VOGONS

First post, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I've a few Mitsumi drives here that aren't working - giving the 'drive not ready, abort retry fail' error on DIr in DOS. The laser passing across the disk repeatedly so it looks like it's unable to track(?)

What's the best and safest method to clean the lens on the drives? The one I have open now has a slightly murky looking lens - these drives have been in an attic for a few years!

I have some 70% isopropyl wipes here, and some q-tips but I don't know if these are cotton or not? I don't want to scratch the lens...

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 5, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Q-tip (cotton buds) and Methylated spirits also works, just use the dry end afterwards.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 2 of 5, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use 91% isopropyl from a spray bottle. (Less water content. Evaporates fast.)
I usually just use the force of the spray and nothing mechanical.
Also works good to clean PC Boards.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 3 of 5, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks guys, I'll see what I can find at the weekend - might be a bit tricky to get hold of more isopropyl here. I'll try the chemists 😀

I quite like that idea of the spray bottle..

Reply 4 of 5, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sirlemonhead wrote:

Thanks guys, I'll see what I can find at the weekend - might be a bit tricky to get hold of more isopropyl here. I'll try the chemists 😀

I quite like that idea of the spray bottle..

You can ask for it in pharmacies. It commonly known as "rubbing alcohol" and I believe in UK/Ireland as "surgical spirit". Of course these guys should also know it as isopropyl alcohol or isopropanol. Just make sure it's isopropyl, (sometimes it can be ethanol!) and not scented or anything 🤣

Reply 5 of 5, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, "rubbing alcohol" or whatever it's called locally.
It comes in various strengths with the percent shown being how much is alcohol. The rest is water.
I've seen it everywhere from 50% to 99%. The 70% is most common in the US with 91% being the second most common.
The higher the % of alcohol the better it cleans and the faster it evaporates.
While the 70% will get the job done the 91% works noticeably better.
The 91% should not need any help drying out where the 70% may or may not depending on how humid it is where you live.

So long as you've flushed the area completely Isopropyl leaves behind no residue.
If you see a residue it is something the Isopropyl loosened up that didn't get flushed out.

If cleaning something large (like a whole motherboard) it's a good idea to use it outside or have a window open or do it in the bathroom with the exhaust fan going,

Denatured alcohol (ethanol based) is not the same thing and is not recommended for electronics work. (Least not by knowledgeable techs.)
It has other additives which are not standardized (different brands use different additives) and those additives may or may not leave a residue.
The residue may be oily, conductive or corrosive to electronics depending on what that company uses.

Smaller stores/pharmacies may only stock 70% where bigger stores usually have both 70% and 91%.
In the US if you are having trouble finding 91% - Walmart and some Sam's Clubs carry it. (And it's cheap there.)
Probably many other places I don't frequent as well.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.