Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

K6-III+ is more flexible, software multiplier and better for DOS gaming

/close thread

Very true.

havli wrote:

Well, according to my tests, in all applications except CPUMark99 K6-III 450 is slower than PII 450 or even Celeron 433. And that is not just games but rendering, file compression, audio encoding, video encoding, and photo editing. Also all applications I used are much newer than tested CPUs... so SW developers had plenty of time to implement 3dnow support.

Actually, I think this makes your tests slightly less relevant, since you'd be using either of these CPUs in the late 90's and maybe early 00's. It'd be interesting to try their counterparts from said years.

QBiN wrote:

Havli, I only ran the 3Dmark CPU test because I had very dissimilar systems, and I was trying to isolate the score differences to just those factors relating to CPU and chipset. Though, you and and F2 need to get together and decide when 3Dmark is a valid comparison, apparently. Perhaps only when it agrees with your premise? You can't have it both ways.

However, I would remind all those that can't decide whether 3Dnow! is fair/irrelevant/whatever... in 1998 and much of 1999 there was no SSE enabled processors on the market. In a very real way, 3Dnow was the only steaming SIMD instruction set extension out. It did have real market share even if it did not have a significant impact. At least enough of a market impact that DirectX included optimizations as well as nVidia's drivers of the day (my subtle counter-example to the notion that nothing used 3DNow or that it had no impact). So any snapshot of the late 90's really does deserve to include 3DNow optimizations even if nothing more than to show what it could be capable of -- even if it ended up being just a sidenote in computing history.

I don't quite understand your insistence on 3DNow!. We've been telling you that it is really cool, but in the end no one ended up using it or it wasn't used to its fullest extent. It would really be sweet if all the games used 3DNow! to equal or surpass Intel's CPUs as shown in 3DMark 99 and 3DMark 2000, but frankly it didn't happen. Also, Pentium II, Celeron and Pentium III didn't need SSE to beat AMD. Is SSE even used in games?
Quake 2 is also an amazing example of what 3DNow! could do.

I don't think anyone is debating that the K6 series, as a whole, was great, even more so for the average user who didn't need their computer for 3D gaming. But, we're in a (mostly) retro gaming forum 😜.

Reply 61 of 100, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not insisting on anything. But I'm also not downplaying anything with superlatives like "never used" and "irrelevant". People can enjoy the facts as they were/are without bias. But I am glad you came to the same overall conclusion about the K6-III. Many articles still available go so far as to call the K6-III "the best integer CPU on the planet". Maybe so. Maybe not. It had it's niche, and I enjoy playing around with mine from time to time. The PA-2013 is a great testbed, too, btw -- P133 all the way up to 600+MHz.

All the same, I suppose I'll just restrict my expressed views to just those pertaining to gaming on this hardware sub-forum, then. 🤣

Reply 62 of 100, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Did you know the K5 is often faster per clock than the K6 at integer performance? Of course the K5 can't do much beyond 133 MHz so it's a bit moot.

I have just tested a AMD K5 PR166 in my regualar DFi TX board, amazed how quick it is! In Phil's VGA benchmark it gives a higher average FPS than both a Cyrix 6x86 166+(66mhz x 2), IDT Winchip C6 200 (66mhz x 3) & is nearly on par with Cyrix 6x86L 200+ (75mhz x2).

For direct comparison, here are the scores for both a K6 166(66mhz x 2.5=166mhz) & K5 PR 166(66mhz x 1.75=116mhz).

3D Bench 2 * PCP Bench* DOOM *Quake *Average
K5 155.2 42.3 74.02 24.8 141.12
K6 178.7 53.8 71.98 30.1 155.86

This is in the exact same unmodified system. No at all bad for a 116 Mhz CPU!

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 63 of 100, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BSA Starfire wrote:
I have just tested a AMD K5 PR166 in my regualar DFi TX board, amazed how quick it is! In Phil's VGA benchmark it gives a higher […]
Show full quote
swaaye wrote:

Did you know the K5 is often faster per clock than the K6 at integer performance? Of course the K5 can't do much beyond 133 MHz so it's a bit moot.

I have just tested a AMD K5 PR166 in my regualar DFi TX board, amazed how quick it is! In Phil's VGA benchmark it gives a higher average FPS than both a Cyrix 6x86 166+(66mhz x 2), IDT Winchip C6 200 (66mhz x 3) & is nearly on par with Cyrix 6x86L 200+ (75mhz x2).

