VOGONS

First post, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was banging my head currently on how to give the Asus TXP4-X maniboard a fast HDD. I get the PATA to CF card adapter and it was total disaster. With impossibility of flipping the cursed fixed bit, the card does not act as HDD and that it is. Game over for this variant, even on fast computer it prove effectively capable of reasonable speeds:
http://s18.postimg.org/cwmlneayh/HDTune_32_G_ … CFXPS_032_G.png
(SanDisk Extreme PRO 32G CF card + DeLock 91620 PATA to CF adapter on ASRock 775Dual-VSTA with 3.8GHz P4)

...on Asus TXP4-X it was total disaster with similar speeds as this old 512MB card is showing:
http://s15.postimg.org/3te86uf23/HDTune_0_5_G … k_SDCFH_512.png
Mainly the lack of DMA on the "UDMA 7" card is the biggest problem.

So I give up and get a PATA to SATA adapter, SanDisk 120G (must be to be under the 128G limit with patched bios) Ultra II SSD and now I figuring out how to make it all work. It does NOT WORK. The SSD is well detected during POST and things seems to work rather nicely (I can install ANY operating system on it, WinNT, WinXP...) but it does NOT BOOT from it after the copy files part of install requires reboot:

Asus_TXP4_X_trying_SSD.jpg Asus_TXP4_X_trying_SSD_2.jpg Asus_TXP4_X_trying_SSD_3.jpg
(SanDisk Ultra II 120G (SDSSDHII-120G), PATA to SATA bi-derectional adapter from Gembird, chipset JM20330, should do even hot-swap for non bootable devices)

I tried many disk-setup programs, from old fdisk (frisk - reboot - format c: /s - reboot = no boot from the HDD) thru Windows setup (delate partition, create partition) to Acronis on Hiren Boot CD 8.6 (my favorite Mini Tool Partition Wizard Pro BOOT CD (allign SSD) does not work on the board... with AMD K5 PR75 in it right now), yet it always fail to boot from the SSD. I have no idea what to do now and how can I prepare the SSD to get it booting. I *very* much want to get fast HDD operations with DMA ON... so I trying everything, but nothing seems to work.

That is second time when PATA - SATA conversion proved unbootable for me. First case - Dell OptiPlex GX110. Same result, different convertor used. Working, but NOT booting...

Sigh.

Anyone is having any helpfull suggestions?

And no, HDD autodetect in bios freeze the bios. Not even Esc helps to get me off from the neverending loop...

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong. Voltaire
I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts... Hemingway

Reply 1 of 8, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try FDISK, partition it, then FDISK /MBR to ensure the MBR is correct. Then use FORMAT C: /S.
Also, there is a chance an SSD might need 3.3V (which molex->SATA adapters can't provide), but I guess that if this was the case it would not work at all.

Reply 2 of 8, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot for the tip! I completely forget that! Mea culpa.

fdisk /mbr fixed the boot issue, so I get the SSD running in my Asus TXP4-X mainboard. That is a good thing. Install went fine even at 83MHz FSB (witch give 41.7MHz PCI bus clock) using Pentium 90 @ 125MHz.

However that is all for good things. Bad thing is, that the SSD will not using DMA at all and the speed is accordingly limited by CPU - see 93.3% CPU usage - to 7.2MB/sec.

This is laughable for SanDisk 120G Ultra II SSD, even run thru the adapter that support SATA (1) only...

HDtach_no_DMA_7_2_MB.jpg

I would like to mention that ONCE (just once!) I get the DMA running using PATA to CF adapter and that give me on same machine speed around 24MB/sec:

32_GCF_Sandisk_karta.png

...with around 20% CPU usage. That might looks a big high, but remember that we are talking about Pentium 1 system, not i7 machine... 😀 Anyone have any ideas / solutions for that DMA failure?

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong. Voltaire
I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts... Hemingway

Reply 3 of 8, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you confirm that this particular adapter has working DMA support? Look up Phil's vídeo about storage options for old computers - he does mention that he was unable to get DMA working with some adapter models, but it works fine on the same computer with a different one - he even shows the adapters themselves.

Reply 4 of 8, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, since I did not managed to run DMA on a HDD (Seagate 13G ST313021A), then the problem is very likely not with the adapter itself, but with the card. However the concern is valid and I take the adapter with the SSD to the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA mobo and run HD Tune there and we see what happens.

Good call. However I dubt that this will be the case, sadly.

Reply 5 of 8, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I tried it and the results are as follows:

HDTune_120_G_San_Disk_SDSSDHII120_G.png

This looks nice, but what is the terrible dip there? Does not make sense, no load was there... so I tried it couple of times and it was always there...

HDTune_120_G_San_Disk_SDSSDHII120_G_2.png

And on top of that, it progressively go worser till suddently I was running ONLY in PIO mode:

HDTune_120_G_San_Disk_SDSSDHII120_G_3.png

And it stays like that for now, no matter that I set in BIOS UDMA6 ... That suxx beyond words. I'm utterly disapointed and dismayed. I have no idea what is going on and mainly WHY the DMA mode died on me... I see no reason for it. I even resoldered all the "not so good looking" joints on the Gembird PATA to SATA bi-derectional adapter from with JM20330 chip, but no change in behaviour.

How one can "reset" the UDMA or force the DMA mode in Win? It always worked for me, except the Asus TXP4-X mainboard, witch appears to be cursed or something like that... I have no idea what to do. Maybe some chipset drivers are need for the i430TX chipset? And what could possibly cause this weird behaviour on the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA mainboard?

Reply 7 of 8, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AFAIK whenever Windows detects issues reading from an HDD it keeps track of a quantity of errors, and when this counter gets big enough it prevents the drive from activating DMA. Now, I'm not sure this is just for 2000+ or if Windows 98 did it, but I wouldn't doubt it. You can try deleting/uninstaling the IDE controller in the device manager, reboot, allow Windows to set it up again and try enabling DMA back.

Reply 8 of 8, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please check the following settings in the AsRock BIOS:

32-Bit Data Transfer

IDE Busmaster

V-Link Speed

IDE Drive Strength

IDE HDD Block Mode

I don't rememeber which setting exactly, but I do remember that there was one setting that caused disk caching to be very slow and the system sped up significantly after enabling it in BIOS.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png