VOGONS

First post, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys - I've been wondering - is there any way to compile GL_Quake in such a way that it would be optimised to run on a 486 rather than e pentium?

Reply 1 of 43, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quake's special "Pentium" functions are more or less really the software spans driver and the lightmap texel-blending surfacecache update assembly routines with some abrashian black magic to get the pentium to write more pixels in parallel iirc, it's not relevant to GLQuake.

You'll get an increase if you turn off dynamic lights, less texture upload to go through.the slow PCI bus.

Last edited by leileilol on 2015-12-03, 17:10. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 43, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it should be gl_flashblend 1 that gains fps, not 0. Setting it to 1 disables dynamic light from entities.

You also didn't mention your 3d card. I played GLQ fine with a V2.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 43, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not the texture resolution that's the problem. It's the bus throughput and the reduction of it to inch closer to 30. A V2 makes a more practical choice over a V1 in a 486 with multitexturing alone.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 43, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GLQuake supports multitexturing through gl_sgis_multitexture. The trouble is - most current videocards not use this alias, they use gl_arb_multitexture instead.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 12 of 43, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I should try that - and I will as soon as I go grab one of my V2 cards from storage. Those figures are on par with what I remember of my first PC (Cyrix 133 - or 120 that came overclocked to 133? + CT6670). I remember I actually finished quake after buying my first V2 card and it was very playable.

Reply 14 of 43, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did - I kind of remember a green heatspreader with cyrix 5x86-133gp on it, and I DEFINITELY remember stuff like PCConfig, Norton Commander and DxDiag in windows reporting the CPU as a Cyrix Instead 586 clocked at 133MHz. The mainboard had a VIA chipset, no PS/2, and had PCI and ISA. It had a PCI Cirrus Logic 53xx video card and a 800mb quantum fireball HDD.

Reply 15 of 43, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have never seen a Cyrix 5x86-133GP with a green Cyrix heatsink. It is said that Cyrix sold all their 133 MHz varients to computer upgrade companies, so I would be very surprised if they use the Cyrix heatsink. Do you have a photo?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 16 of 43, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately no - I was too little back then. I also know that the 133mhz version does not come with a green heatsink, that's why I believe it might have been a 120mhz part overclocked to 133 by the system builders. Then again, I do remember it was running 33x4... dunno for sure - I was like 9 or 10 when I got it.

Reply 17 of 43, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recall the largest boost in performance on the software side was to turn off the gun motions. Did you try this?

Reply 19 of 43, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Really? Perhaps I recall incorrectly. Memory isn't what it used to be. But please correct me where I am mistaken. I thought for those Quake2 on 486 tests we did that turning off the gun image had the largest impact on icreasing the framerate. Is that only true for Quake2 and not GLQuake?