VOGONS

First post, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another part of my benchmark project is finished & online. 😀
Text is written in czech but the charts should be easy to understand for everyone.
http://www.cnews.cz/testy/test-historickych-p … -ziskava-navrch

link to previous part - 1995 - 1999
CPU benchmark - part I. (1995 - 1999)

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 1 of 4, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't speak for the rest of the benchmarks, but there's something weird going on in the gaming section. The 1.4 P3 Tualatin is not nearly as fast as an Athlon XP. I've tested quite a few setups for an "Ultimate Voodoo 3 build", including my treasured 1.4GHz P4-S and my 1,2GHz tualeron overclocked to 1463 - none are as fast as a meager 1.2GHz Athlon running on a VIA KT133. I'll redo the benchmarks myself this weekend.

In FPU Julia (aida64) the three are close, with the 1463 mhz celeron taking the lead, the athlon second and the p4 a close third, but it's a very close race, just a few points difference between the tree.

Lower down the same chart,the 1GHz PIII is etching out a 1GHz duron. I've had a 950MHz duron stomp my 1GHz P3 setups using both i815 and Via Apollo pro boards. The FPU on PIII chips isn't as fast clock for clock as the Duron/Athlon.

My point is - I don't get how you're getting better results out of the P3-s then out of an Athlon XP.

Reply 2 of 4, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, there are plenty of factors that affect gaming performance.

1. windows XP - certainly slower than win98, maybe the performance hit is bigger for AMD and lower for Intel
2. fast VGA - GF 6800 Ultra is overkill for testing this level of CPU performance. Some CPUs may profit more from it, and others less. What videocard are you using?
3. Motherboard, especially VIA based boards are hit and miss. Some of them are rather fast, others are terrible.

That KT133A I used is rather good, imho. KT266A Biostar on the other hand.... not so much. But it is the only period-correct DDR-based s462 MB I have. Still better than AMD-760MPX, but far from perfect, thats for sure. Asus TUSL2 is one of the best s370 boards and Tualatin performance proves it.

PIII-S is good, no doubt. Athlon XP may be better when running on fast chipset and MB... look at Q3A performance:

Athlon 1400 (KT133A) =136,1
Athlon 1400 (KT266A) = 144,4
Athlon XP 1600+ (KT266A) = 134,6
Athlon XP 2000+ (nForce2 U400) = 182,3

PIII-S 1400 = 148

Raw FPU performance is not the only important thing. Memory and cache performance matters a lot and VIA chipsets are usually much slower than Intel. Just as AMD cache is almost always slower and higher latency.

Reply 4 of 4, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One word - VIA. 🤣
Anything can happen when running these chipsets - thats the reason I dont like them.