VOGONS

First post, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I recently acquired 4 old computers and one of them has the legendary AMD K5-PR166 CPU. I wanted to remove the CPU to clean it a bit and I noticed that several (4 by my count) of the pins are completely missing. The previous owner hasn't started any of the computers in over 10 years. What can be done to remedy this problem? I suppose I could take it to a Jeweler and let him/her solder gold wire onto it or I can buy some gold wire and drop it into the socket manually. What else can be done? I've attached some photos that I've taken with my iPhone:

7YqYEESm.jpg

J7rEV5um.jpg

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 2 of 6, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't tried it personally but I've known a few people that were good enough with a soldering iron to simply solder the pins back on.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 4 of 6, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Evert wrote:

Well, what if the pins are literally missing?

You swipe some off a less desirable CPU or some other pinned IC chip or part.
Just make sure the diameter is right.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2015-12-09, 11:04. Edited 2 times in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 5 of 6, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have a dead cpu with same length pins as the K5 to sacrifice you can cut/break the pins off at the base and use a pair of tweezers to place them in the corresponding holes the missing pins would go in. Worked for me on a K5 and an Athlon 64x2 as well

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6 of 6, by tsalat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know it is an old topic, but I was recently solving a broken PIN on an old i486 DX 50 CPU. For me, a pin from this terminal header https://www.ebay.com/itm/170850551777 was working great, just soldered it in place and the CPU works. I am not sure about the length for the K5 but the OD should be 0,5mm (for K6-2 it was 0,5x2mm app.). For the i486 it was 0,5x4mm. At least my calliper told me so 😀

Maybe it will help someone during the repair if there will be no spare/bad CPU from where to take the pins.

br, tomas