VOGONS

Reply 41 of 45, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jheronimus wrote:

Another weird thing I've noticed: every time I move the mouse, there's some noise coming from the speakers. It's not too loud, but it's noticeable

Doesn't that have something to do with interference or with shielding? Or perhaps grounding issues?
Is your electricity socket in the wall a grounded one??

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 42 of 45, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is probably due to poor shielding somewhere. I have a machine or two where, depending on how the wires at the back are positioned, I get a simillar effect. Moving the mouse cable away from stuff helps.

Reply 43 of 45, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

This is probably due to poor shielding somewhere. I have a machine or two where, depending on how the wires at the back are positioned, I get a simillar effect. Moving the mouse cable away from stuff helps.

Yes! As soon as moved the speakers a bit further from the mouse, and the mouse cable a bit further from them, the noise stopped.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 44 of 45, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:
alexanrs wrote:

Run TCPOptimizer. Windows 98's TCP stack comes optimized for dial up connections. TCPOptimizer changes this and speeds up networking quite a bit.

Wow, thanks. I'll definitely try that tonight!

Using TCPOptimizer allowed me to go from 150-200 KB/s to 350-400. Maybe at this point it's just a question of HDD speed? I'm kind of feeling that Quantum Fireball 2.5a is slowing my whole system down anyways, not to mention the 2,5GB, so I'll probably get an 80GB WD disk tomorrow. BTW, if the LBA BIOS patch doesn't work, and the disk doesn't have a 32GB switch, I'll still be able to use it, right?

P.S.: Funny thing is, I've read a Russian '97 magazine about gaming saying that "2,5 gigs should be enough for everyone, don't bother getting anything bigger". Feels like a lot more has changed between 1997 and 1999 than, say, 1995 and 1997.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 45 of 45, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CD-Rom was becoming standart and data sizes growed big 😀

If you disk is recognized you can use a diskmanager Software like kroll ontrack or maxblast etc.
So you can use full capacity.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board