For direct comparison, here are the scores for both a K6 166(66mhz x 2.5=166mhz) & K5 PR 166(66mhz x 1.75=116mhz).

3D Bench 2 * PCP Bench* DOOM *Quake *Average
K5 155.2 42.3 74.02 24.8 141.12
K6 178.7 53.8 71.98 30.1 155.86

This is in the exact same unmodified system. No at all bad for a 116 Mhz CPU!

I managed to get the 133 MHz K5 PR200 years ago and ran it against various other chips also at 133 MHz. I enabled the K5's write allocation with a software utility that I don't remember. It was one that worked for both K6 and K5, I believe.
133 MHz Challenge - 5th/6th gen CPU per clock performance

And of course let's not forget feipoa's Ultimate 686 Benchmark Comparison. I always seem to forget it even though I stickied it! 😁

Reply 64 of 100, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If K6's are as slow as all of you are saying I may just skip out on any finds with those in them, probably sell them off. Why bother when my Katmai 500 can run rings around them?

Edit: Didn't realize till after I posted that I was necroing a thread. Wasn't paying too much attention to the dates of the page of the board I was on.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 66 of 100, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sedrosken wrote:

If K6's are as slow as all of you are saying I may just skip out on any finds with those in them, probably sell them off. Why bother when my Katmai 500 can run rings around them?

Edit: Didn't realize till after I posted that I was necroing a thread. Wasn't paying too much attention to the dates of the page of the board I was on.

A Katmai 500 will indeed be quite a bit faster than any K6, even at 600MHz. It obliterates the K6-2. What K6 do you own?

Reply 67 of 100, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:
Sedrosken wrote:

A Katmai 500 will indeed be quite a bit faster than any K6, even at 600MHz. It obliterates the K6-2.

That statement I think needs a bit more qualification. A plain K6 or K6-2 against a Katmai is apples and oranges, and should be handily beaten. Though, broad brush statements are easy to make especially when it's easy to be ambiguous about which K6 or which metrics you're talking about.

If you're a gamer, comparing just about any K6-family CPU to a Katmai P-III, just go with the P-III. The P-III FPU performance will be far and away better than any AMD offering until the Athlon/Duron family (and then the roles reverse).

I think this old Ars Technica Review is probably the fairest I've read.

Last edited by QBiN on 2015-11-20, 02:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 68 of 100, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My bad. I meant to say that K6-2 and below is just absolute obliteration when compared to fast Pentium II or a PIII 500, as far as games go.
K6-III+ 600 performs almost like a PII 400 in the most intense 3D games. It really depends on the game.

Reply 69 of 100, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote:

I was never a fan of the K6 line. I recently pulled a K6-2 300MHz (512K L2) system out of the trash and found that the performance was well below that of my PII-300.

One of the first things I noticed about the K6-2 system was that the Windows GUI got a little choppy when I tried playing MP3 and AAC music in the background (streamed over LAN from my file server). The PII-300 had absolutely no problem multitasking with music playing. The PII could also handle DVD playback just fine with GPU assistance; the K6 had trouble even with a Radeon VE.

Definitely sounds like a badly configured system. Super7 systems can be tricky, but with a decent board and CPU and the right driver sets, a K6-2/300 should handle DVD playback just fine. (back in 1998 or '99 Dad had to dig around for Beta drivers to get DVD acceleration working on our PCI RagePro -only AGP versions had official support- but it worked perfectly fine for nearly all DVD playback -very very rarely did you see stuff pushing the max bandwidth of the DVD video spec, then you'd see a bit of stutter in framerate, but that was a PCI bandwidth issue, not CPU performance) The system did get upgraded to a K6-2/500 (actually a 550 but ended up running as a 500) but stuck with that old PCI Rage Pro card. (with FIC 503A motherboard, though we may have had a 503+ at some point too)

Not that AGP on Socket 7 wasn't tricky in its own right ... way worse on ALI chipsets though. Finicky plug n' play support too. (and trying to find good drivers THESE days for these old systems is a huge pain ... ) I do recall getting radeon AGP cards working in Socket 7 systems being a pain back then too, dad has a story when he had usergroup friends balking at him being able to get drivers to work at all for a Radeon 8000 series AllInWonder card. (which we ended up returning anyway due to it running way too hot)

That machine is still running, though now as a Win2000 automotive diagnostic box in the garage.

Then again, none of that is a huge deal performance-wise given our Celeron 366 system (Shuttle Spacewalker ZX board) did perfectly fine for multimedia stuff around the same time.

Getting a good Socket 7 system going needed a lot of experience and either lots of DIY competence and access to information and updates (and usergroup feedback) or a local PC dealer or friend to supply such support. (getting good, reliable, consistent performance out of some VIA based S370 boards could have some of those issues too ... hardware might be rock solid, but without the right drivers and configuration it can easily be a mess -they'll still be SLOWER than BX/ZX or i815 systems of similar quality at similar bus speeds, but they were way cheaper and sometimes more flexible with overclocking -or underclocking and undervolting if you wanted a low power system)

sliderider wrote:

Which is why I don't use benchmarks. How a piece of hardware performs in actual games is the only thing that matters. Benchmarks can be rigged or drivers can be tweaked to give false results or the benchmark itself could be heavily weighted towards functions that you almost never see utilized in actual games.

Hardware+drivers+game in question. Performance could vary vastly depending on the system hardware (including big differences between video accelerator and how they react to a given CPU and motherboard and game ... and drivers and patches). There were (and are) some magic combinations and tweaks that make things work well when the majority of others just tanks, and that goes for quality too, not just raw speed.

So, ideally, you'd build and configure a system around the most bottlenecked application (or combination of applications) you're planning on running and learn the ins and outs for what works well for its particular quirks. 3DNow! and SSE ended up useful in direct3D based games (at least ones targeting DirectX 6 and 7) and a few games had patches that used one or both as well, but it was mostly direct3d stuff that saw vast improvements. (openGL too, unless my memory is failing here)

That's also the reason the K6-2/500 was better for a fair amount of games than a K6-3/400 ... a few ere really cache-sensitive (and in the right range to benefit from that 256k associative cache ... or even combination of board-level cache), but a lot of it was raw computation bound. (be it ALU, FPU, or SIMD execution unit bottlenecked, clock speed will win over cache performance when execution time is the heavy bottleneck) Then there's I/O bound stuff, but if something was really memory latency/bandwidth critical (to the point a 1 or 2 MB board level cache won't mask it) you're going to be at a further disavantage with the poorer chipset performance as well. (comparing 100 MHz systems at least, no overclocking ... even VIA S370/slot1 systems had better throughput/bandwith at 100 MHz, let alone 133 compared to MVP3 SS7 systems -worse for ALI Aladdin, considerably worse for SIS stuff- ... though a 66 MHz celeron or PII could fare worse, especially using an LX or VIA chipset -again, ignoring overclocking here)

And Quake 1 is just an odd bird ... both in accelerated and software render configurations. Performance is all over the map for CPUs of all manufacturers and types with the sole exception of P5. (P5/P54/P55 all have dramatic clock for clock advantages to anything else around, though for some reason the Pentium II Overdrive did even more unusually well in the 686 benchmark test trials)

The Ultimate 686 Benchmark Comparison
download/file.php?id=11658

The vanilla K6-2 manages to match or beat similarly clocked celerons, PIIs, and PIIIs in Quake I but falls way behind the Pentium classic and MMX. (and the Athlon does extremely poorly) The K6 classic does a bit worse in spite of 3DNow! being unused. (the K6-2 seemed to manage some floating point and other improvements that played nice with Quake's quirks -the Winchip 2 seemed to do so as well)

QBiN wrote:

On business/integer benchmarks, everything I see has K6-III's meeting if not besting all intel offerings clock for clock until the Coppermine core offerings. The tables turn when we see FPU benchmarks and 3D gaming benchmarks. K6-III stays competitive if 3DNow is used. However, P-III jumps ahead if SSE optimized is used. I think that's where one sees the Achilles heal of the K6-III architecture. It's FPU performance is behind that of the P-II/P-III architecture and definitely behind the Athlon/Duron processors.

On that note, 'integer performance' is a bit of a misnomer too. It's usually used in a manner of 'general purpose performance' but NOT specific to integer execution and computation. (The Cyrix 6x86 family was actually a bit average in clock for clock integer execution, rather similar to the P6 and K6 line on average -though a decent bit better than the P5 family at least -it was mainly the 6x86's cache and I/O performance and quirks that favored certain applications and user environments that led to its high PR ratings -opposed to the K5 that achieved it though genuinely exceptional integer execution)

