VOGONS

First post, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I've had this weird problem for a while now and recently figured out the optical drive was at fault. What's going on is related to Tomb Raider. Whenever I try to load level 3, the game will crash saying "Level 3 (D:\data\level3a.phd) is version -458722 (this game code is version 32)", where that negative number is seemingly random, sometimes negative, sometimes not.

System is Windows 98SE, but I'm running this in real mode DOS. The problem doesn't exist in Windows. I've tried messing around endlessly with my autoexec.bat and config.sys to no avail. When I finally ran out of ideas, I tried using a drive in another system just to see what would happen, and then it loaded the level just fine! So at that point, I concluded something was wrong with the drive I was using, so I ordered another one, only to be disappointed again with the new drive doing the exact same thing as the old one (different model and brand), and for the life of me, I can't understand why. It reads everything else correctly, it's just this game in particular that seems to be stumping it, but only in DOS.

I should also note that a possible workaround is to mute all sound in the game, then load the level. While this works, it's really inconvenient to have to mute everything to just turn it back on after the level loads, and I shouldn't have to do that anyway.

I know this game works fine in Windows, however I'd like to get it working in DOS as well, as it is a DOS game. (also because the Mystique patch doesn't seem to work in Windows)

So my question is, are there certain optical drives that just have weird problems that should be avoided, or am I just getting unlucky? Is there a way to solve this problem? I've Googled this to the ends of the earth and have found nothing.

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
MT-32 | SC-55mkII, 88Pro, 8820 | SB16 CT2230
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 1 of 36, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some idea's

When you say mute the sound is that cd audio ?
what audio cable are you using 2pin/4pin or none ?
try a different cd rom driver
try booting from a dos 6.22 or 5.0 floppy disk

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 36, by DX7_EP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wonder, which models of drives are they specifically?

Also it may help to use different CD (eg. SHSUCDX + videccd.sys) instead of the usual MSCDEX + oakcdrom.sys combination.

Davros wrote:

From what BSoD and I have mentioned in private chatter elsewhere, he has to mute all audio (both SFX and streamed CD audio) for that level to load. It also isn't tied to the sound card, given he has issues with both a Yamaha Audacian 32 and a SB16.

CM-64, FB-01, SC-55ST, SC-8850, SD-20

Reply 3 of 36, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:
Some idea's […]
Show full quote

Some idea's

what audio cable are you using 2pin/4pin or none ?
try a different cd rom driver
try booting from a dos 6.22 or 5.0 floppy disk

Yeah, I mute everything for it to load, including cd audio.
It's a 4-pin.
I'll be looking into that and report back once I manage to set a different one up.
Don't have any of those, unfortunately.

DX7_EP wrote:

I wonder, which models of drives are they specifically?

Also it may help to use different CD (eg. SHSUCDX + videccd.sys) instead of the usual MSCDEX + oakcdrom.sys combination.

First drive is model TS-H492C/DELH by "Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology", second drive is model GCE-8400B by "Hitachi-LG Data Storage,Inc."

I've been seeing posts about other drivers, like those ones, so I'll try them out soon and report back.

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 5 of 36, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried vide-cdd.sys with mscdex and it still failed with both drives. Now I'm using vide-cdd.sys with shsucdx and level 3 now loads on both drives (I'll be sticking with my original one as it behaves better, the newer one is quite finicky). The one issue I'm getting with this method now is that CD Be Quiet (cdbq) is no longer functioning, instead saying the device is not ready all the time. I have managed to avoid this problem by navigating to the D: drive and using the dir command, which will then allow me to load cdbq, but this seems an inefficient way to load this program.

