VOGONS

First post, by bbhaag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So the title pretty much explains it. I need to re-purpose the heatsink on my 486-66 onto a 486-100 so how do I go about doing that? It appears to be glued onto the cpu so would a little gentle persuasion with a flat head screwdriver and a hammer pop it off?

Reply 1 of 5, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could be glue. Could be some crusty old thermal paste. I'd try and get a flat head between the heat sink and CPU and gently torque it. I wouldn't be using a hammer.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 2 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sometimes freezing is an option. Some recommend using a razor blade to try to break the bonds. For physical force, apply torque in a plane parallel with the chip (twist the heat sink).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 5, by bbhaag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestions. Due to the style of heatsink I don't think I will be able to use the twist method. As you can see in the pic the heatsink has two sides that come down past the ceramic top of the cpu. I think I will try the razor blade/flat head screwdriver method first and see how it goes. No hammers though haha. 😀

DSCF4188_zpswlaj6tgm.jpg

Reply 5 of 5, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The heatsink is likely mounted to the CPU with thermal adhesive tape. You might want to power the machine on for a while and put it under a load to really heat it up. The adhesive will soften and much easier to remove.