sbpnp32 vs sbawe32

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 83, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FGB wrote:

If you have a ICS Wavefront card with sample RAM or have good ideas, suggestions, interest, I invite you to join the conversation and participate in the project.

Thanks, unfortunately I only have Turtle beach Rio daughterboard...

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 81 of 83, by BishopHavok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FGB wrote:

The effects processor is integrated into the EMU8000 chip.

All EMU8000 cards have Reverb & Chorus. The difference is the routing of the signals. On all AWE32/64 models and the SB32 CT3670, the CQM or OPL (FM-Music) output is routed THROUGH the EMU8000 processor and one can apply Reverb & Chorus even within DOS (with the AWEUTIL). SB32 models (except CT3670) don't have the CQM signal routed through the EMU hence one cannot apply Reverb & Chorus to the FM-Music with these cards. In reality, the CT3670 is a AWE64 in disguise. It acutally uses the AWE64 chipset (and has the 4.16 DSP).

Note that the effects can't be applied to the wavetable synth via the AWEUTIL in DOS. In pure DOS, there is no way to change the effects on the AWE wavetable including the GM / GS / MT32 emulation.

Disappointing, but thanks for the info.

Reply 82 of 83, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FGB wrote:

Because it can be really confusing to determine which model of the SoundBlaster card has a real OPL3 or the Creative made CQM, I started to make a matrix which shows which card uses what method. It's still imcomplete but you may have a look:

http://www.amoretro.de/guides-workshops/creat … r-modellnummern

Really helpful, I might have some additions.

It would also be noteworthy that for the cases where the OPL is routed through the Emu8K only 30 voices are available for wavetable playback.
I am not sure if it is possible to distinguish that from software side, however applications seem to default to 30 even when the cards revision allows the Emu8K to use 32 voices.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 83 of 83, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the great hierophan pointed out that the guspnp and the sb32 did came out too late and the new windows driver model could not care less of such soundcard