VOGONS

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a Kingwin front panel add-on with a temperature probe but have no idea where to hook it up. It comes with attachment stickers and the included diagram shows the probe being attached between the cpu and it's cooler, but I got a slot 1 P3 so the diagram is not applicable. Anyone out there have any ideas?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 5, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hm, wedge it in between the cooler and the CPU cartridge, as near as possible to the actual CPU?

I wouldn't worry too much about it since it's not going to be accurate anyway, even with the original method. Or is the sensor flat enough to actually install it between CPU and cooler?

Reply 2 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just leave it floating in the case somewhere and have it monitor the case temp rather than the CPU temp.

Last time I tried wedging the sensor between the CPU and cooler (socket 478), it bumped the CPU temps up by 20C, just due to the sensor interfering with proper contact between the CPU and HSF. Screw that.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 5, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

Just leave it floating in the case somewhere and have it monitor the case temp rather than the CPU temp.

I agree.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 4 of 5, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always shove temperature probes into one of the fins at the edge of the heatsink. You can usually apply a small amount of thermal paste to both improve accuracy and act as a form of glue to stop the probe falling out. It is never accurate, but it gives you a rough idea.

Never install anything (other than thermal interface materials) between a CPU and a heatsink. I have never understood why the designers think this is a good idea.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 5 of 5, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

I always shove temperature probes into one of the fins at the edge of the heatsink. You can usually apply a small amount of thermal paste to both improve accuracy and act as a form of glue to stop the probe falling out. It is never accurate, but it gives you a rough idea.

Never install anything (other than thermal interface materials) between a CPU and a heatsink. I have never understood why the designers think this is a good idea.

I put my signature under every word.

If CPU temperature makes one worry enough to buy a probe, why would he deliberately increase that temperature by installing the probe? 😵