VOGONS

Reply 40 of 46, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GuyTechie wrote:

Can you replace the setup EXE with something that can still execute but not do anything? Like notepad.exe

It looks like the disc image is now available on VOGONSDrivers:

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … &menustate=52,0

I don't have any pending Win98SE builds to test this out on. If I get some time to play around, I'll test it out for fun. Of course, you could always try it out too.

Ideally, if this worked, it would make a nice official auto-update utility.

Reply 41 of 46, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Bios has no Option for Deactivating ACPI, but I think I can deactivate it in Win98se
Dos=high does not work. It's alway vmm32.sys activatet. If I add himem.sys to the config.sys
it simply does not change anything.

Attachments

• P1090652.JPG
    Filename
    P1090652.JPG
    File size
    4.28 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2016-10-27, 20:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 42 of 46, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

The Bios has no Option for Deactivating ACPI, but I think I can deactivate it in Win98se
Dos=high does not work. It's alway vmm32.sys activatet. If I add himem.sys to the config.sys
it simply does not change anything.

I don't think you can deactivate ACPI in Win98SE once it is already installed. The only way to do it is during installation:

setup.exe /p i

Reply 43 of 46, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I changed the config.sys. "Emm386 ram I=b000-b7ff i=e000-efff frame=e000". Now it works with ems.

Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2016-10-27, 22:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 46 of 46, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wasn't expecting my old thread to get necro'd, interesting.

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

That Geforce is gonna bottleneck your C2Q big time. What games do you plan on playing?

Well, you were entirely correct. I eventually went to a geforce 6800, then a geforce 7800 when I redid it and got the unofficial drivers working.

For those curious, with rlowe's patches and a number of other tweaks, I got the rig working perfectly. Unfortunately, due to quite a number of life events and changes of interests, I decided to part it out and sell it on eBay as I'm currently doing. Compatibility of Win7/10/What games don't have fixes. Had absolutely nothing to do with its effectiveness, I worked beautifully with dos, windows ME(how I solved the problem of this thread, its far easier and has far less patching options while benefiting more from them.), and XP in every game I tested. I just hated the fact that I needed a dedicated desk, and was trying to reduce the physical presence of nostalgia/vintage hardware from my bedroom in general. I'm basically replacing all of said hardware with an extremely small XP/win10 mini itx for emulation and a low maintenance vintage pc gaming os. At the same time I regret nothing, I've learned a lot and I had more fun with the challenge than the actual finished product.

I also agree that the uploaded cd looks like it would be pretty damn useful for future builds if it works.