VOGONS

First post, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone, do you have special concerns about these?
For instance, do you use washers at all? Do you prefer the screws without the flange aroud the head? Use plastic vs metal standoffs? What's your say?

Reply 1 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

never cared about that stuff tbh... and I don't use washers with the stands, AFAIK you need to ground the case with the mobo, that's why the screw holes on mobos have exposed ground plane around them.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 12, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Washers are for motherboards, if a screw for some reason makes a shortening/grounded. Good to have in the toolbox.
(good grounding are mandetory, bad grounding that makes the computer not turn on is a bad grounding)

Srews are well.... Screws are acrews. Not much to say other than I usually use screws with the same look in each computers.
I use as many standoff's that can possibly be used in each machine, to make shure the board is not bending.
Plastic standoff's are used, if I cant use a cobber-standoff in various places.

Just make shure that you use as much as possible, in order to do a decent build.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 3 of 12, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DSC_1854.JPG
Filename
DSC_1854.JPG
File size
640.58 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I was using plastic washers for motherboards in the past, but not anymore. I prefer metal (brass?) standoffs for ATX and plastic ones for AT cases (actually this is mostly a mandatory choice dictated by the case architecture). I try to use same kind of screws and jumpers for a given computer, and use them as much as necessary (no short cuts; no ignored screws, standoffs, clips, etc.). And I love thumb screws, so almost all of my case and card/bracket screws are thumb type.

Last edited by tayyare on 2015-11-19, 18:44. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 4 of 12, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
TELEPACMAN wrote:

Hello everyone, do you have special concerns about these?
For instance, do you use washers at all? Do you prefer the screws without the flange aroud the head? Use plastic vs metal standoffs? What's your say?

Not particularly....... I just use whatever came with the case; if something's missing, I dig into one of my bag of spares (I keep several on hand). And if there are any leftovers I keep them inside the original plastic bag, marked to match the case they belong to.

My only concern is with standoffs. Plastic ones get cut down to size if they're too tall; metal ones are screwed in by hand only - stripped one too many by using hex screwdrivers.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 5 of 12, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

...bag of spares...

Might find this solution usefull then 😉

Goodie-Box.jpg

It's my box of screws and small parts. Love this kind of solution as it can be placed in a closet and have stuff thrown on top.

Reply 6 of 12, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

That box looks very useful indeed brostenen. I know two local hardware stores that have them in several sizes, will give them a visit when I have some free time 😊 . Thanks!

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 7 of 12, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

That box looks very useful indeed brostenen. I know two local hardware stores that have them in several sizes, will give them a visit when I have some free time 😊 . Thanks!

No problemo. Have had this for the last 10 years or more. 😀

Reply 8 of 12, by manbearpig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For some reason I really like the Torx screws that Compaq used in the '90s.

Least favorite are the black IBM screws that are slotted hex head.

That being said, I would use anything that holds it together in the end.

Premio 212B motherboard (MSI MS-6112)
Intel PentiumII 333MHz Slot 1 66MHz bus
384MB ECC 66MHz
SIIG ATA133 controller --> Seagate Barracuda 80GB
SIIG Gigabit Ethernet (RTL8169) / USB 2.0 / IEEE1394 controller
ESS 1869 soundcard on board wavetable synth

Reply 10 of 12, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The felt washers are only needed when you use screws for a mobo that have serrated (saw tooth) heads on the underside.
It is to keep the screws from gouging out the solder circle around the holes in the motherboard.

It is/was a bad solution to the problem of using the wrong kind of screws in the first place.

Motherboard screws should be smooth on the underside and used with no insulating washers as the purpose of those solder circles is to ground the motherboard's ground plane to the case.
If you use a felt washer - no ground point.
If you use a serrated screw with no washer - solder gouges out - possibly no ground point or a poor ground.
Using nylon stand-offs for every hole is also a bad idea.

The screws with serrated heads are meant to be used against steel as with mounting a PSU, hard drive, add-in cards (to the back slots) or holding the case together.
Back in the day case companies got cheap and did not want to supply two kinds of screws so they threw in some cheap felt washers.
At this point people are so used to seeing them used that no one thinks about it.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2015-11-23, 22:51. Edited 2 times in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 12 of 12, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:

... I was using plastic washers for motherboards in the past ...

You should always use metal standoffs to properly ground the mobo.

I like thumb screws, quick & easy and no screwdriver required.

Thumb-Screw.jpg

Let the air flow!