Hell, the K6's floating point performance is a lot better on paper than it is in general real-world use too, and quite a few benchmarks reflect that as well. (very competitive whetstone or even more specific floating point execution scores that rarely reflect in real world results for whatever reason -I've seen lack of pipelining as a reason there, not just lack of dual-issue superscalar FPU operation, but single-pipeline performance as well ... presumably tied to the K6's FPU prefetch being too short to keep its execution units fed and working efficiently in parallel with the dual 6-stage integer pipelines -the K6 FPU has much lower execution latency than the PII/III one which does show up in some benchmarks but again, rarely in real-world performance)

Games were ... and continue to be among the most quirky and hardware-configuration-tweak dependent applications around and rarely conform to standardized benchmarks either ... and often have contradictory performance on top of that. Reviews that cite comprehensive hardware tweaks and configurations AND entire suites of games tested are the only really useful benchmarks to go by there.

swaaye wrote:

The chatter is about how K6-3+ can supposedly match a Duron. DVDs included. I spent some time with a Aladdin V ASUS P5A and a K6-3+ 600 a few months ago trying to play DVDs and it wasn't very pleasant. It took some AGP GART tweaking to get it to happen without hardware acceleration and that only worked with a Voodoo3 because other AGP cards became unstable.

So my point is K6 has some problems with DVD playback. I'm challenging nostalgia memory used as evidence.

For computationally bound tasks, a Duron should beat a K6-2/3/whatever at everything, BUT ... for basic single-task DVD playback, ANY duron is overkill as long as the right drivers are there. In raw integer, floating point, and SIMD execution, the K7 core just demolishes the K6. It's cases where large, multi-level, caches and pipeline stalls come into play that the K6-III has an edge. (practically speaking -ignoring oddballs like Quake)

Video and sound driver issues are much more often the cause of stuttering and lag in systems like that, especially onboard audio. (VIA's AC97 compatible audio on MVP4 and Apollo chipsets were ... a bit ugly if you couldn't find the right patches and drivers to make it work right) And lots of fast AGP cards had problems on Socket 7 in general. (Nvidia TNT, Geforce, Radeon, Matrox G200 and G400 all come to mind, many won't work at all in Ali based systems) PCI video cards are usually the safer bet in Socket 7 and work a lot better with plug n' play set-up too. (Rage 128 series cards work decently well in AGP but can be a pain to get initialized -you often have to fiddle around with manually coppying .dll files and such)

I should play around with my AGP Rage Pro in my P5A-B system ... Rage 128 Pro wasn't worth the trouble, but I'd be curious to see if the older Rage Pro gives less trouble. (Win98SE should have built-in drivers to recognize it, avoiding the initialization issues)

But yeah, AGP was one of Socket7's weakest points, and definitely best avoided on anything other than an MVP3/MVP4 based system. (and even then avoided if you could help it) The only real reason to ever use an AGP card in the system was if the PCI counterpart was difficult to find or expensive.

meljor wrote:

I love my k6-3+, and i really liked the redhill pages about old cpu's (i've read them all).

But i don't really find their stories usefull when it comes to performance... They PRAISED the cyrix well into the p2 era and dismissed that same p2 as a real option. Same goes for the k6-3 and saying their windows performance only got better with a 1ghz cpu 🤣 Talking about VALUE they are right, as the intel's were way to expensive, but performance wise they had no match, atleast in games. But that's the importatnt thing i guess, as they mostly talk about integer and then the cyrix/amd cpu's had great value.

Red Hill usually seemed to be on about speed of general-purpose desktop use, and had staff extremely well versed in custom-building systems (and particularly with Socket 7), so their experience with Cyrix, AMD, and those overclocked K6-III+ systems (560 MHz, 112 MHz bus, 1 MB L3 cache) seems reasonable. Given the quirks of a system like that it's not too surprising that it took an athlon XP to beat it in every single category. (their story went that a duron replacement set-up failed to manage better average performance while a Thunderbird Athlon was faster on the whole but left a few select weak points).

Multitasking-heavy office/business application environments tended to be the tour de force for Red Hill's assessments. (and indeed for the industry leading Ziff Davis Winstone benchmarks -which are exceedingly difficult to lay hands on these days ... and thus were omitted from the 686 benchmark trials a few years back) Winstone was known for testing much broader working environments than most synthetic benchmarks and most of the old PR ratings were calibrated based on those benchmarks. (the Athlon XP did not use that for its numbering, though -plus it got confusing once Intel had a breadth of processors around ... among other competition)

About 3dmark99: my k6-3+@550 or 600mhz absolutely slaughters my p2-450 (no sse) when it comes to cpu marks. But there is not a single game it can keep up and the intel is MUCH faster. So no, 3dmark99 is not a good test to compare these cpu's.

