VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
trying to find the "better" card in term of balance beetween power consumption, speed and visual quality, I am testing these card, a brandless Savage4 GT AGP 8MB 70ns, a 3dfx Voodoo3 3000 AGP and a Creative TNT 16MB AGP.
Using 3dmark99 it's strange how the Savage4 got better results of both other cards. ~ 2900 for this and 150 or more less for both other. For everyone I obviously get some 6000 score at CPU (K6-3 400).
Are the other heavily CPU limited?
Bye

Reply 1 of 5, by Interlace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a great experience with my cheapo Powercolor 16MB TNT-card on a k6-2 500 when the TNT2 was just out and unaffordable for kids, it ran most games up to Nocturne, MDK2 and Medal of Honor Allied Assault but I kept my Voodoo2 for compatibility with older games. The Voodoo3 will take care of that, but the TNT is the one with the most compatible drivers, I guess..

Reply 2 of 5, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A K6-3 400 is probably a huge bottleneck for those cards. You could also try a Voodoo Banshee if you have it - I doubt the Voodoo3 is any better than its predecessor with this CPU.

Reply 5 of 5, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Putas wrote:
386SX wrote:

Are the other heavily CPU limited?

This or software issue is the only explanation why the Voodoo3 is not on top. Don't take 3dmarks score seriously.

It's is strange I think more compatibility issue with my mobo. I should use some early Socket 462 board to really see how they performs in comparison. But the Savage4 until now impressed me a lot.