VOGONS

Reply 21 of 28, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 1.19 MHz oscillator is probably for something other than the date/clock.

PCBONEZ - I am not quite sure what you are asking. The issue has been resolved. The 32.768 KHz crystal on the board had gone bad. I've replaced it and the system works fine now.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 22 of 28, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

The 32.768 KHz crystal on the board had gone bad. I've replaced it and the system works fine now.

AWESOME!
Glad it's fixed!

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 23 of 28, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's good to know. I guess maybe the oscillator was washed out with acid from the original battery? I think mine was a bit dull looking, implying it had been eaten by the acid. Perhaps the problem would disappear if I replaced it and it is such an easy job I will have to give it a try at some stage. I suppose it is possible, if the corrosion broke past the seal on the bottom of the can.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 24 of 28, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Note to self:
If you give up on and trash a mobo - save the crystals!

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 25 of 28, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At about 12 hours later with the system turned off, the time has drifted about 1hr 30 min. This could be due to,

a) the series cermaic capacitor needs replacement. It has 27J written on it, which I assume is 27 pF.
b) the replacement crystal has some drift in it, it was a desoldered piece
c) the 3V coin cell battery is insufficient.

I suspect c) is the most likely culprit. Does anyone know of any CR2032 battery holders (DIP) which will hold two CR2032 batteries in series? I do not want to mount some external battery holder with wires. Actually, this might be a good question for a new thread. Coin cell battery holder for holding 2 series CR2032 batteries

Reply 26 of 28, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree. 4.5V is generally considered what you need to hold the CMOS settings reliably.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 27 of 28, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also replaced the series 27 pF capacitor, however after doing so, the system was off by a factor of 5 again. I think the heat of the soldering iron on the crystal's pin must be jeapordising the cyrstals. I replaced the crystal again with another desolder, and it is counting normally again.

I find that even 3 V is fine to hold the CMOS settings. The issue only seems to be with the date clock.

Reply 28 of 28, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't had to replace a lot of crystals.
Perhaps using soldering heatsinks like when soldering those old 3-leg transistors and such is a good idea for crystals too.