VOGONS

Reply 20 of 36, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

can you replace the HDD and install another one , where you can install dos6.22 with fat16?

Then install the soundcard drivers, cd-rom drivers.

And install the game.

Maybe dos7 has no problem with optical drives, but tombraider has a problem with dos7 (fat32)

Reply 22 of 36, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, it doesn't seem like it's a problem with DOS 7 in particular, but possibly just DOS in general with this game and with only certain optical drives. Still weird, though, that the game works fine in Windows, but real mode DOS bugs the drives out. Makes me think there's an underlying incompatibility somewhere in the CD drivers but I can't seem to go around that. I think I'll just get another drive and hope that it works, they're pretty cheap.

And I don't have any other HDDs to use, I've just got one per system. And yeah, definitely not a problem with TR not liking DOS 7 as it's fine with a drive in another system.

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
MT-32 | SC-55mkII, 88Pro, 8820 | SB16 CT2230
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 24 of 36, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I haven't, yet. Looks like I need to shoot them an email to get them. Just need to actually find it...

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 25 of 36, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Agent of the BSoD wrote:

I haven't, yet. Looks like I need to shoot them an email to get them. Just need to actually find it...

What?! Oh well, this guy used to have everything up to download on the site itself. The fact that it is using a dyndns address instead of a paid one (as it used to be) is probably a good indicator that he was having hosting issues though,

Reply 26 of 36, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I received today a Sony Optiarc DVD-ROM drive (DDU1678A, made in Sept. '09) and hooked it up to my K6 system, and surprise, level 3 crashed again. I was hoping getting a drive that is very similar to the drive that does work in my Pent 3 system would help solve the problem, as it's also a Sony Optiarc drive, but apparently that's not the case, so now I have three drives that exhibit the same problem. (did BIOS settings for UDMA and PIO mode, and different combinations of DOS drivers, exact same effect as the other two drives, no difference at all)

Reply 28 of 36, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Shouldn't be. The game checks for the CD during startup, and reads information from it during gameplay, since the data is kept on disc and not installed on the HDD. The drives are just acting like they're reading the data incorrectly and the game doesn't like that.

Reply 29 of 36, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I figured so, but wasn't confident enough to dismiss the possibility. I believe most of the more creative violations of the Yellow Book standard were kept for later.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 31 of 36, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The SHSUCDX image mounter can only do single session.

I've been wondering for a while if a Gotek-type solution couldn't be created to fake an ATAPI device.

Reply 32 of 36, by DX7_EP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was thinking it might also be the disc in question. Perhaps make your own copy of it and see if that does any tricks?

CM-64, FB-01, SC-55ST, SC-8850, SD-20

Reply 33 of 36, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DX7_EP wrote:

I was thinking it might also be the disc in question. Perhaps make your own copy of it and see if that does any tricks?

Already done, noted in an earlier post.

Reply 35 of 36, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up a nearly identical model of the drive I have that works in my Dimension 4100, but black bezel instead of beige to match the case, and it works! Level 3 loads just fine. Looks like the trick is to use a Sony CDU5225.

I do have a question about this drive, though. I noticed these extra pins on the back and I have no idea what they are, as they are unlabeled.
6kwI6Mrl.jpg?1

Those 6 pins on the far left there. What are those?

Reply 36 of 36, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Agent of the BSoD wrote:

Those 6 pins on the far left there. What are those?

If you manage to find them mentioned in any documentation at all it will probably say something incredibly useful like "reserved".
Most likely they are used to program the firmware or to test the drive at the factory after the drive is assembled.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.