Topic actions

Reply 40 of 47, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
chrisNova777 wrote:

"offical" support for ATI ends with the x800 XT.. (excludes the x850 XT) from what i read just a moment ago
and of course GF6 series for nvidia.. "officially"

It does not. I have a sapphire X850XT AGP in one of my socket A rigs and it installed w/o issue. I used either 6.2 or an older version of catalyst - 5.8 perhaps - no sure. I am sure however that the card is a x850XT AGP made by sapphire.

im ok with being corrected 😉 as long as the right information is provided in the end;)
the line of "last official support" is always usually vary hazy to make out

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 41 of 47, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Free anti-aliasing is always nice. 6800 series for a fast Pentium III is not half bad. I'd avoid 6600GT since they are usually less compatible.

Also, forget about the 7600GS or any other 7xxx series card in Win9x. Only headaches can come out of this. 7600GS is actually quite a bit slower than an 6600GT even, so I don't really see the point.

Reply 42 of 47, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is a X850 XT PE AGP review: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/radeon-x850-xt … ion-agp-review/

Features a few other AGP cards too.

Good comment about the 6600GT AGP. What I found is that the reference design cards hardly work. I've had nothing but trouble, and have 3 of them. The version that works is from Palit / XpertVision. It uses a custom PCB design and that card works flawless in every machine I tried. Quite odd...

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 43 of 47, by Stermy57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:
This might be of interest to the Radeon X800 / X850 cards. These are the Catalyst® Version 6.2 for Windows ME Release Notes: […]
Show full quote

This might be of interest to the Radeon X800 / X850 cards. These are the Catalyst® Version 6.2 for Windows ME Release Notes:

The Catalyst® software suite is designed to support the following ATI product family: […]
Show full quote

The Catalyst® software suite is designed to support the following ATI product family:

Radeon® 9800 series
Radeon® 9000 series
Radeon® 9700 series
Radeon® 8500 series
Radeon® 9600 series
Radeon® 7500 series
Radeon® 9500 series
Radeon® 7200 series
Radeon® 9200 series
Radeon® 7000 series
Radeon® 9100 series
Radeon® Xpress 200 series

This Catalyst software suite also provides Beta software support for the following ATI products:

Radeon® X850 series
Radeon® X550 series
Radeon® X800 series
Radeon® X300 series
Radeon® X600 series

Official beta support sounds good enough to me 😀 Was the X850XT PE available in AGP?

Source: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_62_ME_re … ease_notes.html

of course i've bought some weeks ago an asus x850xt pe agp with bundle

Reply 44 of 47, by Stermy57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
matze79 wrote:

For Soulreaver 2, apply patch 1.02 and change HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Crystal Dynamics\Soul Reaver 2\1.00.00\DisableVShader to 1 .

And here you go.

thanks for this tweak 😉 anyway i'm refering to Soul Reaver 1 made in 1999

Reply 45 of 47, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote:

Yes it was

http://www.chip.de/ii/111446380_ec938ff044.jpg

They use a Bridge CHIP like nvidia.

No bridge chips on the X800 or X850.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_X800_Series

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 46 of 47, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote on 2015-12-21, 06:08:

If you do get a 6800 card use forceware 66.93. Anything else seems to break compatibility with one game or another. Also you need to make sure of two very critical things:

1. Your motherboard has a AGP 4X slot. i810/i815 and Via Apollo PRO 133A have that. Some later 440bx revisions might but I wouldn't bet on it. The 6800 REFUSES to work on AGP2x (system freeze, BSODs, the works).
2. Make sure you get an EARLY 6800 card w/o the PCI-E to AGP bridge, it's the only one that supports 3.3v signaling. If you get a later model and stick it into a P3 board you will fry both card and motherboard.

Hello. Sorry for necroing old thread, but I need to react, as this was not disproved later in discussion, and it's very important.

You will not fry the 6800 card in Pentium III board. Because, there is no 0.8V-only graphic card in reality. Every late AGP card that is AGP 8x, can run AGP 4x also, and knows 1.5V and 0.8V signaling. So when you put it into old Pentium III AGP 4x board (i815, Via Apollo 133A), it will just run in 1.5V AGP 4x mode. You cannot put it into BX chipset, or any older chipset with AGP 2x, because it physically doesn't fit in, if it's AGP 8x card. It will have only one cut in AGP port, that fits only late 1.5v AGP slots or Universal slots (they know 3.3V and 1.5V signaling)
It will not have mark on AGP slot for old AGP 2x slot. You would need to cut hole into AGP slot of the card, to put it into AGP 2x 3.3v only slot.
The only danger is on some weird motherboards, they used Universal AGP slot , because the probably had only those physicaly, while motherboard was not AGP 4x and didnt know 1.5V signaling. In this case, you will fry it, but it's the fault of motherboard maker, that made motherboard wrong way, and used improper AGP slot and soldered it into motherboard. In manual it needs to be stated, if it knows both 1.5V and 3.3V signaling, only then it's real Universal AGP slot (this is really bad practice by motherboard manufacturer btw, when they did it, luckily, it was very rare). Same goes, if they use Universal AGP slot on motherboard, while it is AGP 2x only (3.3v). If you put 1.5v or 0.8v AGP 8x card only, you will fry it too. But again, if motherboard manufacturer doesnt use Universal AGP slot where it should not be, and as far as I know, decent companies never did it, you cannot fry AGP card in AGP slot. It eighter won't fit in, or run properly, when you can put it in. Only exception is, when motherboard manufacturer make AGP slot wrong way (Use Universal AGP slot, while it's not and should be used 1.5V only or 3.3v only slot)

More of it here:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.h … sal15vagp30card

Last edited by W.x. on 2021-01-28, 13:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 47 of 47, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually, it was already been proven that even some GeForce 7900 AGP cards, which obviously use HSI bridge, support 3.3v signaling. And apparently HSI always had that feature. So in theory, if you use AGP riser, any HSI bridged GeForce could work.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.