VOGONS

Compaq cds 524 - upgrade info [help]

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 93, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks 😉

btw does anyone know if its possible to adjust the monitor image size by some sort of software?
i know you can use the screws inside of it to adjust, but at least for me i think its a bit risky, if you know some kind of software that can do the trick, please share 😉

This model doesnt have image adjustments buttons like most monitors on the market and ive big black bars all around it, the image its not at his maximum length...

www.retromania.pt

Reply 23 of 93, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Retromania wrote:
thanks ;) […]
Show full quote

thanks 😉

btw does anyone know if its possible to adjust the monitor image size by some sort of software?
i know you can use the screws inside of it to adjust, but at least for me i think its a bit risky, if you know some kind of software that can do the trick, please share 😉

This model doesnt have image adjustments buttons like most monitors on the market and ive big black bars all around it, the image its not at his maximum length...

I think that this machine is from before the time, when the image filled the screen. Personally, I can not remember exactly what it is called.
You know. The "feature" in wich an image would fill the screen from "edge to edge". It was called something special and marketed as such.
I just can't remember what that speciel technology was called. It was from somewhat 1992 to 1995, that they marketed it regarding monitors.
I think that I have a PDF-Scan of an old magazine somewhere, wich contains a test/review of this machine. Not shure though.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 24 of 93, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

if youll be able to find that review, please send it by pm 😉

Has for the image adjustments, you can always do that manually inside of the crt using a screwdriver, like on any old television, but it would be great if we could do the same via some kind of software.

this user has one computer of the same family has i and did it successfully:

rick12373 wrote:

I had to adjust the centering of the CRT by adjusting some of the tuning screws inside the monitor, which was very scary! .

in: Re: Ressurecting my Compaq Presario CDS 520

Last edited by Retromania on 2015-11-06, 13:01. Edited 1 time in total.

www.retromania.pt

Reply 25 of 93, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can't seem to find anything in my PDF-Stash..... Sorry. Must have been confusing it with an Apple all-in-one from 95, that looks like the Compaq.
Anyway... Searched the web for old scan's of computermagazine's and came up with something else. It's not much though, hope it can help.

https://www.google.dk/search?tbm=bks&hl=da&q=Compaq+cds+524

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 27 of 93, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

anyways thanks to a friend of mine with lot of computer spares, im going to upgrade for free the hard drive and the memory 😉
...from the original 468mb HD to a 8,4g and from 8mb ram to 32mb respectively 😁

not to shabby hehe

www.retromania.pt

Reply 28 of 93, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, however 468 MB HDD and 8 MB RAM would be quite sufficient for such a system too.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 29 of 93, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the amount of ram i agree, its more than suficient for the majority of the games, but the hd a bigger one its a must, ive installed like 10 games and already have only 60mb free 🙁
and once this upgrade is gonna to be free, i dont have nothing to lose, only to gain 😉

www.retromania.pt

Reply 30 of 93, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one these. Had it for over 15years. It has 64megs of ram 😀 Stick a network card in it. A bigger hdd is definately a must. The biggest downfall of this system is the amount of video ram. With only 512k so screen res in Windows is a bit pathetic but ok for the 14" crt. To get a full screen on the crt you have to remove the back shell and adjust a couple of pots using a long insulated screwdriver. It wasn't that hard.

The plastic does get brittle. Mine has developed some cracks around the screen bezel. I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of it as I have a P1 equivalent which is in better condition which came with all the original disks and CD. Also take care if you replace the cdrom or hard drive. the wires in these are fairly small gauge and can get pulled from their connectors. Also take care when reinserting the cdrom/hdd cage. Make sure the IDE and power leads don't catch on anything.I replaced the CDrom on mine with one that could read more modern media and was faster. Usually it should auto detect a new hdd if its within the systems range(mine sports a 2.2 gig hdd and all I had to do was save the new settings when prompted on startup), but if not you might still be lucky enough to have the setup partition and enter hhd paramaters. Press F10 on startup to see if the utility fires up. If not get softpaq sp1363.exe Readme-file ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp1001-1500/sp1363.txt The file itself from ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp1001-1500/ The same softpaq is good for a number of models including my Prolinea 4/66.

You don't have to have the hidden partition to actually have a fully functioning system either, it is optional.It'll run any OS that supports it's hardware nothing special required.

Retromania your first post images seem to be broken. You can save images direct to your vogons.org post. CDSs are small but quite weighty. You don't want to move them around often. Here's mine whilst I was install wfw 3.11 while surfing the net on my Zenith 286/12:

CDS524.jpg
Filename
CDS524.jpg
File size
23.22 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

FWIW I ran Mandrake 6.x on mine for quite a while which supported all it's hardware without hunting for drivers.

linux2.JPG
Filename
linux2.JPG
File size
70.47 KiB
Views
File license

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 31 of 93, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Caluser2000

Thanks a million man for all the info you gave!! 😁
That was the kind of enlightenment i was searching for! 😉

Press F10 on startup to see if the utility fires up. If not get softpaq sp1363.exe Readme-file ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp1001-1500/sp1363.txt The file itself from ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp1001-1500/ The same softpaq is good for a number of models including my Prolinea 4/66.