I'd imagine some games from around 2000 or slightly later would start showing a lot more improvement there, ones using API versions with drivers supporting optimized SSE and 3DNow! use. Maybe some earlier ones, but I'm not sure how many DirectX6.x games were written for it. And the number of games that both rely on CPU driven T&L computation and also support SSE/3DNow! would be a fairly narrow gap. (granted, many games with hardware T&L support can run on cards without it, so those Floating point SIMD extensions come in handy there)

Reply 70 of 100, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

No, no way in hell. A K6-III+ 550 is roughly as fast as a Pentium II 350 (sometimes faster, sometimes slower). A Pentium III Katmai 550 will annihilate the poor K6, so imagine what an Athlon/Duron can do which are even faster than the Katmais.

In my experience the K6 III+ at 550MHz on a good super socket 7 motherboard is roughly equivalent to a PIII at 450/500 in games (tested with GL_Quake and Aida64 FPU tests). In speedsys it's actually a little faster then a PIII at 550. Compared to a socket A machine, ALU-wise it's about as fast as a 600MHz duron. I keep meaning to start a thread about this but I'm in the process of moving and don't have all my stuff yet, but I'll back up my claims as soon as I get the chance.

Reply 72 of 100, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I await the final discovery of how K6-3 is a match for Duron and P3. And yeah not in Sandra, Speedsys or Aida/Everest. I figure a -3 can keep up with 2D games and productivity software.

They can play DVDs smoothly if you get write allocate / write combining working properly and run probably at least 400MHz, or you just offload the process.

Reply 73 of 100, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the problem I see with k6 3 is that it's to incosistent, it seems good for some tests, but when things go wrong, they seem to go really wrong, while k7 is always good.

Q2 performs poorly per clock with a Tnt
quake2-tnt.gif
but fine with glide... so it required a lot of optimization to get there
quake2-v2.gif

unreal-16-bit.gif
also not looking great for an important game in period

now, what to make of this?
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/benchmark … hon,590-25.html
Celeron 400 4 times faster?

I don't see how k6 III+ is comparable to Duron.

Reply 74 of 100, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You are comparing Apple and Pear.

A Athlon 500 and a K6-2+/3+ at same Clock, the Athlon wins FPU Floatingpoint with great distance and Integer by some 2-3%.
A Athlon 500 and a K6-2+/3+ @600Mhz beats the Athlon in Integer, the Athlon beats the K6-2+/3+ in FPU.

You need 100Mhz FSB and a decent S7 Board (VIA MVP3), i benchmarked this out in the Past.
There is really a good chance your K6-2+ will beat a Athlon Clock for Clock in Doom Benchmark.
But never in Quake.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 75 of 100, by bhtooefr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm wondering how you'd do a fair office productivity responsiveness benchmark, to test Red Hill's claims that the K6-3+ at 5x112 was somewhere between the performance of an Athlon Thunderbird 1000 and a Athlon XP Palomino 1700+. (Then again, there's a lot of crap on Red Hill's site, like the bit about the 386 being designed before the 286, and them trying to represent a 286 at 25 MHz as being as fast as a 386DX at 40 MHz.)

Note that this is different from an office productivity benchmark in general, which is testing primarily things that actually do require some grunt, like spell checking, running formulas across a spreadsheet, and the like, although that's also included in a responsiveness benchmark (especially with Office spell-checking on the fly).

I'm thinking the first thing would be to run as similar chipsets as possible for every platform, with as similar GPUs as possible. So, if you're running an MVP3 on the K6-3+, run an Apollo Pro or Apollo Pro 133 on the Intel parts, and a KX133 or KT133 on the K7 parts. Or, if you're using the MVP4 on the K6-3+, use a PLE133 for Intel, and a KLE133 for K7s. (But, for what I'm suggesting here, an external GPU with DVI would be best - this is going to require specialized hardware, and DVI makes this easier, so SS7-era IGPs aren't wanted.) This way, the CPU is what's under test, not the chipset.

Then, perform an automated script of multitasking office tasks (this includes both mouse and keyboard input), with a system analyzing the display to know what the display should show when the task is complete. (The blinking cursor will need to be disabled, and this hardware will need to ignore the clock's region on the display).

Effectively, you'll have measured the latency of the system in those office tasks, and can then actually measure "snappiness" of a machine.

