VOGONS

First post, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!

I'm building an Intel P200MMX machine with primarily DOS gaming in mind (1985-95 era). I was planning on putting GUS Extreme there for GUS/SBPro sounds and LAPC-I for Roland LA synth. Apparently GUS Extreme lacks MPU-401 compatibility? I was hoping to also use Roland SC-55 through GUS for General MIDI. If it can be done, then there's no problem. Otherwise I'd rather dump GUS altogether and just use best possible Sound Blaster for FM sounds and as a MIDI gateway for SC-55.

Other sound card options I currently have to replace GUS Extreme:
- Sound Blaster 2.0 (CT1350B)
- Sound Blaster 16XV Vibra (CT4170)
- Sound Blaster 16C Vibra (CT4180)
- Sound Blaster AWE64 Value (CT4520)

So... should I GUS to Extreme or not? I really need that MPU-401 compatibility and to me it's more important than GUS, to be honest.

Reply 1 of 21, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe you can drive the SC-55 through the LAPC-I, but you need an external adapter of some sort. That would allow you running the GUS and LAPC-I with no resources conflicts whatsoever!

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have the breakout box for the LAPC-I then use this to drive your external modules and disable the GUS mpu-401 port completely.
The LAPC-I is basically a MPU-401 + CM-32L in one card (just like the SCC-1 is mpu+sc-55) and it's onboard MPU is a fully roland featured one with intelligent mode and all the groovy things old games like 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 21, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's the trouble... I don't have MCB-1 for LAPC-I and it's a tough thing to find one nowadays. Otherwise my LAPC-I would be ideal for SC-55 for obvious reasons. It's frustrating that LAPC-I requires specific kind of MIDI breakout box in order to work!

Reply 4 of 21, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think if you want to use Roland, use Roland. As in, use a LAPC-1 or a real Roland MPU-401 interface to one of their synth boxes (I don't think any Sound Blasters are fully MPU-401 compatible either, at least not in intelligent mode. Most sound cards aren't, and only work in UART mode. Afaik the GUS does that just as well as any SB).
GUS Extreme is a great card if you want all-in-one, but that means you'd use MegaEm to emulate MT-32/Sound Canvas. Which works well, but you seem to want to use the real thing.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 5 of 21, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yup. I was thinking on using GUS Extreme for GUS/SB and really hoping it would cope with SC-55 in "un"intelligent MPU-401 mode. But in another thread here on Vogons someone mentioned that GUS cards might require specific MIDI adapter to work, too (a bit like LAPC-I and MCB-1).

LA synth through LAPC-I, everything else through GUS Extreme. It would have been a nice all-around solution. But I guess I'll have to hunt down either MPU-401, MCB-1 or swap that GUS to another sound card altogehter. After all GUS sounds are just a bonus for me, I enjoy hardware accelerated Roland MIDI above all.

Last edited by Ariakos on 2015-11-26, 11:01. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 6 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have bought a genuine LAPC-I service manual, I'll go see if it covers the breakout box, maybe one can build a simpler version with only the midi-out ports and omit the metronome/tape controls

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 21, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The GUS Extreme has an ES1688 onboard, right? AFAIK that chip has a true MPU-401 interface, and if that is what the card exposes, should work great for anything GM, no?

Reply 8 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes, it will work just fine for UART stuff unless the GUS does something strange with the ESS chip. Basically every new GM/GS game won't have a problem.

Reply 9 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is the MCB-1 schematic , it seems that if you only want the 2x MIDI-OUT ports it's pretty straight forward, only a 74LS05 hex inverter along with some resistors are needed.

th_mcb-1_sch_zpscxyyhnps.jpg

Reply 10 of 21, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:
Here is the MCB-1 schematic , it seems that if you only want the 2x MIDI-OUT ports it's pretty straight forward, only a 74LS05 h […]
Show full quote

Here is the MCB-1 schematic , it seems that if you only want the 2x MIDI-OUT ports it's pretty straight forward, only a 74LS05 hex inverter along with some resistors are needed.

Hmmm. I think I'm going to try to configure my GUS Extreme first as jack-of-all-trades card this weekend. Not the easiest task but given how hard it is nowadays to come by with MPU-401 related hardware it's the quickest route to test. If I can get the ESS chip's MPU-401 and SoftMPU working with SC-55 I'm happy with the result.

But just for the sake of tinkering: Do you think I could safely ignore all the other connections (JK1, JK4-7) of MCB-1 diagram and just solder simple MIDI OUT box to use for connecting external modules like SC-55 to LAPC-I's MPU-401 unit? Won't LAPC-I mind if all other pins in the DB15 adapter are empty? I can get materials & do the soldering, that's not the issue. I just don't know how the card reacts to partially "dud" adapter and I'd hate to do unnecessary work.

Last edited by Ariakos on 2015-11-26, 19:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 21, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No need to bother with SoftMPU if all you're gonna do is play GM games through the GUS. GM games are happy with UART MPU-401 interfaces. IMHO I'd rather use the GUS for GM than the LAPC-I, simply because you can then run everything through a mixer and never have to worry about muting anything.

Reply 12 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, you can ignore everything else, you only need TXD , +5V and GND pins. The LAPC-I couldn't care less, atm you are using it with nothing connected and nothing strange happens 🤣
The amount of work needed is very little and you have lots to gain IMHO.

Reply 14 of 21, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PeterLI wrote:

MCB-1s pop up on eBay a few times a year and one classifieds sites as well.

...so they do. 🤣

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLAND-MCB-1-MIDI-C … X-/171989059071

Ouch. Well okay, it is unused and still in wraps but nevertheless. But I understand your point. As with everything else retro related you should always bide your time and wait until someone sells at an acceptable price exactly what you are after. Usually it just takes a lot of time.

Reply 15 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

just build the midi-out ports, use it and when a bargain comes for a mcb-1 you take it 😉

Reply 16 of 21, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:
Here is the MCB-1 schematic , it seems that if you only want the 2x MIDI-OUT ports it's pretty straight forward, only a 74LS05 h […]
Show full quote

Say, there's one capacitor (C1) in the MIDI OUT circuit diagram (in parallel with 74LS05 legs 14 and 7). How do you interpret that value, 0.1? Is that as in microfarads?

Reply 17 of 21, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, 0.1 microfarads (uf), same thing as 100 nF (nanofarads). It should usually be a ceramic capacitor.

With the 74LS05 you can leave unused pins floating, but this may not be the case with non-LS types.

Otherwise, if the LAPC-1 works without the MCB-1connected, it will also work with something partially connected.

Just make sure you use the right +5V pins and right GND pins and dont' short circuit them - I bet there is no fuse so nothing limits the current on 5V wires.

Reply 18 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Exactly what Jepael wrote, the 0.1uf cap is just a decoupling one to help the 74LS05...

Reply 19 of 21, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just thought to let you know that I ordered the materials for MCB-1 "Lite". Most expensive part was the aluminum case (almost 10€). 😀

Actually I still lack one last component: DB15 game port cable itself. I did order both male & female adapters to attach either one to the case so I could use detachable DB15 male/female or male/male cable but those are a bit "expensive" on eBay (around 20€ incl. shipping no matter whether you order form US or Germany). It's not much I know... but if you consider that all other parts altogether cost me less than that, it's the most expensive part of my little project. Maybe I'll just hunt down one defective or otherwise cheap old joystick and rip the cable from it. It's not like I need the cable to actually be detachable as long as it just works... after all the real MCB-1 has non-detachable one, too.