Yep i wasnt lucky enough to have the hidden partition software on mine, so hitting f10 wont work.
Thanks for sharing that file, its gonna be a really lifesaver 😁

Retromania your first post images seem to be broken. You can save images direct to your vogons.org post.

Thanks, photos updated/attached on my original post 😉

www.retromania.pt

Reply 32 of 93, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@caluser2000

BTW when you changed the hd and the cdrom on yours, you had to remove the entire plastic case? or its possible to do it only by pulling the board out from behind?

www.retromania.pt

Reply 33 of 93, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Undo the two screws at the bottem of the bottem drive/speaker front cover. Make sure they are complelely removed. Then the front cover can be taken off. It clips in quite tighly so be patent. It slides out from under the monitor bezel. Once it's removed you will see two screws holding the hdd/crom drive cage. Undo these and the cage will slide out.

I hope you enjoy mucking around with it as I have with mine over the years.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2019-09-05, 16:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 34 of 93, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Just as I suspected. 72-pin 70ns are after all, just 72-pin 70ns. The only special thing, should (as far as I remember) in fact […]
Show full quote
elianda wrote:

I just used some normal PS/2 SIMMs without parity. Nothing special there...

Just as I suspected. 72-pin 70ns are after all, just 72-pin 70ns.
The only special thing, should (as far as I remember) in fact just be Parity or No-Parity in these type of consumer oriented machines.
When using SD-Ram, then it all becomes a broader knowledge.

It might be wise to stick to FPM modules, it's possible that EDO won't work. There are probably 486 chipsets that can use EDO, but not all of them do.
Anything more than 16-32MB RAM is probably overkill, except maybe for running W95. I don't even know what the cacheable area is with 486 chipsets. But with a generous amount of RAM you can certainly use a big disk cache and maybe also a RAM disk to speed up things.
With a hard disk I can understand the need to upgrade. There are so many games which will run fine on a DX2/66 the disk can't be too big.
A network card is also a nice idea, but is slightly more effort to setup than just using the CD-ROM.

Reply 35 of 93, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well thanks to a great friend of mine, the upgrade has begun 😁

UPGRADE:
- 32mb ram + 4mb onboard = 36mb (original 8mb)
- cdrom 48x (original cdrom 2x)
- HD 4,4g (original 468mb)
- windows 3.11 / msdos 6.22

PHOTOS:

_DSC0008.JPG
Filename
_DSC0008.JPG
File size
178.39 KiB
Views
File comment
BOARD WITH 2 X 16MB RAM ADDED
File license
_DSC0010.JPG
Filename
_DSC0010.JPG
File size
83.38 KiB
Views
File comment
NEW RAM DETECTED + 4MB RAM ONBOARD
File license
_DSC0002.JPG
Filename
_DSC0002.JPG
File size
121 KiB
Views
File comment
FRONT PANEL OPENED TO ACESS CDROM / HD
File license
_DSC0004.JPG
Filename
_DSC0004.JPG
File size
135.6 KiB
Views
File license
_DSC0003.JPG
Filename
_DSC0003.JPG
File size
139.01 KiB
Views
File comment
ORIGINAL HD / CDROM REMOVED
File license
Last edited by Retromania on 2015-11-10, 20:36. Edited 1 time in total.

www.retromania.pt

Reply 36 of 93, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
_DSC0005.JPG
Filename
_DSC0005.JPG
File size
142.59 KiB
Views
File comment
CDROM 48X / HD 4,4G [REPLACEMENTS]
File license
win311.jpg
Filename
win311.jpg
File size
55.18 KiB
Views
File comment
COMPUTER ASSEMBLED WITH NEW CDROM / HD
File license
_DSC0009.JPG
Filename
_DSC0009.JPG
File size
108.66 KiB
Views
File comment
WINDOWS 3.11 FOR WORKGROUPS
File license

IN A NEAR FUTURE:
- ISA Network Card, avoiding burning cd's each time i want to move data to it.
- Intel Overdrive dx4 100 - it can be upgraded to a pentium 83, but i want to keep a 486 to myself, cuz its an special era of my teenage years 😉

www.retromania.pt

Reply 37 of 93, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Neat. Another cpu upgade option is on of those Kingston or similar so called 5x86s. I was going to do that with mine but didn't bother as I mentioned earlier I've aquired a P1 version of this form factor.