VOGONS

First post, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heyhey,

fiddling around again I decided to swap the mobo of my DX4 overdrive build from a Soyo 025L2 Board to a FIC 486 GIO VT mainly because the FIC is in better shape, more modern and has onboard (never got VLB IO to work on the Soyo).

So, after figuring out much about flashing old BIOSes (the FIC didn't POST with the DX4 Overdrive, so I had to swap the EPROM with a flashable EEPROM and hot flash it in a Socket 7 PCI system because Uniflash won't work properly without a PCI Bus) i got everything running an started up 3Dbench.

The results made me curious about how big a difference made by the mainboard or chipset can be.
With the Soyo Board i got about 77 points and with the FIC board i got only about 55 points.

The soyo has some sis chipset i guess and the FIC has a VIA VT82C486A chipset.
is that via chipset known to be slow? the memory timings on the soyo board were set to rather slow and on the fic to the fastest possible settings. speedsys seems to get a decent score near to the am5x86-133. didnt do memory bandwidth tests yet, however.

the other components were the same, vga card as well as the fpm memory modules.

so... what do you think about this?

thanks!

Reply 1 of 2, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, there can be big differences.

Make sure you use version 1.0c though, it's more precise on faster machines like yours.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 2, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

Yes, there can be big differences.

Make sure you use version 1.0c though, it's more precise on faster machines like yours.

is it possible that fsb is different on the two systems? i think the fic is configured for 33mhz right now and the soyo was set to 66mhz.