    Cyrix_Banner.jpg
    File size
    115.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 14, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

haha!, I had a screensaver that was mmx optimized which displayed something like your banner animated, wondering if somebody still have it.
I think now, I would like to remove the dust from my EP-MVP3 and choose some 6x86 from my collection, tons of options to choose from
Humm, time to start a new thread may be next week.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 8 of 14, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote:

If you want the motherboard that Cyrix endorsed for the 6x86 MX, you should seek out the M-Tech R534.

Regarding the 6x86MX I'd like to quote Red Hill:
http://www.redhill.net.au/b/b-98.html#va502

If you ran a 6x86MX-200, the VA-502 was simply the best board you could buy at any price. Those two made a magic combination. On the test bench with an MX-200, the 502 out-performed boards costing nearly twice as much, and on a VA-502 the 6x86MX-200 comfortably beat not just its direct competitors, the Pentium MMX and K6 Classic 200s, but the 233 MMX as well.

Reply 9 of 14, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote:

Was the R534 endorsed beyond all other boards, or just one of many that they recommended?

Back in the days of the original 6x86, I remember looking on Cyrix's web site for recommended motherboards. At least for that generation they had many boards listed. We ended up getting an R533 (430VX based) because it was on that list and locally available. It was a totally reliable board, but I have no idea how it's performance compared to other chipsets.

Reply 10 of 14, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, I probably should have phrased my comment differently. As you said, Cyrix recommended more than one motherboard for the 6x86. So the R534 may have been one board among many. All I know is that the R534 is the one that my brother-in-law got from the Cyrix corporate headquarters. I wish I could find that board--it seems to have quite an excellent reputation.

By the way, it is Rev. G of the R534.

P1110744.jpg

Reply 11 of 14, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the help with the settings feipoa.
It seems the SiS board is a fair bit quicker than the ALi, might well be the 1MB cache, but I would have thought Rage Pro 8 MB would beat SiS 6326 4MB, both onbaord in phils VGA test, but there we are.

vmunix wrote:

haha!, I had a screensaver that was mmx optimized which displayed something like your banner animated, wondering if somebody still have it.
I think now, I would like to remove the dust from my EP-MVP3 and choose some 6x86 from my collection, tons of options to choose from
Humm, time to start a new thread may be next week.

would love a copy of that screensaver, anyone have a lead?

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 12 of 14, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found a complete system on ebay with the R534 motherboard I believe (at least that is the model number on the PCB of the motherboard) http://www.ebay.com/itm/DTK-Computer-FEAT-35- … ykAAOxy3HJTJHQJ

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 13 of 14, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

I found a complete system on ebay with the R534 motherboard I believe (at least that is the model number on the PCB of the motherboard) http://www.ebay.com/itm/DTK-Computer-FEAT-35- … ykAAOxy3HJTJHQJ

The price seems reasonable 😀

Here in Europe we normally have to pay a little more for (almost) complete socket 7 systems, $30+ is normally what we have to pay for a nice AT case from Ebay inside the EU.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 14 of 14, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have the Cyrix 6x86MX screensaver, however I am not confident in my legal ability to post it.

Cyrix grants you the right to copy the Software onto a single computer. You will not use, copy, modify, sell or transfer any part of the Software except as provided in this Agreement. You may use the Software only on Cyrix processor-based computer systems.

I am sure you can find it online somewhere; I did.

There is also an IBM 6x86MX and IBM 6x86 screensaver.

The Cyrix 6x86MX screensaver is incredibly cheezy. It is an animated version of the poster image I posted here, neon lights and all.