Edit: Ok, update. CDBQ doesn't like vide-cdd when used with shsucdx for some reason until I force it to work via accessing the drive somehow. However, I found out some more bad news. The crash on level 3 still exists. It just doesn't happen the first time, but will happen the second time (regardless of cdbq limiting the drive or not). It will load the first time just fine, however, trying to load it a second time causes the same crash as described in the first post, so these drivers are supplementing the problem, but not solving it. (I'm really digging their smaller footprint though)

Reply 6 of 36, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1 - If you get a brand new decent CD-R and make a copy of your Tomb Raider media, does it work?
2 - Are you using SmartDrive? Maybe some caching (and another layer of indirection when reading data from CDs) would help. Just be sure to load SMARTDRV.EXE after MSCDEX.EXE. If you are using SHSUCDX there should be an utility to patch SmartDrive and create a SMARTCDX.EXE that should be used instead.

Reply 7 of 36, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you disable DMA for the IDE channel where CD-Rom is connected too?

I have an Abit KT7 which has Problem when reading files from CD when DMA is on.
For example on a CD with hundreds of pictures, there a few unreadable or corrupt.

Reply 8 of 36, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The CD I've been using has been a CD-RW, however, it does the same thing with an original copy as well.

I have not been using SmartDrive. I just tried using it in conjunction with MSCDEX and it did nothing to help. Trying to use smartcdx but I can't seem to get it to work at all. Not sure how you're supposed to use it.

I can adjust DMA within Windows (had it enabled). I disabled that, but it made no difference, though I'm in real mode DOS so I don't think it even sees that (?).

Reply 9 of 36, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Agent of the BSoD wrote:

The CD I've been using has been a CD-RW, however, it does the same thing with an original copy as well.

I have not been using SmartDrive. I just tried using it in conjunction with MSCDEX and it did nothing to help. Trying to use smartcdx but I can't seem to get it to work at all. Not sure how you're supposed to use it.

I can adjust DMA within Windows (had it enabled). I disabled that, but it made no difference, though I'm in real mode DOS so I don't think it even sees that (?).

If you want another set of drivers to try, look at these

Reply 11 of 36, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sammy wrote:

I can disable DMA in Bios.

Disable DMA and set to PIO-Mode

Disabled UDMA for it and tried PIO mode on every setting (auto, and 0 - 4), nothing changed.

Reply 13 of 36, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried the 6.22 boot disk. Was able to run TR without actually installing it, and I can load level 3 just fine there (albeit with no sound at all).

Edit: Speaking of no sound, I just went to test that very thing. I removed my set blaster line, removed the sound card driver line, and ran TR's setup and selected no sound, and now no matter how many times I load level 3, it's fine. (internally, the game still seems to be "playing" the background music as I can see my drive being busy with that, despite not being able to hear it at all, though I know it stops if you set the in-game music volume to 0)

Last edited by Agent of the BSoD on 2015-11-16, 21:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 36, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, that doesn't really narrow down anything, since it worked fine if you muted the sound card in the first place. From the MS-DOS bootdisk navigate your HDD, initialize your sound card, set the correct environment variables and try it then.

Reply 15 of 36, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's what I was trying to do, but I can't seem to access the C: drive at all.

Reply 17 of 36, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

Oh... it is probably because it is FAT32. DOS 6.22 won't access those.

Yep, I Google'd that and came to the same conclusion. It is indeed FAT32.

Reply 19 of 36, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I put in the drive I just bought into my Pentium 3 system (I can't do that with the sound cards since the Pentium 3 lacks ISA slots and I lack any other system to do this with), and loaded up DOS mode, loaded up TR (cd audio was missing, probably a driver problem, but I could see the drive playing it regardless of me hearing it, moot point anyway) and level skipped to level 3, and it crashed instantly. So I plugged back in the drive that was always with this system, did the exact same thing with the same configs (which is oak + mscdex), level skipped to level 3, and all is fine. So I made a save of that level, loaded level 1 again, loaded save, still fine (this made it crash on my other system when level 3 does load, since it only loads unless another level is loaded). So I can conclude that the drives are again at fault, as the main drive in this system will not crash the game whatsoever.

Edit: Yep, definitely the drives. I put in the working drive into my retro machine, fired up the game, and it's all fine no matter what I do.