VOGONS

First post, by stuvize

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am not sure if anyone has already done this I couldn't find any treads on this exact combination or if they did they had compatibility issues, but I have found a way to have a SB16 run the sound and FM synth and have the AWE64 gold handle the wavetable in DOS. Basically what happens is the software and windows is tricked into thinking that the EMU chip on AWE64 is attached to the SB16, the resources for the AWE64 must be changed and then full duplex must be turned off on the SB16 then windows will start the hardware installation wizard thinking there is a new EMU device in the system, the odd thing is that I could only get to work with a SB16 pro CT2910 and the AWE64 gold CT4390 it may be possible with other models I don't have. I have read many other threads on sound card combos to get FM synth and wavetable, has anyone else tried this combination

Reply 1 of 7, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What for? AWE64 is basically SB16+wavetable. Are there any practical reasons to want to have such a combination? Not just "it sounds a little different because of OPL vs CQM or subtle changes in DSP/FM implementation".

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 7, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The original OPL sound vs. CQM must be the only reason. You can also add MIDI DB capability that way, but a Sound Blaster wouldn't be my first choice for that.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 3 of 7, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Add a Adlib Card ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 4 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stuvize wrote:

has anyone else tried this combination

Did something like that in 2011. Just used it briefly and in DOS only.
SB Vibra 16S / Vibra Pro / AWE64 output quality

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 5 of 7, by stuvize

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My original reason for doing this was to use the ide interface on my SB16 and still have the AWE64 wavetable apart from that it is only to get real FM its not just for sound quality either the system I am using it on has ISA IDE controller and with soft synth cards the FM synth will speed up and slow down with HD access. This setup is different from the setup mentioned in the other thread the AWE64 is set so DOS doesn't even know its there apart from its wavetable. I have tried other setups but they have compatibility problems and sometimes sound comes out both cards and a old game like Wolf 3D that has no resource configuration will try to run on both cards and the system will hang and a horrible noise will come out of the PC speaker. I would probably use a ADlib if I had one

Reply 6 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Strange that the Driver Software gets things confused like that. So mainly you want to combine the SB16 IDE-Header with the AWE64 Synthesizer. I have a CT1920 AWE upgrade card sitting below a SB16 in one system, which gives a similar result. Though I don't have much use for the AWE synth myself.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 7 of 7, by stuvize

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerwin wrote:

Strange that the Driver Software gets things confused like that. So mainly you want to combine the SB16 IDE-Header with the AWE64 Synthesizer. I have a CT1920 AWE upgrade card sitting below a SB16 in one system, which gives a similar result. Though I don't have much use for the AWE synth myself.

Yeah basically just trying to make do with the hardware I have wish I had had something to plug into wave header on the SB16 but just haven't been able to bring myself to spend $80+ on one, saw a SB16 SCSI with waveblaser on ebay for $35 didn't have mony in payapl by the time I got back from town it was gone and a week later a ebay store had it for sale at $135, I actually like the OPL4 general midi been looking for one of those daughterboards. One other plus to this setup is that with Wavesynth installed in windows the AWE64 adds reverberation to whatever is passed through it even in DOS