VOGONS

First post, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few months ago I got a hold of a few CPUs. And the two Pentium 3s I got had this blue thermal pad on the top of them: pd3TCQKh.jpg How would I get this off?

Reply 1 of 9, by ultimate386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I typically use a xylene based solvent for cleaning off thermal grease, pads, or other really sticky stuff. 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner works really well. Just be careful because it is nasty stuff (work outside, wear gloves). I know alcohol is generally recommended for cleaning, but I find it takes way too much time and effort where the xylene cuts right through.

AMD386/IIT387DX40, 32MB, ATi Mach64, AWE64
Compaq Prolinea 4/33, 32MB, Tseng ET4000, SB16
AMD X5, 64MB, S3 Virge/Voodoo1, AWE64
AMD K62+550, 256MB, Voodoo3, AWE64 Gold
P3 1.2Ghz, 512MB, Radeon 7500/Voodoo2 SLI, SB Live!

Reply 4 of 9, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nail-polish remover? Just moisten a cloth, don't saturate it because you don't want it to run all over the PCB surface. If it's stubborn then hold the cloth against the thermal material for a bit to soften it, first. I wouldn't suggest this method for a CPU with printed on markings on the heat-sink contact area.

Reply 5 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use an old plastic phone card for that as I found liquid cleaning agents don't do very well to remove that stuff.
An old bank card or other plastic card also works fine, but are a bit thinner.

The remains I kinda wipe off as usual (paper towel and cleaning alcohol).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 9, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just use alcohol and toilet paper.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7 of 9, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:

I just use alcohol and toilet paper.

I use them too but for a whole other occasion 🤣 😘
Mostly the alcohol first and then I need the toilet paper later on 😲 😵

But on a serious note, I have quite some plastic spatulas to get it off the top of the cpu. No need for alcohol usually.
If they are old and half sticky half dried out heating a bit and then using some cleaning paper works wonders too.

Reply 9 of 9, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't recommend Xylene. It's petroleum based and it or it's additives may eat the PCB material.
If you do use it rub the PCB down afterwards with isopropyl to remove any residual hydrocarbons and solvent additives.
Goof Off contains Xylene and 2-Ethanol. One of 2-Ethanol's trade names is Poly-solv.
I'd use ~91% isopropyl alcohol. Let it soak a bit (maybe 5 minutes) then attack it with one or some of: a fingernail, old credit card type card, wooden popsicle stick, plastic scraper, soaked Q-tips or something like that. Nothing too hard. Nothing hard enough to scratch it.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.