VOGONS

First post, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, it used to work with my last config (Pentium mmx 233), the sound and midi worked just fine, now I'm with a K6-III+ 400, but the HDD was formated and clean, the only thing I did was to backup all the games from the game folder and restore it to the HDD.
The game Works just fine with any midi config and any sound effect config that isn't sound blaster (but that result in no sounds effect).
The problem is with sound, the game start without any error message but when I start a game or press the introduction button, the game just opens a black dos Window with a message "finished".

I'm running it on a Game Theater 64 (didn't changed before) and here're the ports:
IRQ:5, DMA0:1, DMA1:3, MPU401:320.
Neither this or the automatic config worked (and for that I need to disable the bios pnp and then Windows would set the irq 10 to it, the sound card worked on that config just fine with duke 3D and other games, but not with 🤣).

The game version is 1.02, and idk if only changing the cpu could affect that much the game 🙁

It's quite sad, because there isn't a long time that it was working, I even did a video showing how it sounds on that sound card...

Should I add some comand into autoexec.bat? (for now it's a clean file)

Reply 1 of 5, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No the CPU has nothing to do with it. Try running with a regular SB16, disable your parallel port and use IRQ 7. The fact that you re-formatted, you were probably using some old sound settings you forgot about. I don't really understand what else is being said.

The reason why the game is going to a black screen with "finished" is due to a configuration conflict.

Reply 3 of 5, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll install it later on my computer and let you know (I actually have two sound cards running on it internally). It looks like your Guillemot sound card is plug and play (which as nice as "PnP" hardware is, software can change its settings).

You stated that you have the following:
IRQ:5, DMA0:1, DMA1:3, MPU401:320.

Were these values the ones you set in device manager? And once verified in device manager, were these the values the game has been told to work with?

Reply 4 of 5, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the values I saw with the ESS config dos software.
And these values worked on the other games like duke nuke 3d, doom, dune 2,... (I'm using duke nuke 3D just for quick sound test).

If I set PNP OS to off on bios, it'll show an extra two strings before the Windows boot, it'll show the sound card name twice and his irq/dma. if not, Windows will set it to use irq 10 instead of 5.

The 🤣 setup is a bit "too easy" you can only set the sound card model, but not the irq/dma...

Reply 5 of 5, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, I found the solution of the problem, I needed to move the VWWSD.386 to the system folder plus add it to the system.ini for the system loads it at the start.
I discovered that by not inserting the cd, with that It showed that it was missing the vwwsd.386 (even if it was in the same folder that the game was)