VOGONS

First post, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm putting together a 486 system and I don't know a hole lot about them. Other then that I ALWAYS wanted one.
Right now I have a ati mach 32 ultra with 2mb of ram, a Yamaha ymf sound card. I just payed for a ASUS ISA-486SIQ 8mb ram and a 33mhz 486DX.
My plains for the system are to just play around with it, maybe play some doom or dark forces.

So I will need more ram and a faster cpu. Would a 486 overdrive be worth wile? or should I just get a 50 or 66mhz 486? Any tips on the ram? I know wiht newer systems you want the ram with the lowest timings pre given clock speed. Is this the same with 486 systems?
Should I get a better GPU? Or will the ati mach 32 do fine? what about terratec sounds cards ? Do they do well with Dos games? Or should I just get a sound blaster pro or 16?
How well do CF cards work in Dos? I know they suck in windows but rock with *inux OS's. Would OS/2 be worth wile or should I just stick with Dos/win3.1?

Anything I should know? beginner mistakes and so on?

Thankyou.

Reply 1 of 4, by AnacreonZA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As far as I remember from the Dark Forces setup program it only uses a maximum of 8MB RAM anyway, and I've never seen any benefit to giving Doom more than that either so you should be good as far as memory goes for those two games. The only DOS game I play that benefits from more than 8MB is Descent. A DX 33 is a little low-end as far as 486s go but many games will still be quite playable AFAIK.

Reply 2 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd suggest it's easier to not bother with any of the DX4 chips, a DX2-66 should be more than enough considering your board only has ISA slots.
I don't know about the RAM though, but if you stick with DOS then the 8MB wouldn't be much of a bottleneck I think.

So my advice is to keep things easy, just get a DX2-66 at the most (3.3v chips might give you trouble, just stick with 5v chips).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 4, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AnacreonZA wrote:

As far as I remember from the Dark Forces setup program it only uses a maximum of 8MB RAM anyway, and I've never seen any benefit to giving Doom more than that either so you should be good as far as memory goes for those two games. The only DOS game I play that benefits from more than 8MB is Descent. A DX 33 is a little low-end as far as 486s go but many games will still be quite playable AFAIK.

My copy of dark forces says it needs 8mb of ram and 16mb of ram is recommend. I'm not looking for quite playable but 60fps playable. Or as close as I can get to 60fps.
Also don't forget MW2, duke nukem 3d and shattered steel they all call for more then 8mb of ram if I recall,

Tetrium wrote:

I'd suggest it's easier to not bother with any of the DX4 chips, a DX2-66 should be more than enough considering your board only has ISA slots.
I don't know about the RAM though, but if you stick with DOS then the 8MB wouldn't be much of a bottleneck I think.

So my advice is to keep things easy, just get a DX2-66 at the most (3.3v chips might give you trouble, just stick with 5v chips).

Thanks, it's a 5v only board from what I know. What about the i486 overdrive CPU's ? Would it be better then a 486dx2-66? I may install windows 3.1 on the system. But I don't know yet. I'm thinking of getting 16mb of ram so I never have to bother with having to little ram.

Reply 4 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
saturn wrote:
My copy of dark forces says it needs 8mb of ram and 16mb of ram is recommend. I'm not looking for quite playable but 60fps play […]
Show full quote
AnacreonZA wrote:

My copy of dark forces says it needs 8mb of ram and 16mb of ram is recommend. I'm not looking for quite playable but 60fps playable. Or as close as I can get to 60fps.
Also don't forget MW2, duke nukem 3d and shattered steel they all call for more then 8mb of ram if I recall,

Tetrium wrote:

Thanks, it's a 5v only board from what I know. What about the i486 overdrive CPU's ? Would it be better then a 486dx2-66? I may install windows 3.1 on the system. But I don't know yet. I'm thinking of getting 16mb of ram so I never have to bother with having to little ram.

I'm really not that knowledgable when it comes to ISA graphics performance, I only know what I read on the net (like what others wrote on Vogons).
It never hurts to have extra memory modules (large sized modules! 😁 ) at hand 😀

The Intel Overdrives were specifically made to be "plug and play", in particular for boards that won't support CPU voltages under 5v (the overdrives are basically 3.3v (or similar) chips on a PCB with a voltage regulator so it will work on 5v boards), but unless you actually already have one in a drawer somewhere, I wouldn't bother buying one if they are still relatively expensive (especially compared to the performance the DX2-66 delivers and how many of the DX2-66's were made. They should be relatively cheap and most are 5v iirc).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!