VOGONS

Reply 40 of 119, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to this here: http://m.ebay.com/itm/Cooler-Master-X-Dream-I … B-/321523622288?
It doesn't look like there is a groove on the bottom of it. But there is only copper near the center of it. Would it still work with Tualatin?

Reply 41 of 119, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope, no groove there.
That one has a pressed in or cast in copper slug. Much better than the screw-on copper plates.
Looks like a good cooler all around.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 42 of 119, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:

Nope, no groove there.
That one has a pressed in or cast in copper slug. Much better than the screw-on copper plates.

Alright, sweet. Can't wait to build this. Standard Artic Silver thermal paste should work on the CPU, right?

Last edited by MrEWhite on 2015-12-10, 13:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 43 of 119, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Repeating because the page flipped, so to speak, so I don't think you saw this.

CN-0H2678 is the Dell number which doesn't always give away the OEM.
Do you also see NPS-250KB ?

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2015-12-10, 13:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 44 of 119, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrEWhite wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

Nope, no groove there.

Alright, sweet. Can't wait to build this. Standard Artic Silver thermal paste should work on the CPU, right,

Standard Artic Silver will work fine.
Artic Silver is hyped up and costs more but that doesn't make it bad.

Reply 45 of 119, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:

Repeating because the page flipped, so to speak, so I don't think you saw this.

CN-0H2678 is the Dell number which doesn't always give away the OEM.
Do you also see NPS-250KB ?

I can't look at it rn but the full number on it is cn-0h2678-17972-43v-77n3 (which seems to have the NPS-250KB on it by google n stuff.)

Reply 48 of 119, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NPS = Newton Power Service
They are OEM only so even though they've been around for ages few people know who they are.
Their PSUs are high quality.

Reply 49 of 119, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
NPS = Newton Power Service They are OEM only so even though they've been around for ages few people know who they are. Their PSU […]
Show full quote

NPS = Newton Power Service
They are OEM only so even though they've been around for ages few people know who they are.
Their PSUs are high quality.

Alright, great.

Reply 50 of 119, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are Newton a Delta subsidiary, or is that scuttlebutt false? If they are part of Delta, it goes a ways to explaining the quality.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 51 of 119, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Are Newton a Delta subsidiary?

Not unless it's fairly recent.

Reply 52 of 119, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Delta is homed in Taiwan and Newton is out of Hong Kong.
Two of the few brands where if the label says 300 watts it really is 300 watts.

Their proper name is Newton Power LTD. I always get that wrong.
I think NPS actually means Newton Power Supply.

Reply 53 of 119, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some interesting data here...
http://www.deltathailand.com/imgadmins/financ … 11_15-35-50.pdf

Previous to 2001, Delta owned a 58% stake in Newton Power. In 2001 they purchased the remaining shares and Newton became a wholly owned subsidiary. I'm not sure when the last change in their stake was previous to this.

In short, Delta is a huge company with a lot of subsidiary holding companies. I would imagine getting a complete picture would take a fair amount of time.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 54 of 119, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I understand about the Coppermine grooves now, thanks for clearing this up 😀
And yes, it's an annoying design as it limits their usefulness a lot.

I've seen those a lot in the past, but never knew it could be called that way.
I'd forgotten about them already, probably because of their limited use.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 55 of 119, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to own a MSI 694T PRO - Via Apollo 133A board with the 694T chipset - Tualatin support out of the box and an ISA slot to boot. No issues with it whatsoever. I traded it for a socket A 3200+ and a couple of voodoo cards about a year ago, but it was the board I used in my P3 voodoo 2 SLi build for two years and had no problems with it whatsoever. Someone should make a list of socket 370 boards - boards with tualatin support and no ISA, boards with tualatin support and no ISA, boards w/o tualatin support and ISA, boards w/o isa and w/o tualatin support. It would make life easier for some of us 😀

Reply 56 of 119, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i dont think u will find an 815E chipset board with ISA slots
because i think they dont exist

http://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/des … ex/29859408.pdf

if i had that criteria for a build i would probably try to go for a 440BX board that had 3 ISA slots + a tualatin adapter
heres a list of 440BX boards with 3 isa slots: http://www.interloper.com/resultsmb.php?model … rchMb=List+Form

i had the supermicro P6SBA+ in the 90s + it was probably my most favourite motherboard ever - the quality was really top notch..
http://www.interloper.com/products/product-de … rch_str=bsearch
but i think u will need a board that also does 133fsb for tualatin..
i know my Abit BE6 does it but..
how many isa slots do u need?

Is 440BX the best chipset for Mid 90s to early 2000s gaming?
this thread seems relevant.. some screengrabs there of someone using a tualatin in a 440BX with it overclocked

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 57 of 119, by Stermy57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Chaintech 6VIA5T it's 370 micro atx,has one isa slot with VIA 694T so tualatin ready 😉 i've bought one some years ago, runs well and stable, no overclock settings but for me it's not a problem, i don't like to use overclocked parts for gaming. I hope that is the same even for you

Reply 58 of 119, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tualatin-P-IIIs-1-4GHz … r-/281238323137
check this description on this auction..
contains literally EVERYTHING u need to know

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 59 of 119, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:

Someone should make a list of socket 370 boards - boards with tualatin support and no ISA, boards with tualatin support and no ISA, boards w/o tualatin support and ISA, boards w/o isa and w/o tualatin support. It would make life easier for some of us 😀

This reply prompted me to look into my old text files with ebay search strings and I made a list of Tualatin boards and apparently also a list of s370 boards that had DDR slots (these might also include s370 boards which do not support Tualatin though).

I also never added i815 boards with ISA slots though, but I reckon those are more of a curiosity so I doubt this matters that much.

I'll go tidy up my lists and post them here, alright?

edit:
Heres the lists, I had to tidy them up a bit and the lists may contain errors like double names or maybe a board that doesn't belong here, but was otherwise interesting to me so I decided to include it anyway.

P3 Tualatin:
GA-6OXET
TUSL2-C
D815EEA2U
SY-TISU
Tomcat i815T
D815EEA2
GA-60XT
MS-6337 V5.0B
815EPT Pro
AE25 shuttle
BD133u IWill
CS30-TC
CS35-TL
CS35-TC
EP-3ETM
EP-3PTA
EP-3PTM
AX34-U
GA-6OXT
Compaq 239116-001
CT-6VIA5T
MSI 815EPT Pro
Abit ST6
694T,TUV4X
DFI CA64-TC
MSI MS-694T Pro
GA-6VTX
GA-6VTXE
GA-6VTXE-A
GA-6IEM
DFI CS62-TC
DFI CS32-TL
ABIT ST6-RAID
Soyo SY-TISU
EPox EP-3VSA
EP-3VSM
EP-3VSA
M6TSU
VT8633
SY-7VBA133U
Soyo 7VBA
AOpen AX3SP-U
Shuttle AV18ET
QDI ADVANCE 10T
ABIT VH6T
Soltek SL-65KV2-CT
Biostar M6VCT
CT-6VID/T
CT-6VJD2/T
CT-6VJD3/T
CT-6AJA4/T
CT-6VIA5/T

P3 DDR:
GA-6RX
MS-6365
MS-6366
AX37 Plus
AX37 Pro
370SDA
PRO266
CT-6VJD2
EP-3VHA
GA-6RXB
M6VLQ Pro
SL-65DRV
PRO266T
D1235
D1236
D1237
D1238
D1239
MSI 815EPT

Tualatin DDR:
CT-6VID
CT-6VJD3
P6VPA2T ECS

Last edited by Tetrium on 2015-12-21, 20:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!