VOGONS

First post, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I been playing empire at was on my dual 1ghz p3 setup and it's paying grate. I can almost max the game settings out. I believe that the fx5600 I have is holding it back. I get about 20fps in the bigger battles with the game on the second highest video settings with a max of about 30-35fps. On the lowest setting I get upwards of 60fps. Not bad at all. I attached a photo of task manager showing cpu usage will the game is running. its not us using a whole lot of one of the CPUs witch is making me think that it's setup for a p4 with hyperthreading. But I don't know. I'm going to play around with the cpu speed and see what happens.

Reply 1 of 6, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you compared to how it runs with only 1 CPU? You can right click on the process and use the "affinity" setting to restrict it to 1 CPU.
From the graph it looks like it's running about 40% on one CPU and 60% on the other, so it doesn't look like it's really utilizing multiple CPUs. That behavior is an artifact of how multitasking is handled by the OS.
Periodically the game process gets interrupted and goes back into a queue waiting for it's turn to continue running.
Whenever the operating system's process scheduler decides it's time to resume executing the game process, it will dispatch it to whichever CPU is convenient at the time. The process will end up bouncing between CPUs because of that.

I don't know what the utilization numbers were though, so I could be misreading the graph. If it ever runs above a full CPU worth of total utilization then that would mean it must be running some threads on each CPU concurrently.

Reply 2 of 6, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shamino wrote:
Have you compared to how it runs with only 1 CPU? You can right click on the process and use the "affinity" setting to restrict […]
Show full quote

Have you compared to how it runs with only 1 CPU? You can right click on the process and use the "affinity" setting to restrict it to 1 CPU.
From the graph it looks like it's running about 40% on one CPU and 60% on the other, so it doesn't look like it's really utilizing multiple CPUs. That behavior is an artifact of how multitasking is handled by the OS.
Periodically the game process gets interrupted and goes back into a queue waiting for it's turn to continue running.
Whenever the operating system's process scheduler decides it's time to resume executing the game process, it will dispatch it to whichever CPU is convenient at the time. The process will end up bouncing between CPUs because of that.

I don't know what the utilization numbers were though, so I could be misreading the graph. If it ever runs above a full CPU worth of total utilization then that would mean it must be running some threads on each CPU concurrently.

I have not yet. But task manager has stated that the game is uesing 60% cpu usage at times witch would lead me to believe that its using both. I'll try letting it only use one cpu and report back.
It very well be a multi threaded app. And not have true smp suport.

Reply 4 of 6, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool, if the FPS went down (and nothing else CPU heavy was running in the background) then that confirms it. It must be running multiple concurrent threads and truly utilizing both CPUs. Thanks for posting back.

Reply 5 of 6, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very cool. Nice 'discovery' saturn. .. It makes me wonder now if EAW runs faster on a fast dual piii system vs a slower HT p4 system.

My guess is that the p4 system would be faster but I guess I won't know until I give it a try one day when I have some spare time.

Anyways...good to know it takes advantage of a dual piii setup.

Reply 6 of 6, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Given that one cpu is hardly used I'm betting that it's built with the P4 with hyper threading in mind. I dont think is has true dual cpu support but is rather taking use of both threads. Also the FPS only went down in bigger battles and when there are a lot of units on the playing field or whatever you want to call it. It was not much, but I did notitic it. The second cpu was doing nothing when I disabled it and nothing else was running on the system.

Also steam recommends a Intel Pentium Dual Core CPU.