VOGONS

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About ready to give up looking for a slot 1 board for my P3 coppermine chip so thought maybe an AMD alternative would easier to come by. Know nothing about them being an Intel guy, any suggestions please?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 7, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depends what you want to play on it. If you want to run 1995-1998 software and games and want to use early dos games, a socket 7 AMD K6-2 or K6-3 rig or a slow socke A machine (up to 800MHz) is what you want. If you want to run newer games and software (up to 2002-2003) go for a fast socket A machine.

Reply 2 of 7, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For a slower rig i would recommend to go for a pentium II or III build..
For a faster more 2000 year build i would recommend to get an Athlon XP or Pentium 4.

A slot 1 motherboard isnt hard to find if you dont have to much whishes.

Dont know where you live, but perhaps this is something for you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-SE440BX-2-MOTHE … W8AAOSwgQ9V6ZsV

Or just look for Intel 440BX chipset.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3 of 7, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:
For a slower rig i would recommend to go for a pentium II or III build.. For a faster more 2000 year build i would recommend to […]
Show full quote

For a slower rig i would recommend to go for a pentium II or III build..
For a faster more 2000 year build i would recommend to get an Athlon XP or Pentium 4.

A slot 1 motherboard isnt hard to find if you dont have to much whishes.

Dont know where you live, but perhaps this is something for you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-SE440BX-2-MOTHE … W8AAOSwgQ9V6ZsV

Or just look for Intel 440BX chipset.

If I were to try and buy that board, it would cost me 39$ item cost + 58$ shipping. For 10-15$ I can source a complete working socket 370, socket A or socket 478 PC locally.

Reply 4 of 7, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

a good system would be a socket A board with an Athlon 1000 , should be more than enough (depends on the graphics card of course) for games even in 2001.

you could get something faster like an Athlon 1400 , but you need some very good cooling for that one (very fast though)

Reply 5 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For Socket A, Palomino or Thoroughbred are period correct as well and much less of a room heater than the old T-Bird cpus.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 7, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I'd recommend cheating a bit with AMD boards and using a later one with the 4-Pin 12V connector if you plan on installing a faster CPU. A lot of older boards were not capable of powering them properly and had stability issues when made to run them. Unfortunately, almost everyone on this planet board crap motherboards so finding a good one is not so easy these days.

Avoid the nForce chipsets, you will not enjoy them at all.

You may, of course, be sacrificing DOS compatibility but if you are only running Win98 software that isn't going to matter very much.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 7 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOS (7.1) should be fine. I've run MPXPLAY on FreeDOS using a KT400, AXP 1700+ setup. Native sound support. Dos games will be more problematic, of course, mostly due to PCI only audio.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder