VOGONS

First post, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So what would you do with 2gb of ram in a piii system? The system I have will be running rhel3 and 2k.
Im thinking of disabling swap/page file. Maybe a ram drive ? Anyone know of ramdrive solfware that works in 2k? Any other ideas? I could make a scrip at start up that would copy all my dos apps into the ram drive or something. Other then that I can't think of much I could use the ram for.

Reply 1 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd probably remove the ram to a point where I know it's cached, depending on motherboard. Like maybe, reduce it to 256-512mb.

Last edited by leileilol on 2015-11-16, 02:47. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 9, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have no idea. I have 2GB on my Dual P3 box and I do use it when I'm playing with videos and graphics on there. I do have a RAM Drive, but that is only when I boot 98, the swap file is in the RAM drive - not useful under Win2K, but 98 cannot boot with 2GB of RAM so the RAM Drive allows the OS to effectively use all 2GB as if there were no swap file... It's a pain in the ass and I have never seen it dip into that under normal usage.

Personally, I'd just go with turning off the swap file as you are not likely to encounter anything that is going to exceed the memory limit unless you want to do serious multi-tasking. At least, so far as I can tell, I have no idea what rhel3 is. I would guess you are referring to Red Hat and I have no idea as to what the limits or normal operating characteristics of the operating system are because I have never used it for any extended period of time.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 5 of 9, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
saturn wrote:

So what would you do with 2gb of ram in a piii system? The system I have will be running rhel3 and 2k.

W2k can use up to 4Gb RAM and swap/page file up to the same.
You may come across some 'old wisdom' out on the web that says to set the page file (in windows) to 1.5x or 2x (or similar) times the physical RAM.
That came out long before systems could take 2Gb.
After 2GB I set the physical-to-page file ratio to 1:1 and that has worked well for me.
Two tricks I do are:
I manually set the min and max to the same value.
- Keeps windows from perpetually resizing it.
I put the whole page file on one non-OS drive rather than letting Windows spread it around.
- Keeps the page file load (bandwidth and drive activity) off the OS drive.

saturn wrote:

I'm thinking of disabling swap/page file.

I tried that and had problems but it's been too long ago to remember what they were.
I think it was Firefox crashing but not 100% sure. - I tend to open zillions of web pages at the same time.
You might not have a problem at all. Just try it.

saturn wrote:

Maybe a ram drive ? Anyone know of ramdrive solfware that works in 2k?

Yes. I did that. It worked fine.
Again, it was too long ago and I've forgotten the details.

I actually still use W2k in off-line systems.
Just been too long since I experimented with it.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 6 of 9, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:

Not that it matters here, but some server editions of W2k can use even more RAM. (8GB for Advanced Server, 32GB for Datacenter Server)
Probably not interesting from todays standpoint, with x64 those limits are a lot higher for all later Windows versions/editions.

Reply 7 of 9, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
idspispopd wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

Not that it matters here, but some server editions of W2k can use even more RAM. (8GB for Advanced Server, 32GB for Datacenter Server)
Probably not interesting from todays standpoint, with x64 those limits are a lot higher for all later Windows versions/editions.

No. Can't use more RAM as they are all still 32-bit which limits them to 4Gb.
- Least not without implementing PAE extensions which actually slows them down. (Great if you have 100's of users on a server though.)
The Server versions can run more CPU cores though. The plain W2k is limited to 2 cores.
I run W2k Advanced Server with the 'unofficial' SP-5a on a Supermicro X7DAL-E with 2x L5420 Xeon quad cores and 4Gb RAM.
In truth the noticeable performance difference between that one and a system with a respectable C2D @ 4Gb is nil, but I just HAD to build it - cause I a geek.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 9 of 9, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

I'm pretty sure server editions of Win2k do implement PAE and have it turned on by default (as do many Linux distros)

It's not a default. You have to enable it manually.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/268363