Frankly, this technique would also be interesting to apply to other platforms, too, like the IDT WinChip (which could be tested on the MVP3 or MVP4, too), the VIA C3 (which could be tested on an Apollo Pro or PLE133, too), and the Pentium 4 (which would need to be tested on a newer generation of chipset).

The argument that the K6-3+ can flush its pipeline in response to user activity more quickly makes some sense, but then you've also got an argument that at least in a single-tasking environment, long pipeline chips that clock up high are sometimes said to feel snappier than their benchmarks claim. (And let me tell you, the Samuel 2 Eden at 533 MHz I've got doesn't feel like a Tillamook Pentium MMX at all in general GUI responsiveness, even though the actual performance is in that ballpark once you actually ask it to do something.) And, ultimately, unless there's cache missing going on in the Athlon that isn't happening in the K6-3+, an Athlon at about 933 MHz should be, worst case, as responsive as the K6-3+ at 560 (6 stage vs. 10 stage pipeline, assuming all stages take 1 cycle, which is the point of pipelining, but some early x86 CPUs had slower pipelines, which is more likely to be a problem with the K6 pipeline than the K7 pipeline...) Oh, and the Athlon had twice the K6-3+'s L1, and while its L2 was slower, it was also twice as big, and far faster than the K6-3+'s L3, and its DRAM was faster than the K6-3+'s, even overclocked as in Red Hill's example.

Reply 76 of 100, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I maintain my opinion about the K6-III's performance in games / FPU synthetics. The only benchmark is scores noticeably slower is 3Dmark99, where a K6 III at 550MHz scores about as high as a 450MHz PIII. In contrast, in glide using a V2 the K6-III at 550 is on par with a 550MHz PIII - same with synthetics like FPU Julia. It is slower in some direct3d apps then a PIII, but faster in others. I remember in Unreal the K6 was ALMOST as fast as a PIII at the same frequency, witch I found surprising.

Like I said, I'll open a whole benchmark thread as soon as I'm done moving. I can bench the K6-2 at 400, 500 and 550, the K6-III at 400, 500 and 550, P2 at 400 (deschutes), P3 Katmai at 450, 500 and 550, and if my slotket mod works a Coppermine downclocked to 550.

As a preliminary benchmark to compare some PII / PIII's against - K6-III 400ATZ @ 550MHz 1.8v on Aopen AX59PRO (VIA MVP3 2MB, ATX), Creative Voodoo Banshee AGP:

I found these in a word document - I ran them when testing the Aopen board:

Unreal Timedemo, intro map, 800x600, High, Dynamic Lighting ON, 3DFX GLIDE: 29.94 fps (1554 frames, 51.9 seconds) - that's on par with my 500MHz Katmai.
Quake 2 timedemo demo1.dm2 - 800x600 max quality, 3DFX Glide: 32.2 fps, 689 frames, 21.4 seconds
Quake 2 timedemo demo1.dm2 - 800x600 max quality, Default OpenGL: 31.4 fps, 689 frames, 21.9 seconds
GL_Quake Timedemo demo1 -640x480: 51.7 fps, 969 frames, 18.7 seconds

Not very relevant since all tests should have been run at 640x480, and the machine was not optimized in any way - I just ran with default bios settings and the default creative banshee driver. I plan to optimize all machines, and I have some really nice boards to test the intel CPUs in - an Abit BE6-II (intel 440BX) and a Soyo SY-6VBA133+ (VIA Apollo PRO)

Last edited by kanecvr on 2016-02-27, 18:57. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 78 of 100, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In my V2 (and SLI) CPU scaling project: http://www.philscomputerlab.com/voodoo-2-and- … ng-project.html

I've testet the K6-III+ and lots of other processors, including Pentium III. But I didn't have an Athlon or Duron.

The thing is, at the higher resolution which is 800 x 600 for a single card and 1024 x 768 for SLI, there is not that much of a difference. However, these results only show average FPS. If I'd do the whole thing again, I would definitely include a section that looks into min / max and average results.

At low resolutions the Pentium III clearly pulls away, at SLI sometimes with a massive lead. So that tells me that the Pentium III is clearly the faster gaming processor, however when you play at higher resolutions it's not as noticeable. But there are other other factors such as loading time where the Pentium III also has the edge.

I did not use any special 3D now! patches though, so keep that in mind.

I like the SS7 platform because it's so flexible with disabling caches and all of that. But if I'd be building a dedicated Windows 98 machine + the option to play late DOS games, I'd go with a Slot 1 system any day!

YouTube, Facebook, Website