VOGONS

First post, by Formulator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So the year is 1997, and you have an Aptiva 2159-S76 (200mhz, etc.) with an ISA MWAVE Dolphin adapter. You have the recovery CD, but no diagnostics CD. You even even have the full set of MIDI samples. The offical IBM drivers for version 20E install perfect but the MIDI driver refuses to be loaded, so playback of MIDI is not possible. The MIDI samples were not too bad, considering. Unless the diagnostics CD shows up, it will not work properly.

Then you ask yourself...what is the best replacement card for this unit? You also wish to find a card that embodies the sample playback nature of the MWAVE and still allow for playback through Audiostation...to keep it authentic of course. I know that the next chipset IBM used after MWAVE was the Crystal CS4232.

Reply 2 of 9, by Formulator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stuvize wrote:

Thanks but not quite:

The parts numbers for the CD's are:

[2159 S64, 13R, S66, 14R, S74, 15R, S76, 20R, S78, 16R]: 76H4685 & 76H4686.

These CD's came with Win95A. I do have the recovery CD's for the 2161, which was almost exactly the same except the OS Win95B, same pre-loaded software The only thing different was it has drivers for a separate modem & sound card (as a result of the inherent problems with MWAVE). IBM's most updated drivers (20E) still have MIDI playback errors "MMSYSTEM003" which I am to understand is a greater than 16MB of RAM issue...? Also I have a (3) disk set and (6) disk set of MIDI samples, but it is still not as large as the set that is on the recovery CD's. I may have to go the manual route, but am also looking for substitutes (as an academic exercise, of course).

Reply 3 of 9, by stuvize

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I understand you correctly you are running 95B from the 2161 cd and your machine is 2159 and came with 95A which had a different driver package. I have a 95A cd from a Packard Bell oddly it also has IBM audio drivers for the Mwave and there is two patches for the card one of them is 16MB+ ram patch.

Reply 4 of 9, by Formulator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, the driver packages on the 2161 disk are for completely unrelated cards. The MWAVE drivers I have installed (20E) are direct from IBM's FTP site.

If you would, please check the README file on your disk and see if the release in version 2.3, 8/6/96, MWDSP460.INF, 2/15/96, MWAVE.INI INSTALLATION: W95TAPMAS13C TAPI release 2.31. Plus there are three sample folders: ADVANCED/MIDIMED/STANDARD totaling 20.1MB in size (although the setup files would obviously be compressed).

Thanks for checking and any help is appreciated.

Reply 6 of 9, by stuvize

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My version is 1.1 dated 7/11/1995 and only 5.08MB in size, it actually says that is only for a thinkpad so I don't think this is the version you are looking for, strange these drivers are on OEM Packard Bell disc

Reply 7 of 9, by Formulator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Arctic wrote:

I have the Miro Media connect 34 CDs - could the files be on them?
It is a MWAVE ISA soundcard / modem DSP

This looks to be the best bet so far, given the installation files contain 27MB of data. I have an Acer Aspire CD on the way which may have the proper files, however I would like to see the contents of the Miro Media CD as well.

Reply 8 of 9, by EkriirkE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Arctic wrote:

I have the Miro Media connect 34 CDs - could the files be on them?
It is a MWAVE ISA soundcard / modem DSP

You wouldn't happen to have an image/ISO of this disc available for download?

(can't PM, sorry for the bump)

Reply 9 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you just looking for the full midi samples? Or do you specifically want the image for that specific disc?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK