VOGONS

First post, by trodas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Old cards, like nVidia Vanta LT 16MB:
n_Vidia_Vanta_LT_16_MB.jpg

...have no holes around GPU, so that any cooler must be glued on them by some heat conductive glue.

Such glues are for example supplied with the Arctic Cooler Mono Plus VGA heatsink. But when I tried to use it today, I find out, that both tubes - altrough never used before - turned internaly into chewing-gum 😠 😠 😠

That is somewhat surprising to pierce a never opened thermal adhesive to find out, that it is completely useless...
http://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/accelero-mono-plus.html
"Thermal Adhesive (included)"

So that makes me wonder, what others use and with what experiences. Because I need some replacement... 😉

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong. Voltaire
I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts... Hemingway

Reply 1 of 8, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i use atic alumina thermal adhesive, its an epoxy but works real well. I've also put thermal paste in the middle and super glue around the edges of a chip and that works also.

Reply 2 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I've had Arctic Silver's thermal epoxy turn into gum too with age. The stuff is great before it deteriorates though. Note that it's probably a permanent bond.

Reply 3 of 8, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive, as well. It keeps longer refrigerated, but I think we're only talking about a year or so before it goes bad. Not sure how long the bond keeps after application; it's meant to be permanent but many people have complaints. There is some room for user error in the mixing process, so dunno.

The common solution is to use regular paste and put small drops of superglue on the corners of the chip surface.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 5 of 8, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use 3M's thermally conductive tape, for example http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/E … N=8704987&rt=r3.

There are plenty of different "models" in terms of thickness, conductivity etc. They're quite strong to safely hold a heatsink, but also removal is easy. Just be careful if you end up buying this, some (many) cheap Asian sellers sell normal adhesives as heat conductive.

Reply 6 of 8, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use the Arctic Alumina two-part epoxy. I mix it 1:1 as directed. Good stuff. Electrical insulator too, in case you're sloppy like me.

I've got some cards using it for what seems like 10+ years without problems. No "gum" issue or anything like that.

Note: As others have mentioned, it has a shelf-life of about one year if you refrigerate it.

Reply 7 of 8, by Dropcik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I put a dab of arctic silver 5 in the center of the chip and a few dabs of non conductive super glue around the edges of the chip (or around the perimeter) and twist the heat sink on the chip a little so it makes good contact. This is probably the cheapest and most permanent solution I've used. I'm really just too lazy to order epoxy online 🤣

Last edited by Dropcik on 2015-10-30, 13:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Ayy LMAO